Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to the Greyhound?

Red face Alternatives to the Greyhound?

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I'm sick of the greyhound service from here to Toronto. The buses are clearly past their time. I come from a 3rd world country, where buses are already equipped with nearly fully reclinable seats, television, personal adjustable air vents, power sockets, and in some cases free wi-fi. Now I know I'm talking semantics because clearly here in Canada more people own cars etc. But I'm just trying to illustrate how pathetic the service here is (not to mention you travel for nickels and dimes over there).

It's a long 12-14 hour ride, where I'm limited to doing one of two things: Reading, or sleeping. My laptop only lasts about an hour. Sleeping is impossible most of the time, and I get caught up in my reading in no more than maybe an hour or so. Complete waste of a day in an uncomfortable bus.

I already know of Porter. I've taken it back during christmas, but it's not really something I can afford all year long.

Apart from the obvious (hitching a ride with someone). Is there a 3rd alternative to get to Toronto?
    There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved. - Charles Darwin

Default Re: Alternatives to the Greyhound?

Short answer......nope!

I was going to suggest via rail from Sudbury but I just looked it up and apparently it takes 8 hours to get to Toronto by train lol. So like Huggy said nope!

I guess you could consider since it's close to the time spent on the greyhound now. I'm not sure if the extra hassles of getting to the trainstation and trying to time it with a greyhound arrival are worth it. You might want to look into it though.

http://www.viarail.ca/en

SooToday used to have a car pooling section. I always saw ads for people looing for riders to help share gas. Maybe you could post an ad also.

Snowshoe, skate, walk, bike, snowmobile, pogo stick, unicycle, crawl, peddle car, or electric bike with a long extension cord, .... take your pick, .....
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Handyman you miseed one...boat any version down the st mary's into the lake system. Right now that might be a cold slow ride since its frozen over however.
    MagicFingers

rental car
    It's a Ford thing, you wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handyman View Post
    Snowshoe, skate, walk, bike, snowmobile, pogo stick, unicycle, crawl, peddle car, or electric bike with a long extension cord, .... take your pick, .....
    Horse

Actually, have you checked out the price (if booked ahead) of the flights between here and there. Years ago, the price wasn't too bad versus the car ride. Not really sure, but don't most if not all flights that leave here, head to Toronto first?
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf 1 View Post
    Actually, have you checked out the price (if booked ahead) of the flights between here and there. Years ago, the price wasn't too bad versus the car ride. Not really sure, but don't most if not all flights that leave here, head to Toronto first?
    "I already know of Porter. I've taken it back during christmas, but it's not really something I can afford all year long."

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypsePlease View Post

but it's not really something I can afford all year long.
    wouldn't it be better to live in one place then?

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarie View Post
    "I already know of Porter. I've taken it back during christmas, but it's not really something I can afford all year long."
    I don't understand this statement, since the Porter sale flights are cheaper than taking the Greyhound. Both of my SIL's have been flying Porter for over a year for every trip home due to this fact. As long as you book in advance/plan ahead it actually SAVES money. Greyhound is overpriced, slow and frustrating.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

You have to be rich to take the Grey Hound. $96 one way to go to Northbay! I can drive there and almost back for that much even with gas at $1.30 per litre.
    Last edited by Lance1; 02-26-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance1 View Post
    You have to be rick to take the Grey Hound.
    I knew a guy named Tom that took Greyhound once! :-)

hahahahahahaha, that's funny

Oops sorry grammar cops. I hear the the Sudbury 2 hours transfer is alot of fun for the money they charge also.

Oops sorry grammar cops.
    No criticism intended Lance. Typos happen; I make enough of my own. Some typos are just a chuckle waiting to happen.....couldn't resist.

.... I can drive there and almost back for that much even with gas at $1.30 per litre.
    True.

If you own the car first.
    "Christianity is like a nail, the harder you hit it, the deeper it goes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    True.

If you own the car first.
    The bank tells me that if my payments remain current I can tell people the car is mine, is that copacetic?
    I don't share my thoughts because I think I might change the minds of those of opposing views, I share my thoughts to show those who share my views they are not alone.

there should be a train system that would take you to toronto.. but it would be just as long as greyhound. Um, your better off flying. I took the greyhound to toronto and back...was..not..fun. Or you could share a ride with someone.
    Its always FUN to do the IMPOSSIBLE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information