Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ick ick ick, help?!

Default Ick ick ick, help?!

So I watered my houseplants today and noticed LOTS of nasty worm/caterpillar/millipede looking things in my soil!!! They curl up when touched and are mostly fairly small. NEVER had them before, but I threw all 3 of my plants outside (they are NOT staying in here!). What the hell are they and how can I get rid of them! I will just trash them if I must but I have grown fond of them and would like to keep them if possible. I only noticed it in the one but I am not taking chances on the other 2!!! Blech!!!!!!!!!
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

Default Re: Ick ick ick, help?!

Maybe take the plants out and re plant them in new soil? I have had plants for years and have never had that issue. Don't think I have ever heard if that before either. Weird... I would of tossed them too...lol

got pictures?
    It would be easier to identfy the critters with pictures.

This page may help

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ure/m1183.html

Sounds like millepedes. They are decomposers and feed on dead organic matter. Try diatomaceous earth. It is eco-friendly.

i would probably re-plant them and then put a bit of the De earth on them.
    "Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really wanna get tough, grow a v****a... Those things take a pounding." -- Betty White..

Homemade Insecticidal Soap: 1 cup veggie oil, 1 Tblsp dish soap (mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of this mixture to 1 cup of water)
    This may burn leaves if too strong so experiment. Helps kill aphids and other nasty plant bugs.

They could be a cutworm. You can also use saline solution or if your plants are dry, you can sprinkle them with flour to rid them of bugs. (according to the 77 yr old crazy garden lady I met this past weekend) But you should've seen her incredible garden!
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Ya I am pretty sure they are milipedes as well, but now I have found ones in there that look like skinny earth worms I am going to leave my poor babies outside and try a few different things. Do you think the soap above will help if its the whole pot that is infested?
    My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

You could cut a clipping from the plants and start them over. Not the nicest solution, but if you leave them outside, they'll get more than just those worms in them.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information