Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pet grooming

Default pet grooming

I think I posted this before but cannot remember. Im looking for reasonably priced pet groomers that can have short notice, preferably a home environment, east end. Ive had 2 groomers and both I wasnt thrilled with. Do not want to pay more than 55$ per dog, since we have two Portuguese watedogs. Who weigh about 40 pounds each.

Default Re: pet grooming

i like joy in the west end, i like linda central and i like elaine (in back nof foremost) in the east end.

I drive from the east end to take my dog to Joy on Korah road.

Unfortunately, I am not taking any new larger dog clients right now, and I cannot do short notice. I am booking 2 weeks away right now. Thanks for the recommendation guys!!!
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

I've been thinking of getting my Golden shaved for the summer - never done it before - but she's almost 10 and I don't want her panting the summer away, any recommendations on who can do this? or should I even do it?

A Golden's coat is made to insulate them in winter and summer to protect them from the heat and cold. I personnaly would not recommend shaving a Golden or any double coated breed, unless it is for health reasons. All you have to do is keep your dog brushed out really well. Your dog will pant whether or not it is shaved. If you feel she is over heating, put Ice cubes in her water and even soak her down in cool water. Give her a wading pool to walk in if she likes that sort of thing. Shaving down these types of dogs will only increase their risks of heat stroke/exaustion.
    Last edited by Joy.D; 05-14-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Very good advice Joy. I don't think a lot of people know that.

Another thing I forgot to mention.... When you shave down the breeds like goldens, collies, pomeranians etc... Their coat may not grow back properly. It may grow back wooly and ugly or patchy or even a different color.

As a groomer I have an inner conflict concerning this. On one hand I know what the shaving will do, on the other hand I need the money to survive. I try my best to educate the pet owner, but in the end it is their dog. I have refused to shave down some dogs. And did my best to help some dogs get their proper coats back.

Craig - I think I told you about furminating. It takes out all the undercoat which would help with the heat problem. Joy is right - it's never a good idea to shave some breeds, unless it's for reasons like medical or old age (cleanliness, etc.)

BTW Joy - I sent my cousin to you with her 3 shih tzus. She loved the work you did!!

I bring my dog to Blue Ribbon Grooming on Bruce Street. She loves going there.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information