Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: CBC Under Fire

  1. #21
    Senior Member RWGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    24,797

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    Some of the CBC shows perform better than American ones in the ratings.... You got to love that American crap though, there was one sitcom that lasted all but two shows this season, "Working It!" haha quality... CBC on the other hand has had several hits this season... For those who don't watch CBC, give it a try - you might learn something.
    Please, you're making yourself look foolish. It's not even an issue that very, very few people outside Canada feel the CBC creates any worthwhile television (outside of a few documentaries and their sports coverage); even most Canadians do not watch the crap they produce, and instead flock to American T.V.
    Serene

  2. #22
    Senior Member Craig Huckerby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Please, you're making yourself look foolish. It's not even an issue that very, very few people outside Canada feel the CBC creates any worthwhile television (outside of a few documentaries and their sports coverage); even most Canadians do not watch the crap they produce, and instead flock to American T.V.
    sorry but the latest poll shows 60 per cent of Canadians like the CBC and what they do - you're assuming that you don't like it so the vast majority don't - guess you're wrong again. In fact most of those polled want the funding to stay where it was or increase it. As for American content, yeah its more popular - is it any good though? mostly not. Many people assume , like yourself that there's nothing on CBC but they don't bother to check it out - they assume that and call it a fact like you do. Educate yourself a little.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Craig Huckerby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    Yup, probably, oh, two hours a week!!!

    You didn't think Anne of Green Gables was good??
    I thought I was replying to RWGR , but yes Anne of Green Gables was actually a very good show and imported around the world including the US.

  4. #24
    Senior Member RWGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    24,797

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    sorry but the latest poll shows 60 per cent of Canadians like the CBC and what they do - you're assuming that you don't like it so the vast majority don't - guess you're wrong again. In fact most of those polled want the funding to stay where it was or increase it. As for American content, yeah its more popular - is it any good though? mostly not. Many people assume , like yourself that there's nothing on CBC but they don't bother to check it out - they assume that and call it a fact like you do. Educate yourself a little.
    I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve.

    I've been around CBC since I was old enough to watch television. It was, is, and always will be a vastly inferior product to American T.V. overall. Again I will say: certain documentaries are very good, and the sports coverage ranges from good to excellent. But when CBC tries to do comedy, or dramas, 9 out of 10 times the product is so bad as to be laughable. The writing is sub-par and the acting is usually poor to mediocre.

    I watched part of your version of the Academy Awards last month (don't even know the name of the award, like 99.9% of all humans). I swear, I thought the first twenty minutes was a comedy. I thought it was like the old SCTV crew making fun of some Canadian awards show.

    But it was real. And the movies up for nomination looked terrible, just from the clips shown. Poor acting, poor scriptwriting, poor production. It's a problem that will always be with not only the CBC, but the Canadian entertainment industry overall, because...and let's take off your Maple Leaf glasses for a second, Craig...the best and the brightest flock to the USA. As a result, you are stuck with people that would be considered third-and fourth-rate talent in the industry. The CBC is simply a microcosm of the overall fact that when it comes to the entertainment industry, Canada should leave it to others.
    Serene

  5. #25
    Senior Member RWGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    24,797

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    I thought I was replying to RWGR , but yes Anne of Green Gables was actually a very good show and imported around the world including the US.
    Anecdotal evidence. One show out of the tens of thousands that air around the world.

    You do realize you just made my point, right?
    Serene

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SSM
    Posts
    556

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    I agree with most people here. Sports and documentaries, I love CBC. Aside from that, I never ever watch it. Nothing interests me, and the shows just look to have a cheap quality to them.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Craig Huckerby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Anecdotal evidence. One show out of the tens of thousands that air around the world.

    You do realize you just made my point, right?
    That's just one show, there have been hundreds of shows sold around the world from the CBC.... not to mention that Americans are coming to Canada to shoot some of their series because of "better crews" and incentives. Do a little research on a topic before you blab about things, I guess is the lesson learned here.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Craig Huckerby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve.

    I've been around CBC since I was old enough to watch television. It was, is, and always will be a vastly inferior product to American T.V. overall. Again I will say: certain documentaries are very good, and the sports coverage ranges from good to excellent. But when CBC tries to do comedy, or dramas, 9 out of 10 times the product is so bad as to be laughable. The writing is sub-par and the acting is usually poor to mediocre.

    I watched part of your version of the Academy Awards last month (don't even know the name of the award, like 99.9% of all humans). I swear, I thought the first twenty minutes was a comedy. I thought it was like the old SCTV crew making fun of some Canadian awards show.

    But it was real. And the movies up for nomination looked terrible, just from the clips shown. Poor acting, poor scriptwriting, poor production. It's a problem that will always be with not only the CBC, but the Canadian entertainment industry overall, because...and let's take off your Maple Leaf glasses for a second, Craig...the best and the brightest flock to the USA. As a result, you are stuck with people that would be considered third-and fourth-rate talent in the industry. The CBC is simply a microcosm of the overall fact that when it comes to the entertainment industry, Canada should leave it to others.
    That's your perception of reality, but the CBC is known around the world for high quality news, docs and sports coverage, the US is known for entertainment - always has been - but if you look closely at the hollywood scene, you will know it was run by Canadians mostly when it started and even today the US entertainment scene has the best talent coming from Canadians - so there, I probably just struck a nerve with you no doubt. I should also note that 90% of all shows produced in America get cancelled within their first year because they are God awful.

  9. #29
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    34,036

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Anecdotal evidence. One show out of the tens of thousands that air around the world.

    You do realize you just made my point, right?
    After you, once again, freakin' forever, say "I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve", your point becomes totally worthless.

    Again.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

  10. #30
    Senior Member bohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SAULT STE MARIE, ONTARIO CANADA
    Posts
    1,147

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    how about JERSEY SHORE....OR HOUSE WIVES OF WHATEVER.....some fascinating intellectual shows there.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    American TV.

    How many CSI type programs now??

    And now more "Storage Wars" type programs. Man, with American materialism, those could last for YEARS!!!
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

  11. #31
    Senior Member Roll The Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    YYZ
    Posts
    388

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    CBC announces returning primetime shows and new series

    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...ew-series?bn=1

    The list includes Rick Mercer Report, George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight, the fifth estate and Republic of Doyle

    What?? No Jerry Springer??? Oh yeah... that's quality American programming, not Canadian... sorry everyone.
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

  12. #32
    Senior Member lynys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,516

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Huckerby View Post
    That's just one show, there have been hundreds of shows sold around the world from the CBC.... not to mention that Americans are coming to Canada to shoot some of their series because of "better crews" and incentives. Do a little research on a topic before you blab about things, I guess is the lesson learned here.
    The reason they come here is cost. It is CHEAPER to film in Canada. And, while you're here, hire out to local talent, cause you can also pay them less.

    As for the station itself, I think there are maybe two or three shows I actually have watched on it. Dragon's Den is kinda interesting, as well as documentaries. And, of course, HNIC is a staple. But, aside from that, the station is awful.

    And, to whomever said Corner Gas and Degrassi.. they aren't CBC programs.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

    "I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

    "I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

    "If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

  13. #33
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    34,036

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by lynys View Post
    ....And, to whomever said Corner Gas and Degrassi.. they aren't CBC programs.
    They're Canadian programs, and since the OP only wants to argue and condemn, it doesn't matter that they're CTV.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

  14. #34
    Senior Member lynys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,516

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    They're Canadian programs, and since the OP only wants to argue and condemn, it doesn't matter that they're CTV.
    Uh, yes it does. The title is CBC.. not all Canadian programming.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

    "I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

    "I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

    "If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

  15. #35
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    34,036

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Right.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi
    Posts
    7,035

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    What's the deal Soundy?

    You blow it off like you are never wrong...give it a rest!

  17. #37
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    34,036

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Butler View Post
    What's the deal Soundy?

    You blow it off like you are never wrong...give it a rest!
    We were discussing the OP's real reasons for posting. I ain't wrong, IMO.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Intersection of Hwy. 49 & 61 Clarksdale, Mississippi
    Posts
    7,035

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    You're just a guessing fool!

    Like I said...give it a rest!

  19. #39
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    34,036

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Butler View Post
    You're just a guessing fool!

    Like I said...give it a rest!
    Don't make me laugh, Jack.

    Go over and check the "tolerance" thread.
    Work, work, work, work!!!

  20. #40
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: CBC Under Fire

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    I hate to see you get so angry. Seems I struck a nerve.
    Isn't this the point of every post you make?

    It just gets so...tired. You are guilty of the very worst sin. You're boring.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts