Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Interpretations

Default Re: Interpretations

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    Sure I do. But no matter how I explain, you don't seem to get it.

Remember the Golden Rule??

Break it and sin. Simple.
    There are multiple "golden rules"
    You have not defined anything, you have given examples, and used ambiguous terms... neither doing anything to define anything. Face it, you do not know what sin is, you just jump on the band wagon with everyone else thinking you know what it is so you can feel good about yourself for telling people they are born sinners.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    There are multiple "golden rules"
    You have not defined anything, you have given examples, and used ambiguous terms... neither doing anything to define anything. Face it, you do not know what sin is, you just jump on the band wagon with everyone else thinking you know what it is so you can feel good about yourself for telling people they are born sinners.
    Isn't THAT interesting! First time for the claim of "multiple Golden Rules". I would be very interested if you would post some of the others. Please make sure they don't say the same thing in different ways, though.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    Jack, I don't think you know what interpretation means nor what being objective means for that matter.
    What's with all the need for definitions?
    We're online...!!!

I know full well what interpretation means.

....maybe it's not me that needs the help?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Butler View Post
    ..I know full well what interpretation means....
    We know. You're just terrified to actually engage in it.

Just like RW.
    Last edited by Barry Morris; 03-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Got to give credit where credit is due: Well done, Jack Butler!!
    Serene

...of the bible.

So what don't Blunt, Jack Butler, and Dancing Queen not like when it comes to portions of the bible requiring interpretation?? What do you argue with??
    If I may be so bold as to interject...here is my issue: where in the Bible does it say the Bible should be interpreted by each person on their own? Scripture verse, if you please.

thanks.
    Serene

Acts 17:11
    11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
    (KJV)

11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.
    (NAS)

They did not go to their church to ask what was true, they searched it for themselves.

“Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.” -Acts 8:30-31

“But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.” -2 Peter 1:20-21

John 20:30-31

Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Now, there are many, many more passages that refute SS. Here's your quandary: you believe in "Bible Alone", yet it is clear even from these few passages that just from the Bible alone we cannot clearly state the Bible supports SS.

SS contradicts itself.
    Serene

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
    (KJV)

11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so.
    (NAS)

They did not go to their church to ask what was true, they searched it for themselves.
    This passage seems to have recently become one of the more popular to be cited in support of Sola Scriptura: Protestant “ministries” and publications have even appeared with “Berean” in their name or title.

But the behavior of the Bereans is being contrasted with the behavior of the Thessalonians, so we must resort to the account of Paul’s stay in Thessalonica to provide the necessary context: “As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving that the Christ had to suffer and rise from the dead. ‘This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Christ,’ he said” (Acts 17:2-3).

We can see, now, that Paul’s use of Scripture in his preaching at Thessalonica and Berea was very specific: he was explaining to the Jews how the Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah were fulfilled in Jesus of Nazareth. Where else would one look but in the Sacred Scriptures to see if Scriptural prophecies have been fulfilled? Indeed, there is no reason to think that the Berean Jews were doing anything more than merely verifying that St. Paul’s quotations from their Sacred Scriptures were genuine and accurate.

Sometimes it will be pointed out that the Bible says the Bereans were “more noble” than the Thessalonians — and that they were so because they “examined the Scriptures every day....”24 But this is reading into the text what isn’t there; for St. Paul had reasoned with the Thessalonians, too, from their Sacred Scriptures, and hadn’t convinced them: the Bereans, therefore, are “more noble” because they “received the message with great eagerness”, not because they were early practitioners of Sola Scriptura.

Moreover — and once again — the Scriptures referred to here are the Sacred Scriptures of the Jews, the Christians’ Old Testament. Protestants fall short of the logical conclusion: if this passage teaches Scripture Only, then it teaches Old Testament Scripture Only.

http://catholicity.elcore.net/BibleOnlyVersesNot.html
    Serene

Were they talking about the NT? Of course not, it wasn't even written yet.

Or, wait ...they just assumed there would be a NT a few hundred years hence??
    Serene

Good cut and paste.

Too bad.

I don't suppose you can find Scripture that tells us to look to a Magisterium for the correct interpretation???

P.S. You're assuming my beliefs again.

Good cut and paste.

Too bad.

I don't suppose you can find Scripture that tells us to look to a Magisterium for the correct interpretation???
    I already have. And what does it matter if I cut and paste or summarize what was said? You're just trying to avoid the fact you have no answer.

typical.
    Serene

P.S. You're assuming my beliefs again.
    Why not?? You think you know what people click on, and what they watch. Are you magic?
    Serene

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Why not?? You think you know what people click on, and what they watch. Are you magic?
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    I already have. ...
    Sure you have. I remember it well.

Odd how my faith doesn't need to do things your way.

But then, I believe that the Holy Spirit moves in His people. Too bad you only believe He moves in a particular denomination.

Well, I haven't been here for a long while now and it appears it's same 'ol, same 'ol.

Not sure if you realize it or not SB, but when you asked your original question, you included a double negative. Funny how that worked out.
    It's also rather funny that you asked specific people for their interpretation of something, then proceeded, as always to argue it and tell them that the way that they interpreted it is wrong. It's amazing how you always seem to open the can of worms but can't seem to simply accept the responses that you receive. You really did target these individuals right from the get-go. I can't help but wonder what your real intention behind this entire thread was. Oh wait, same 'ol, same 'ol. I forgot. Painting targets on the same group of people as always and then taking aim. Wow. I shouldn't really be surprised at this.

And, in the infamous words of SB ...
    You're hilarious, thanks for today's chuckle!!
    So, I'm off for now, you have a nice day.
    "The challenge of the path of joy is to create freedom. True joy comes from operating with Inner-Directedness and recognizing who you are." - Sanaya Roman

That's what you get when you try to engage him for any length of time.
    Serene

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticBlue View Post
    Well, I haven't been here for a long while now and it appears it's same 'ol, same 'ol.
    yeah, it really flies around when RW returns...again.

Not sure if you realize it or not SB, but when you asked your original question, you included a double negative. Funny how that worked out.
    You're quite right, sorry about that, I didn't notice. But I really don't think the responses would be any differnet, because....

It's also rather funny that you asked specific people for their interpretation of something, then proceeded, as always to argue it and tell them that the way that they interpreted it is wrong.
    Why don't you show me what you see, because,near as I can tell, no one actually posted anything they didn't like

It's amazing how you always seem to open the can of worms but can't seem to simply accept the responses that you receive. You really did target these individuals right from the get-go. I can't help but wonder what your real intention behind this entire thread was. Oh wait, same 'ol, same 'ol. I forgot. Painting targets on the same group of people as always and then taking aim. Wow. I shouldn't really be surprised at this.
    Of course not, since the last thing YOU would want is to discuss a particular verse you don't like the interpretation of, just like everyone else.

Have a nice day!!!

yeah, it really flies around when RW returns...again.

A Mod, off topic again.
    Serene

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information