Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CBC Under Fire

Default Re: CBC Under Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    Some of the CBC shows perform better than American ones in the ratings.... You got to love that American crap though, there was one sitcom that lasted all but two shows this season, "Working It!" haha quality... CBC on the other hand has had several hits this season... For those who don't watch CBC, give it a try - you might learn something.
    Please, you're making yourself look foolish. It's not even an issue that very, very few people outside Canada feel the CBC creates any worthwhile television (outside of a few documentaries and their sports coverage); even most Canadians do not watch the crap they produce, and instead flock to American T.V.
    Serene

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Please, you're making yourself look foolish. It's not even an issue that very, very few people outside Canada feel the CBC creates any worthwhile television (outside of a few documentaries and their sports coverage); even most Canadians do not watch the crap they produce, and instead flock to American T.V.
    sorry but the latest poll shows 60 per cent of Canadians like the CBC and what they do - you're assuming that you don't like it so the vast majority don't - guess you're wrong again. In fact most of those polled want the funding to stay where it was or increase it. As for American content, yeah its more popular - is it any good though? mostly not. Many people assume , like yourself that there's nothing on CBC but they don't bother to check it out - they assume that and call it a fact like you do. Educate yourself a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    Yup, probably, oh, two hours a week!!!

You didn't think Anne of Green Gables was good??
    I thought I was replying to RWGR , but yes Anne of Green Gables was actually a very good show and imported around the world including the US.

sorry but the latest poll shows 60 per cent of Canadians like the CBC and what they do - you're assuming that you don't like it so the vast majority don't - guess you're wrong again. In fact most of those polled want the funding to stay where it was or increase it. As for American content, yeah its more popular - is it any good though? mostly not. Many people assume , like yourself that there's nothing on CBC but they don't bother to check it out - they assume that and call it a fact like you do. Educate yourself a little.
    I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve.

I've been around CBC since I was old enough to watch television. It was, is, and always will be a vastly inferior product to American T.V. overall. Again I will say: certain documentaries are very good, and the sports coverage ranges from good to excellent. But when CBC tries to do comedy, or dramas, 9 out of 10 times the product is so bad as to be laughable. The writing is sub-par and the acting is usually poor to mediocre.

I watched part of your version of the Academy Awards last month (don't even know the name of the award, like 99.9% of all humans). I swear, I thought the first twenty minutes was a comedy. I thought it was like the old SCTV crew making fun of some Canadian awards show.

But it was real. And the movies up for nomination looked terrible, just from the clips shown. Poor acting, poor scriptwriting, poor production. It's a problem that will always be with not only the CBC, but the Canadian entertainment industry overall, because...and let's take off your Maple Leaf glasses for a second, Craig...the best and the brightest flock to the USA. As a result, you are stuck with people that would be considered third-and fourth-rate talent in the industry. The CBC is simply a microcosm of the overall fact that when it comes to the entertainment industry, Canada should leave it to others.
    Serene

I thought I was replying to RWGR , but yes Anne of Green Gables was actually a very good show and imported around the world including the US.
    Anecdotal evidence. One show out of the tens of thousands that air around the world.

You do realize you just made my point, right?
    Serene

I agree with most people here. Sports and documentaries, I love CBC. Aside from that, I never ever watch it. Nothing interests me, and the shows just look to have a cheap quality to them.

Anecdotal evidence. One show out of the tens of thousands that air around the world.

That's just one show, there have been hundreds of shows sold around the world from the CBC.... not to mention that Americans are coming to Canada to shoot some of their series because of "better crews" and incentives. Do a little research on a topic before you blab about things, I guess is the lesson learned here.

I've been around CBC since I was old enough to watch television. It was, is, and always will be a vastly inferior product to American T.V. overall. Again I will say: certain documentaries are very good, and the sports coverage ranges from good to excellent. But when CBC tries to do comedy, or dramas, 9 out of 10 times the product is so bad as to be laughable. The writing is sub-par and the acting is usually poor to mediocre.

I watched part of your version of the Academy Awards last month (don't even know the name of the award, like 99.9% of all humans). I swear, I thought the first twenty minutes was a comedy. I thought it was like the old SCTV crew making fun of some Canadian awards show.

But it was real. And the movies up for nomination looked terrible, just from the clips shown. Poor acting, poor scriptwriting, poor production. It's a problem that will always be with not only the CBC, but the Canadian entertainment industry overall, because...and let's take off your Maple Leaf glasses for a second, Craig...the best and the brightest flock to the USA. As a result, you are stuck with people that would be considered third-and fourth-rate talent in the industry. The CBC is simply a microcosm of the overall fact that when it comes to the entertainment industry, Canada should leave it to others.
    That's your perception of reality, but the CBC is known around the world for high quality news, docs and sports coverage, the US is known for entertainment - always has been - but if you look closely at the hollywood scene, you will know it was run by Canadians mostly when it started and even today the US entertainment scene has the best talent coming from Canadians - so there, I probably just struck a nerve with you no doubt. I should also note that 90% of all shows produced in America get cancelled within their first year because they are God awful.

After you, once again, freakin' forever, say "I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve", your point becomes totally worthless.

Again.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

how about JERSEY SHORE....OR HOUSE WIVES OF WHATEVER.....some fascinating intellectual shows there.....
    American TV.

How many CSI type programs now??

And now more "Storage Wars" type programs. Man, with American materialism, those could last for YEARS!!!
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

CBC announces returning primetime shows and new series

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ew-series?bn=1

The list includes Rick Mercer Report, George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight, the fifth estate and Republic of Doyle

What?? No Jerry Springer??? Oh yeah... that's quality American programming, not Canadian... sorry everyone.
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

That's just one show, there have been hundreds of shows sold around the world from the CBC.... not to mention that Americans are coming to Canada to shoot some of their series because of "better crews" and incentives. Do a little research on a topic before you blab about things, I guess is the lesson learned here.
    The reason they come here is cost. It is CHEAPER to film in Canada. And, while you're here, hire out to local talent, cause you can also pay them less.

As for the station itself, I think there are maybe two or three shows I actually have watched on it. Dragon's Den is kinda interesting, as well as documentaries. And, of course, HNIC is a staple. But, aside from that, the station is awful.

And, to whomever said Corner Gas and Degrassi.. they aren't CBC programs.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by lynys View Post
    ....And, to whomever said Corner Gas and Degrassi.. they aren't CBC programs.
    They're Canadian programs, and since the OP only wants to argue and condemn, it doesn't matter that they're CTV.

They're Canadian programs, and since the OP only wants to argue and condemn, it doesn't matter that they're CTV.
    Uh, yes it does. The title is CBC.. not all Canadian programming.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Right.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

What's the deal Soundy?

You blow it off like you are never wrong...give it a rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Butler View Post
    What's the deal Soundy?

You blow it off like you are never wrong...give it a rest!
    We were discussing the OP's real reasons for posting. I ain't wrong, IMO.

Banned
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi

You're just a guessing fool!

Like I said...give it a rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Butler View Post
    You're just a guessing fool!

Like I said...give it a rest!
    Don't make me laugh, Jack.

Go over and check the "tolerance" thread.

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Isn't this the point of every post you make?

It just gets so...tired. You are guilty of the very worst sin. You're boring.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information