Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grade 7/8 dances

Banned

Default Re: Grade 7/8 dances

Quote Originally Posted by SIMBA View Post
    Yes I know exactly what I said and what I meant. You don't. You like to argue and analyze everything, nothing new.
    Lol what you say and what you mean are two different things, noted. You are right though arguing is my thing. My other thing is showing hypocrisy. You are always on board to judge other parenting and to say how you would have acted in a parents place. If a mother sent her kid to one of these dances and the kid got punched out, you would be the first to say I wouldn't have let my kid go to one of the dances. All you wanna do is pretend you are the greatest parent ever, but most of us see through you even if they won't admit it. Just say I know this goes on, I send my kid because I trust his decisions.

Simba I agree with you....if more parents taught their kids right from wrong. things would be better. However. it's always the mothers that have to teach their YOUNG kids what to do.........I know back when my kids were young.....it was me who had to make sure where they were going and why?????

Yes dances for 7 and 8's should not be.

When my son went to Bawaqing at 14 he knew every kid that smoked pot and took dope. He always stayed away from those losers , He was active in sports and had no time for that stuff.

Kudos to your son for coming home.

All you wanna do is pretend you are the greatest parent

I am a good parent. Countless people tell me so...who are you? No one.
    "Now you're just somebody I used to know"

Banned

All you wanna do is pretend you are the greatest parent

I am a good parent. Countless people tell me so...who are you? No one.
    That would mean you are arguing with yourself. Straight jacket time?

12 and 13 year olds drunk and high???? Where are the parents?

Let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

the parents probably don't know. it's not like it's a new thing for kids that age to sneak around and experiment. yeah, it's a bit young but it's not all that uncommon. we all had to check our coats and pass a breathalizer to get into school dances. that pretty much eliminated most of the drug/alcohol issues. i don't see why 12/13 are too young to enjoy dancing. they are probably not getting all into the slow songs.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

There were kids being dragged out by the police both times. I was talking to a few parents this morning.
    Police are not there. My son's school put on the dance back in Dec. I was at that dance and the police were not present nor security gaurds. The police were called on 2 kids that were trying to steal property out of the coat check. The police are not there unless called. These dances are only chaparoned by the parents/teachers and/or organizing committee.
    That is unfortunate to hear. I can state with certainty that it IS the case with the public board 7/8 dances. I would have assumed that the separate board would have just as stringent policies, but apparently not.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

The public board does yes, you are right. I did call the police station and asked and they told me that there is always one "booked" for the separate school board so that in the event of a problem the cop goes immediately.
    "Now you're just somebody I used to know"

The public board does yes, you are right. I did call the police station and asked and they told me that there is always one "booked" for the separate school board so that in the event of a problem the cop goes immediately.
    Unless the fresh doughnuts are coming out of the oven at timmies!

my son goes to the seven eight dances once in a while, he has went to mostly White Pines but he has went to St Basils. He has never mentioned a problem never called to come home early and he said that there are security guards not police at the dance. I am not say there isn't a problem but saying he never mentioned any problems he could be like an ostrich though! LOL! At the first sign of trouble he knows to call and someone will pick him up and he probably wouldn't go back. Apparantly there is one kid in his class that smokes dope at age 12! This kid is a peice of work though his parents have never had any control over him!
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

sitting in a rocking chair in the good ole Soo

It is a complex problem- how much "freedom" should kids be allowed. I too grew up in the same general generation that HDV did and enjoyed much the same kind of freedom and think kids of more recent years are deprived. Sadly, it is OUR generation that set society on the slippery slope towards what it has become. We took our freedoms and slowly but surely changed how we live amongst one another. We did away with front porches and neighbours watching over all the kids who happened to be outside playing for privacy fenced-in back yards with decks/patios such that now most don't know who most people living on the street are. We went from kids being outside, using their imaginations when they played,etc. to kids being put in structured activities with a gazillion rules. We went from the neighbourhood kids walking to school-the older kids watching the younger ones-to insisting our kids should be bussed. We went from wearing age-appropriate clothes to thinking how cute it was to let little kids dress like Britney Spears et al and then complained about how kids at ever younger ages were becoming sexualized.

I don't have the answers but I think it is too bad that the response is to keep kids away from stuff rather than trying to find realistic, viable ways of allowing these activities to take place in a safe, supervised manner. Whatever happened to a group of parents chaperoning? Close checking of the kids allowed in? Once you're in, you can't leave and return?.Hallways monitored for kids needing to use the washrooms? Etc., etc.

My kids weren't angels but their misbehaviour only went so far. They knew that if they were stupid enough to do something that landed them in jail, we would NOT be posting bail and they WOULD be facing the consequences both from the justice system and us....and luckily they liked the life they had and didn't want to see it gone.

We are the ones who set society on the seashift change in how it operated......I wonder if we had known then what we know now about what kind of childhood our grandkids would experience, would we still have set that change in motion.
    For the beauty of the earth,
    For the beauty of the skies...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karen-Annie View Post
    It is a complex problem- how much "freedom" should kids be allowed. I too grew up in the same general generation that HDV did and enjoyed much the same kind of freedom and think kids of more recent years are deprived. Sadly, it is OUR generation that set society on the slippery slope towards what it has become. We took our freedoms and slowly but surely changed how we live amongst one another. We did away with front porches and neighbours watching over all the kids who happened to be outside playing for privacy fenced-in back yards with decks/patios such that now most don't know who most people living on the street are. We went from kids being outside, using their imaginations when they played,etc. to kids being put in structured activities with a gazillion rules. We went from the neighbourhood kids walking to school-the older kids watching the younger ones-to insisting our kids should be bussed. We went from wearing age-appropriate clothes to thinking how cute it was to let little kids dress like Britney Spears et al and then complained about how kids at ever younger ages were becoming sexualized.

I don't have the answers but I think it is too bad that the response is to keep kids away from stuff rather than trying to find realistic, viable ways of allowing these activities to take place in a safe, supervised manner. Whatever happened to a group of parents chaperoning? Close checking of the kids allowed in? Once you're in, you can't leave and return?.Hallways monitored for kids needing to use the washrooms? Etc., etc.

My kids weren't angels but their misbehaviour only went so far. They knew that if they were stupid enough to do something that landed them in jail, we would NOT be posting bail and they WOULD be facing the consequences both from the justice system and us....and luckily they liked the life they had and didn't want to see it gone.

We are the ones who set society on the seashift change in how it operated......I wonder if we had known then what we know now about what kind of childhood our grandkids would experience, would we still have set that change in motion.
    You sound like a reasonable person. Why take experiences like this away from kids, especially when they have proven they can handle it. If they make a mistake, learn from it. I think taking this stuff away instead of dealing with it is the lazy way out.

In that box on the corner ...i have a laptop jacked into your house

humm im 30 .. i grew up in the west end .. when i was 12 i had a gun pulled on me at a dance .. there were people drunk and high ... when i was in my teens 15-16 same crap .. over and over .. so for the past 18 years that i have known these things have always happend ... no big surprise to me ... heck i remember when they had knife fights and a friends brother ended up in jail for defending himself ...

i remember stoys my grandfather told me how dances had drunk kids and fights ... that was in the 40s and e had 14 brothers and sisters so he didnt have to worry to much about te punks of their day when he was a teen .. humm still the same today just you get to hear more of it do to the ready and willing media outlets ... back then you had to walk and talk and tell a story .. now you can type it on your phone and it can go viral ... in minutes ... its all about perception .. when you were a kid you didnt hear of these things cause your parents would shelter you from the bad parts of the world .. unfortunatly for me my mom taught me about all the dangers at a young age ...
    The world is so beautiful i hurt.
    If you look closely, you can see beauty in everything.

this is how we thought about it when our daughter was going. better she go now, when sshe is young and we can better control the situation. because once they get older you lose more and more control. and they are going to be in situations with drugs and alcohol and other bad stuff. but when they are younger if you can get that seed planted about how you feel about it. it gets you talking and dealing with situations before they get too big.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information