Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Not??

Default Why Not??

Anybody wanna discuss odd ball ideas??

The thought occurred to me that it's an awful waste to have a 100 horsepower plus engine sitting outside in your car doing nothing all night long.

Why couldn't it run on natural gas and heat and supply power to your house??
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Default Re: Why Not??

Popular Mechanics did an article on something like this many years ago.They used a V8 engine.I've often thought of this ever since seeing the article but not sure it would be economical.

I think Trane has tried twice over the years to create a natural gas powered generating and heating system for homes. An internal comustion engine runs a heat pum, has all it's waste heat taken and runs a generator for power. estimates I read were of a 50 percent savings to homeowners on power and heat.

My quess is a house needs a 5000W generator to run everything and the gas to run a unit like that would cost more then what PUC would charge to be on the grid. Plus a generator only has so many hours of operating time before it needs to be rebuilt or replaced,is louder and needs oil changes.

You may be right as to the costs. Trane estimated a 50 percent over all energy saving in their
    promotions years ago.

BTW, a big generator running on natural gas lasts as much as 10 times longer than a gasoline engine, because of the nature of the fuel. Don't need as many oil changes either.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information