Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: acoustic guitar

Default acoustic guitar

My step daughter wants to learn how to play acsoustic guitar and she is taking it as a class as well for next year. (She is in the arts program at WhitePines). So I was wondering where we can look and buy one for her?? Something that will not break the bank as well. Thank you!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,It's learning to dance in the rain.

Default Re: acoustic guitar

Your best option is to find a decent used guitar. If you are not knowledgeable about guitars, I strongly recommend you find someone who is, to help you locate one. 3 - 400 dollars might get you something half decent - the same amount spent on a new one will get you junk. ( my opinion ).

Definitely find someone to go with you, but I do think it's possible to get a decent guitar for 3 to 4 hundred.

Look at it this way, too. Buy good, never have problems playing, a lifetime investment, AND some money back if it doesn't work out.

Buy cheap, hard to play, needs replacing if you keep at it, and if you don't, it's garbage.
    "Christianity is like a nail, the harder you hit it, the deeper it goes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post

Look at it this way, too. Buy good, never have problems playing, a lifetime investment, AND some money back if it doesn't work out.

Buy cheap, hard to play, needs replacing if you keep at it, and if you don't, it's garbage.

I've lost track of how many times I told people the same thing - They ask me for advice and end up doing totally opposite - they buy cheap junk and then wonder why their child loses interest.

I still don't think you can buy a decent new ACOUSTIC guitar for 300 - 400 dollars. Solid body electric, yes, but not acoustic.
    Last edited by ByrdDawg; 03-27-2012 at 09:11 PM.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

I usually advise people just starting out to buy a nice classical. Something like a Yamaha - they're usually pretty decent quality, but not terribly expensive. The reason for the classical is that the neck is wider, so the strings are further apart and the top three strings are nylon, making them softer and overall easier to play. The most important point of quality for a beginner is that the guitar tunes properly and stays in tune for a reasonable amount of time after it's been tuned.

And yes, you can get a decent acoustic guitar for $3-400.

Looks like I'm outnumbered here. So, who makes a decent acoustic guitar with nice action, good intonation and solid tuners for 400 bucks brand new ?

Yamaha, Epiphone, Jasmine, Fender.

Quote Originally Posted by NewCasa View Post
    Yamaha, Epiphone, Jasmine, Fender.
    You need to be careful with sosme of their cheaper lines.

How about a Seagull, or Norman.

Oh yeah, Newcasa, I DON'T recommend a classical. That's what I had as a kid, and it is NOT a very versatile intrument. Steel string six is the way to go, the most versatile instrument there is, after the piano.
    "Christianity is like a nail, the harder you hit it, the deeper it goes!!"

$400 for a good solid-body electric?

I'd have to disagree there.

Minimum is about $600 - $700 brand-new as a base. PRS SE or equivalent (buy a lower end epiphone if you like shoddy builds - just like Gibson and that horrid design they have with the truss rod issue/volute [you know, where they seem to always break). Even then, when you buy that $600 guitar you still have to replace the bridge, pickups and throw in a bone nut. Then you've got $900 - $1000 into a guitar that is pretty solid that would outlast the formative years if they get into the instrument more.

As for Yamaha, I say it every time ...

I refuse to play an instrument from a manufacturer that makes everything from Blenders to Xylophones. I have a rule I live by and it's this:
    "If you are a jack-of-all trades then you are a master of NOTHING."

My thoughts?

Go out and get a lower end Taylor Acoustic from Thomas Walls (if they still have them). You can spend about $500 - $600 for a brand new one and have a solid acoustic guitar with a mahogany back & neck with a nice maple or spruce top. Martin has an entry level guitar for about $700 but it's made with wood particles, I laughed when someone tried to sell me one ... I compared that at the time to a Taylor 110 which was about $150 cheaper and it was much fuller sounding, better clarity etc. Not even close.

Otherwise, check out some used Taylors.

Again, the recommendation ...

Taylor Acoustics

I had a Taylor 110 for sale for $350 last year, I ended up keeping it for the times out at the camp. I don't really play acoustic and just wanted a little something for those odd times I wanted one. I'd much rather be playing one of my electrics though.

Norman is actually a good recommendation in my opinion as well, good product for a good price.
    Brain surgery? Pff, give me a manual.

I have to say, I have a Taylor - mine's a mid range (about $2k) and it's the nicest sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned. But the thing is we're talking about a beginner, not a seasoned player. We're talking about someone who may get into guitar for a few months and then decide that practicing every day and carrying it around like it's your best buddy is just not something they want to stick with, you know? So my point is, buy something that'll stay in tune and sounds reasonable. We're not talking about what the BEST guitar is overall, we're talking about what the best guitar is for a beginner.

And SB - why a classical? Wider neck = fewer chording errors and more finger stretch (good for a beginner), but the most important thing is the nylon strings - if the person actually does fall in love with guitar playing they won't stick with the classical long, but for the first while (while their finger tips get calloused) they will be able to plan for a good long time without noticing blood on the keyboard.

My first guitar was a Framus. Truss rod issue? Yup. Great for a beginner, though. Cheap and worked fine thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information