Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmet or no helmet?

Default Helmet or no helmet?

Look Ma, no helmets - Sault-area rider revved up Michigan motorcycle helmet laws, another not so pumped

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3592334

Count me in the "not so pumped" category...
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

Default Re: Helmet or no helmet?

Look ma - no head

This should speed up the wait for organ donation recipients tremendously!
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Sure.. BUT anyone riding without a helment should have to sign a waiver saying they can't claim any kind of welfare or disability due to a head injury from an accident.

Imagine a bee off the forehead at 80 miles an hour... OUUUUF!

Insurance companies like helmet laws because, where there are laws, there are less riders. Saves them money because there are less accideents where thier insurance clients hit riders.

Forbes magazine printed an article using careful research that showed that, mile per mile ridden, states with helmet laws do NOT have less deaths of riders.

Helmets are supposed to be helpful up to about 14 MPH. After that, there is evidence to show that the extra weight of the helmet causes MORE deaths from neck injuries.

I wear a full face helmet because family will be happier if the mortician doesn't have to do as much work.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Low speed limit roads, such as Tunnel Of Trees, maybe, on I 75, probably not. Regardless \m/

I said to my husband it would be like the old day before we had plates licences and insurance, It would feel like I was doing something wrong, LMAO.. like running so I did not get caught...

I dunno, I know being a motorbike driver, how many bees, and bugs I get in the head with a full face helmet on (motocross), Id hate like hell to feel the dings with out the helmet, it would feel like getting hit with rocks imo

We put 1000 miles on Harleys in Florida this winter - where there is no helmet laws. We wore helmets.. I can't imagine riding without one. I know I won't get on our ATV without one, or snowmachine, I can not imagine being with out one on our bike.

Just doesn't feel right to me, and frankly I'd rather not scramble my egg!
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Sheep!!

As an ex-motorcycle rider, and an avid ATV and snowmobile rider - I am all for helmets. Even if the law says I don't need one -- I'll insist on wearing my brain bucket. Head trauma isn't something you recover easily from if you're lucky enough to recover or survive. The long term effects of hitting your head on pavement when you dump your bike for any reason, is usually more than just "road rash". I see a lot of amateurs and un-educated riders out there that don't have any sense about them for wearing leathers, gloves, or sturdy shoes/boots when riding -- it is generally the younger riders, and the tweens that think they are stunt riders. T-shirts, shorts and sandals... lets get rid of the helmets now.

I hope they signed the organ donor portion of their license. It'll soon be harvest time for them.
    As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else.
    I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead; hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect.
    So I exist in this waste land; a man reduced to a single instinct......SURVIVE

"The long term effects of hitting your head on pavement when you dump your bike for any reason, is usually more than just "road rash"."

Indeed. Hit your head at road speed, and you will die, helmet or not.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Have at 'er folks! I am in need of a low mileage heart and a pair of slightly used lungs and at my age the youngsters get first shot even though I am way up the lists. Supply and demand.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbear View Post
    "The long term effects of hitting your head on pavement when you dump your bike for any reason, is usually more than just "road rash"."

Indeed. Hit your head at road speed, and you will die, helmet or not.
    A helmet is designed to protect your head from impact at road speed, and if you're using a SNELL rated helmet it is certified for higher than road speeds. That aside, if you sustain a head trauma while wearing your helmet you _could_ survive depending on how and where you hit your head. To say that all head injuries on a motorcycle result in death is just plain absurd and an over-inflated false fact. The issue is sustaining brain damage... and how bad.

At its heart, it will all boil down to differences in health care and disability differences between the US and Canada. Its not just about "rights and freedoms". Harping about freedom is going to be the smoke screen used to try to pass this in Canada all while diverting from the truth that someone else is paying for someone deciding "I'm too cool to wear a helmet. Let me sport this bandana and some shades, and that should be enough protection between my skull and the road at ANY speed."

Personally, this is my take: If you want to ride without a helmet in Canada, sign a declaration that you will waive your right to collect any disability assistance from the Fed and Prov. governments for any head/mental related injuries both immediate and long-term, if you are involved in a motorcycle accident while not wearing a helmet. You also waive the right to sue to collect compensation for any such injuries -- (why? because you _could_ have worn your helmet to protect your head, and you chose not to). If you want to exercise your rights and freedoms to not wear a helmet -- fine. If you chose not protect yourself from injury.... at your own expense... your health care should be at YOUR expense associated to any mental issues caused by the accident. It will not be covered by us the tax payers. My/our OHIP and taxes shouldn't cover your decision to not protect your head. It would then be up to your own personal insurance policy for the vehicle.. etc.. to determine what kind of coverage/assistance you should receive, if any... for opting to not wear a safety device... etc. (Motorcycle premiums will increase automatically for no-helmet riders.) If you want the same rights as Americans, you should pay the same price they do -- health care and higher insurance premiums. All other injuries aside, head trauma on a motorcycle with no helmet -- that should be the one where you're on your own... just like the dumb decision to not wear a helmet.. you're on your own.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-11-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else.
    I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead; hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect.
    So I exist in this waste land; a man reduced to a single instinct......SURVIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    A helmet is designed to protect your head from impact at road speed, and if you're using a SNELL rated helmet it is certified for higher than road speeds. That aside, if you sustain a head trauma while wearing your helmet you _could_ survive depending on how and where you hit your head. To say that all head injuries on a motorcycle result in death is just plain absurd and an over-inflated false fact. The issue is sustaining brain damage... and how bad.

At its heart, it will all boil down to differences in health care and disability differences between the US and Canada. Its not just about "rights and freedoms". Harping about freedom is going to be the smoke screen used to try to pass this in Canada all while diverting from the truth that someone else is paying for someone deciding "I'm too cool to wear a helmet. Let me sport this bandana and some shades, and that should be enough protection between my skull and the road at ANY speed."

Personally, this is my take: If you want to ride without a helmet in Canada, sign a declaration that you will waive your right to collect any disability assistance from the Fed and Prov. governments for any head/mental related injuries both immediate and long-term, if you are involved in a motorcycle accident while not wearing a helmet. You also waive the right to sue to collect compensation for any such injuries -- (why? because you _could_ have worn your helmet to protect your head, and you chose not to). If you want to exercise your rights and freedoms to not wear a helmet -- fine. If you chose not protect yourself from injury.... at your own expense... your health care should be at YOUR expense associated to any mental issues caused by the accident. It will not be covered by us the tax payers. My/our OHIP and taxes shouldn't cover your decision to not protect your head. It would then be up to your own personal insurance policy for the vehicle.. etc.. to determine what kind of coverage/assistance you should receive, if any... for opting to not wear a safety device... etc. (Motorcycle premiums will increase automatically for no-helmet riders.) If you want the same rights as Americans, you should pay the same price they do -- health care and higher insurance premiums. All other injuries aside, head trauma on a motorcycle with no helmet -- that should be the one where you're on your own... just like the dumb decision to not wear a helmet.. you're on your own.
    well said, and couldn't agree with you more!!!

i wonder if seat belts are eroding freedoms in the same way helmets supposed do?
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information