Vianet.ca
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No Business Bashing, .... 'Bout Time!

Default No Business Bashing, .... 'Bout Time!

It might result in a good chunk of the threads disappearing on Soonet, but a ban on business bashing is about time.

A single instance of having an unsatisfactory experience at a place of business is no reason (in itself) to come on here and bash it. There are two sides to every story, and we are only hearing one side. If a business is serving it's customers poorly, the grapevine (outside of Soonet) will soon take care of the problem.

I don't think people start up a business to tick people off. The best way to handle the problem is to confront the owner personally, and find some resolution. Taking it online to a BBS is the coward's way out.
    Last edited by Bill Nash; 05-29-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: needed an apostrophe
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Default Re: No Business Bashing, .... 'Bout Time!

This is nothing new, I remember 5-6 years ago business bashing had become quite popular and after some complaints the joyous pastime became banned.

do you really think that the 20 to 30 people who frequent this message board on a regular basis is going to change ANY reputation of ANY business? I can't see it happening....even if I am wrong on my numbers and it's 100 people on here regularly...lol!!!

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

As much as I agree that there is a fine line between sharing a bad experience and business bashing businesses must be prepared to take the good comments with the bad, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handyman View Post
    It might result in a good chunk of the threads disappearing on Soonet, but a ban on business bashing is about time.

A single instance of having an unsatisfactory experience at a place of business is no reason (in itself) to come on here and bash it. There are two sides to every story, and we are only hearing one side. If a business is serving it's customers poorly, the grapevine (outside of Soonet) will soon take care of the problem.

I don't think people start up a business to tick people off. The best way to handle the problem is to confront the owner personally, and find some resolution. Taking it online to a BBS is the coward's way out.
    I have to agree with this 100% . Good post Handyman.

just a thought... and i know this thread is about "business" bashing...

but what about "individual" bashing... for instance, there are two threads currently in the soapbox, and there have been numerous others previously, which identify certain "criminals" that have or may have done wrong towards people who frequent this message board... whether or not these "criminals" have been found guilty or not, or they just generally are not nice people, is not the point... i'm not trying to say they have more rights than the victims... what i'm saying is that, if i were a defense attorney and saw my client's identity and supposed wrongdoings posted on this board, i would be contacting the administrators and throwing around the words "libel" and "slander"...

being more specific, when you see the circumstances allegedly committed by a 13 year old person on this board being kicked around by the parent of the alleged victims, and that parent starts to edit the posts regarding the details of those alleged circumstances, you have to think "what's this parent on?"... these crimes are not to be proven among the masses but in the courts... and despite the leniency shown by the courts to our young offenders, its the process we have agreed to follow... again, if i was this kid's defense lawyer, and read the details as described on this board by the parent of the victims, i'd be laying some charges against said parent ...

just some food for thought...
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

There are quite a few restaurant/business reviews websites. Some of the things said on there are worse than anything said here. I think that when you have a business you leave yourself open to opinions good or bad.

Also complaining on here about businesses is far different than slander (or rather libel as slander is spoken defamation). For it to be defamation, the content being published to this site has to be untrue. If it's a personal experience, unless exaggerated, one can consider it to be a true accounting of events. Opinions and experiences are what make a business good or bad. Now if I were to go and say that a specific retailer ripped me off, then that would be defamation. Whereas had I said that I don't shop at that retailer because I think they're prices are outrageous, that's an opinion. Both business bashing, but only one is defamation.

This new rule in my 'opinion' is silly. We should have the chance to share our experiences good and bad on this board. Also for the most part, people leave out the name of the business when discussing negative experiences.

I have come to realize that some of the people who use the site are business owners, they come on here and start threads just to make their competition look bad. They start the thread saying that they had a bad experience at the one place and then ended up going to the other place (their own place) and it was great. I think that's pretty low and in my opinion very wrong because other businesses (most) work very hard to stay afloat. If your a business owner and resort to this you are in no way a professional you should be in politics!

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

So it is not ok to complain about a local business but it is ok for someone from a foreign country to come on here and make a career out of bashing and harassing Canada? While I do not agree with business bashing I think it is hypocritical to be so harsh on business bashers and yet allow a person to bash our country at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    I have come to realize that some of the people who use the site are business owners, they come on here and start threads just to make their competition look bad. They start the thread saying that they had a bad experience at the one place and then ended up going to the other place (their own place) and it was great. I think that's pretty low and in my opinion very wrong because other businesses (most) work very hard to stay afloat. If your a business owner and resort to this you are in no way a professional you should be in politics!
    What's to stop them from doing that in the general public? Nothing. While I agree with your statement, I still don't think this rule should be in place.

Quote Originally Posted by NewCasa View Post
    So it is not ok to complain about a local business but it is ok for someone from a foreign country to come on here and make a career out of bashing and harassing Canada? While I do not agree with business bashing I think it is hypocritical to be so harsh on business bashers and yet allow a person to bash our country at will.
    I completely agree.

There is a big difference in between business bashing and sharing experiences. Just like when you have a bad experience, you tell your friends about it. It's still up to them to decide to go there or not.

It's not about right and wrong or consistency or integrity.
    It's the money!
    Bashing Canada doesn't cost anyone...
    All a business owner has to do is call Soonet and claim that they are getting a lawyer. I was a mod, and was on the receiving end one one such incident. And it wasn't even a business related event. One of the reasons I quit modding.
    As long as the BBS is free and generates no income for its owners, Vianet surely is not going to risk this kind of controversy. There is no cost/benefit for them in it at all.
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

To quote Queen, "Another one bites the dust"!

There are no evil people here,

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    It's not about right and wrong or consistency or integrity.
    It's the money!
    Bashing Canada doesn't cost anyone...
    All a business owner has to do is call Soonet and claim that they are getting a lawyer. I was a mod, and was on the receiving end one one such incident. And it wasn't even a business related event. One of the reasons I quit modding.
    As long as the BBS is free and generates no income for its owners, Vianet surely is not going to risk this kind of controversy. There is no cost/benefit for them in it at all.
    When an American continually harrasses and bashes Canada I call that contreversial. I will eventually get a legal opinion if it continues unchecked. Americans using Canadian media to bash Canada and the media company doing nothing about it. Must be something in that.

When an American continually harrasses and bashes Canada I call that contreversial. I will eventually get a legal opinion if it continues unchecked. Americans using Canadian media to bash Canada and the media company doing nothing about it. Must be something in that.
    It would seem the powers that be care not one wit what is said defaming our country. It leaves a doubt in my mind why I gave 5 years to the military so a foreigner cab run down what enlisted to stand up for. Or, conversely, I hold something in esteem they are not all that concerned over. I don't bother here much any longer due to his shenanigans.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Maybe you can write the Prime Minister of Canada and file an official complaint?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    It would seem the powers that be care not one wit what is said defaming our country. It leaves a doubt in my mind why I gave 5 years to the military so a foreigner cab run down what enlisted to stand up for. Or, conversely, I hold something in esteem they are not all that concerned over. I don't bother here much any longer due to his shenanigans.

Maybe your definition of "defaming" is a bit to wide in nature?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Maybe you can write the Prime Minister of Canada and file an official complaint?
    Nice. Sarcasm. Well I suppose I should just consider the source.

Hans, I have no objection to a serious discussion regarding a flaw in the Canadian political system and I will be the last one to say it is perfect. The problem comes in where some idiot from another country decides to continually spam the board with derogatory items about Canada. The does not in any way invite constuctive discussion. It is simply trolling and as such is highly offensive. You have attacked me several times now for my complaints. To my mind these attacks display only your own ignorance, both of what it takes to be an adequate mod and pride in your chosen country. Shame on you.

Do not feed the trolls" and "DNFTT" redirect here. For the Wikipedia essay, see Wikipediaeny recognition.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
    While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Closed Thread

Thread Information