Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your thoughts wanted.

Default Your thoughts wanted.

We have an older (12 years) toy sized dog and are considering getting an older toy sized puppy (7 months) of the same breed.

Our 12 year old is terribly spoiled and knows she's our number 1. We had to put her little companion and friend down a little over a year ago. She missed her friend, but adjusted well within a month's time. (it was harder on us I think)

I am really questioning getting another puppy that will definitely put her nose out of joint for a while. I worry about a puppy driving her crazy even though we would intervene any time it happens.

How long do they take to adjust being around a puppy, and do you think this is fair to an older dog? Any suggestions or thoughts gladly considered...

Default Re: Your thoughts wanted.

Maybe get a friendly cat. I have seen many photos of best buddy dogs and cats.

We owned a cat years ago. She was with us for 17 good years. She was a sweetie, but we decided that we just aren't "cat" people. (can't stand cat hair all over, or cleaning kitty litter) Thanks for the suggestion, but we'd rather have pooches.

we lost one of our dogs last year to cancer and our other one looked so lost that we went and got 2 pups for her to play with, it took a month for her to finally go lay beside them, she loves to play with them but they are so much faster but she lets them know when she wants them to go away lol we are happy we went and got another even though we swore we would not get another but she seems to like having them around

Thanks for sharing shy1. I know the acceptance process wouldn't be quick for the older dog. Our problem is, is that our older dog is only 5 lbs, and doesn't have many teeth in the front, so snapping at a puppy wouldn't be a very aggressive reaction to deter a pestering puppy lol.

our older one goes and hides downstairs in the recroom, for some reason the younger 2 still don't try to go down stairs yet lol

winston is 11. we lost teddy and honey close together and that left winston all alone for a year. i really felt that he needed a buddy. when we got peisha we thought that since she was at least a year old that she would be over that puppy stage. hahaha! she is the biggest goof ever. anyway, the first couple of weeks winston would just glare at me sending thought waves into my brain saying ' what the hell have you done'. i was worried about him and he wasnt thrilled with her. but after a month or so they adjusted and are buddies through and through now and even though there is a 9 year difference they play like crazy.

so, i guess im thinking that at first your older dog will not be impressed but i think that it will eventually work out. thats my thought anyway.

Some years ago we had mac a Cairn Terrier. He was 7 yrs old when we got a puppy of the same breed. The breeder told us to leave them alone and let them figure it out for themselves. After the pup bothered Mac a few times. He snapped at the pup and it yelped. 5 minutes later the pup was back again.....finally they used to play together, eat together.They were just fine.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure when we'll start seriously looking for a pup, but your answers helped me decide.

My follow up on this story: We ended up getting a 9 week old puppy and it took a few weeks but our older dog and the puppy are now getting along fine (most of the time, except when there is food or jealousy involved) All is well in our happy house

thanks for the update. im glad everyone is happy.

I have an older dog not sure how old but I got a small dog for the boyfriend for him on the long hauls on the hwy and now the small dog stays home it was the best thing I could have done not for the boyfriend but the old dog. She is a lot happier now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information