Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: External Hard drive prob

Default External Hard drive prob

Ok here is my problem. I think i had a hacker on my computer..He shut down my firewall, but i was able to get it working finally using a few programs i found on bleepingcomputers.com.Now my issue is hat i can't access my external hard drive files.I tried reinstalling the program, but not sure what i should do now.I don't want to make things worse.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you Seriously, know one has any advice to help me out?
    Last edited by SweetBiotch; 10-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Default Re: External Hard drive prob

does your drive show up in My Computer, or Computer?

No the drive does not show up

I would honestly suggest a complete reformatting of your pc. if you did get a virus. you could still be suffering from it and this could be a symptom.

Alternatively you could bring your external hard drive to a friend's house, try it there. if it doesn't show up, then your drive might be toast.

you can also download a partition manager like minitool partition wizard ( it's free), see if it recognises the physical drive itself.

depending on your findings, that will determine your course of action but there can be a few different reasons why an external drive doesn't show up when you plug it in.

You should not have to re-install a program to access an external hard drive. It should show up in windows explorer. I would see if it shows up in windows explorer.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

If the external drive doesn't show up in the Windows Explorer it is not being seen by the operating system. I have a Seagate Free Agent external drive here that has a similar problem. I sometimes have to unplug it and plug it back in a number of times before my laptop sees it. Unplug the USB plug, trying with both power on and off on your external drive.

Tom

Do you have any usb devices plugged in besides your external drive? Laptops use a shared usb bus, so if you have another device plugged in that draws power you may not have enough juice left to run your external drive.
    Quando omni flunkus moritati.

I have an adapter type thing that allows me to plug in 4 usb devices at once.I have never had a problem till now with the external hard drive not being recognized

tried plugging and unplugging the external hard drive and still no luck

Unplug all USB devices, plug it directly into a USB port, restart computer. It should show up.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Tried that and it didn't work Hans

Than you either have a problem with the external enclosure, or with the drive. Could also be a cable problem.
    Looks like you need to bring it to someone who can test that for you.

ok ty Hans

sent you a private message offering free help if you're interested
    Core i3-540 @3.06ghz, 8 gigs Mushkin Silverline ddr3-1333, 1TB WD Black, 2x1 TB WD Green, XFX Nvidia GT-240,
    ATI Theatrix 550 Pro, Asus VH242H 24" LCD, OCZ Fatal1ty 550w, Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit-sp1, Shaw Broadband100

Quote Originally Posted by Asparas View Post
    I would honestly suggest a complete reformatting of your pc. if you did get a virus. you could still be suffering from it and this could be a symptom.

Alternatively you could bring your external hard drive to a friend's house, try it there. if it doesn't show up, then your drive might be toast.

you can also download a partition manager like minitool partition wizard ( it's free), see if it recognises the physical drive itself.

depending on your findings, that will determine your course of action but there can be a few different reasons why an external drive doesn't show up when you plug it in.

My husband says this advice is exactly correct.
    MagicFingers

holy cow, atleast take a look in device manager before getting all silly.

Other devices has a yellow check mark and so does Ethernet.what could that mean in device manager?

Driver issues. That may or may not be related to your external drive. If you unplug your drive does the 'other device' disappear from device manager?

You should try right clicking on the one's with yellow and choosing update driver.

What version of windows? With the external drive connected right click on 'Computer' or 'My Computer' and select manage. Then go to disk management. Does the external drive show up and if so is there a drive letter assigned to it?

No it does not disappear when i unplug the external hard drive.Tried clicking on the update driver and it couldn't install a new driver.No the external does not show up when i go to disk management

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information