Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I seen .....

Default I seen .....

Cambrian mall today in the mens can was a box that use for used syringes , well there is one in the can there by the food court,dam it was half full. I don't get it.
    That's what she said !

Default Re: I seen .....

Um I would think for diabetics (would be my first thought), Or possible drug usuers.... so this stuff is being disposed of properly.. JMO.. Id much rather this stuff being disposed of like that then, or could only hope that is why they are in public places.. to try to get it off the streets..

I think needle boxes are becoming a thing of the future in public places.. Much like in girls bathrooms the sealed sanatiry boxes, that I think are used cause of girls menstrations pads etc....

P.s. I think with all the hep b/c and aids these are now proper measures and only to protect our future for our children.. bout time the goverment does something right...

Too many people are just tossing their used needles in the garbage, rather than properly disposing of them. These needle boxes have been popping up all over, and a good thing too!

Would you want to be the one taking out the bag of garbage and getting poked by someone's used needle through the garbage bag otherwise? Or throwing your used paper towel in the full garbage and getting poked by a used needle? Never know what could happen, at least by putting these sharps disposal units right in front of people they (hopefully) don't even need to consider putting it in the garbage instead.

Just one example of what could happen.....

A 44‐year‐old trash collector was
    stuck in the leg with a needle from
    someone’s trash. A year later, he
    started having stomach pains. His doctor
    told him that he had contracted Hepatitis
    C, probably from being stuck by the
    needle. Doctors have not been able to
    help him, and he is now in chronic liver
    failure. He will likely die from this
    disease.
    It’s not just trash workers who are at risk
    of needle sticks – it’s also your neighbors,
    children, janitors, housekeepers, and
    pets. That’s why used needles should not
    be thrown in the garbage.
    I'm paranoid when it comes to my used needles, if I need a needle while I'm out I bring my used needle home too make sure I dispose of it properly. I'm the only one touching them, I won't put my kids at risk for anything that I can avoid just by using common sense!

In this day and age their are so many of us who use needles on a daily basis, you wouldn't know it just by looking at someone that they do. And if the container was half full it might only be from a couple of days. Alot of people go to the Cambrian Mall for bloodwork and have to fast (no food = no needle/insulin) so after they go grab a coffee and a muffin in the foodcourt and because they're eating they need their insulin. Smart move on the malls part putting the Sharps containers there.

And if you do use needle, did you know Shopper's offers a "Free" Sharps container exchange program? You get a Sharps container from them (free), bring it back when it's almost full and they'll give you another one.
    ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•. ¸¸❤¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Yes, I like having these sharps buckets around... beats having to reassemble my needles and putting them back in my case. When I was young I was emptying our garbage at home and got jabbed by one of my younger brother's lancets. Scared the ever loving Christ outta me.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

If it's for diabetics,then why wouldn't there be one in each can at station mall. I understand what u mean for use for diabetics. Well for me i get around quite abit and I have not seen any syringes laying around.
    That's what she said !

If they're thrown in a trash bag you probably won't see them laying around, no?

Why aren't they in the stalls? Convenience, more than likely. Alot of times I just run into the bathroom to do my needle, so I'm not doing it in the open public area. Plus whoever has to empty them, it'd be easier just to empty one then have to go in each stall for a couple needles and deal with the container they put them in, holding the stall door, and not dropping anything in the toilet at the same time.

If they were in the stalls it may lead to a possibility of curious children to stick their fingers in. I think it's a great idea to have them easily accessible for the public to dispose of their sharps.
    Many people don't realize it may be for diabetics and unfortunately some can make assumptions that they are there for drug users. It's nice that the mall has provided them.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by A*lil*Loopy View Post
    If they were in the stalls it may lead to a possibility of curious children to stick their fingers in.
    YIKES!!!! For sure!!!

Just for peoples knowledge.....all garbage collecters and men working at the dump must be up to date in all their shots.

you can't stick your fingers in.. barriers prevent that.

there is a health clinic in that mall now so don't fret - I am sure they are legit users

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information