Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Messed up traffic lights

Default Messed up traffic lights

We have some messed up traffic lights in this city. Please add to the list.

1. Willow at Northern, at 10:30 pm, you have to sit at a red light on Willow for about 4 minutes. I get stuck there, trying to pick my kid up from work. One night I'm going to time it with a stop watch.

2. MacDonald at Pim. All day, Pim gets a long green, MacDonald gets squat. It takes forever to get a green, then it's gone in the blink of an eye. The city really needs to change that, since there's not nearly the traffic on Pim that there used to be, since the hospital moved.

3. Great Northern at Second Line. What's with the northbound, delayed green, that gives only 4 or 5 cars time to get through?

Next.

Default Re: Messed up traffic lights

While we are on the subject, You take your life into your own hands, when you try and cross at norther ave and great northern.The cars try and beat the lights when I am crossing and about 3 times have almost hit me

IMHO

mOST DAYS YOU WILL GET EVERY RED LIGHT AS YOU PROCEED NORTH ON GREAT nORTHEN FROM cANADIAN tIRE ALL THE WAY UP.

wITH SPARSE DRIVING CONDITIONS i HAVE TRAVELLED FROM tHIRD lINE ALL THE WAY TO qUEEN sTREET ON gREAT nORTHERN/pIM WITHOUT ENCOUNTERING A RED LIGHT. i THINK IT IS ALL THE AUTOMATIC SENSORS THAT SET THE LIGHTS OFF FOR CROSS TRAFFIC THAT MESSES UP THE TRAFFIC FLOW.

pERHAPS IF WE WERE BETTER DRIVERS WE WOULDN'T NEED TRAFFIC LIGHTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfpny...eature=related

2. MacDonald at Pim. All day, Pim gets a long green, MacDonald gets squat. It takes forever to get a green, then it's gone in the blink of an eye. The city really needs to change that, since there's not nearly the traffic on Pim that there used to be, since the hospital moved.
    I agree with you there,especially now when people use MacDonald as a reroute since Wellington is so messed out with queen street blocked.

I don,t know how those people who live on Wellington between Pim and Lake even get out of there driveways.

IMHO

The city should be ashamed of itself for not completing the block between PIM and CHURCH in a timely manner. This would have allowed traffic to flow up CHURCH street to the traffic lights at Wellington and taken pressure off of WELLINGTON EAST. It is unbelievable that one block could not be completed since last MAY.

The lights on Northern Ave. by Metro are terrible. You get half way across and the light changes. I can pick up speed and walk faster but the handicapped in wheelchairs or walkers are barely off the curb when the light turns yellow.

The lights in this entire town are terrible!! The city adds additional traffic lights every year, messes around with the settings on the existing traffic lights to the point where they should have just left it alone in the first place. Just in the last few months they changed the traffic light flow when you are proceeding south on Great Northern Rd from the hospital area to downtown in the morning. You used to be able to get all the lights green after Northern Avenue all the way to Macdonald or Wellington - which made sense because the heavy flow of traffic in the morning is mostly going IN to town. Now I get a red light at Home Depot most times, always red at Second Line, always red at Northern Ave, red at Wawanosh, red at Cambrian Mall, and finally green at McNabb and Bruce but then red at Macdonald again usually. It makes absolutely no sense that they changed these lights.
    Another annoying one that i'm sure most people have experienced is the new light at Pine and Northern ave. The other night at 10 at night I sat and waited for 4 minutes almost for the light to change green - there was no traffic in either direction yet I had to sit there. Why can't set some of the traffic lights after a certain time of night to flash as either 4 ways stops or caution and 2 ways stops? I'm not saying to do this for every traffic light but they do it in Soo Michigan and it works great!
    I would love to meet the person in this city that is responsible for traffic planning - I honestly envision Homer Simpson sitting in a control room somewhere.

"The city should be ashamed of itself for not completing the block between PIM and CHURCH in a timely manner. This would have allowed traffic to flow up CHURCH street to the traffic lights at Wellington and taken pressure off of WELLINGTON EAST. It is unbelievable that one block could not be completed since last MAY."

I agree! It's been paved now for about 3 weeks - what's the hold up?

The lights should flash yellow and red after 11pm,after my time in southern ontario this past week,we need round -abouts....they are fantastic,at keeping traffic flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    The city should be ashamed of itself for not completing the block between PIM and CHURCH in a timely manner. This would have allowed traffic to flow up CHURCH street to the traffic lights at Wellington and taken pressure off of WELLINGTON EAST. It is unbelievable that one block could not be completed since last MAY.
    you can thank Bell for that. They delayed the project at least a month due to the fibre optics they had to reroute.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The lights should flash yellow and red after 11pm,after my time in southern ontario this past week,we need round -abouts....they are fantastic,at keeping traffic flowing.
    i agree 100%

think these are bad, try the lights and stop signs in Montreal. I think the civil engineers there had too much vin before setting up the lights and what not.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

If you are headed north on Carmen's Way, and then try to turn at west onto Wellington during the turn signal, the light turns yellow as that first car is proceeding through the turn.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

Actually I "heard" that they found sink holes which is why it is taking so long to finish that part of the road.
    MagicFingers

A roundabout, flashing yellows, the people that drive in this town would have to go back to driving school. The majority of drivers don't even know how to behave at a four way stop!

Ashamed? Really?

That's pretty harsh no?

Wouldn't the company hired to do the work be the one who should be embarassed it has taken so long? Why would the city be ashamed?
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by pyper39 View Post
    The majority of drivers don't even know how to behave at a four way stop!
    That is so true. Some are at an absolute loss at the order they are to proceed.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

The problem in this city is not with the timing of the lights... the problem is with the SPEEDERS! People are ridiculous in this city. Constantly doing 80 or more in a 50 zone and then you wonder why you keep hitting red lights? I don't speed and I've rarely ever had more than 2 red lights in a row. If I have to stop for the second one it is usually because there is a line up of people in front of me who sped past me to race to the light and are slowing traffic as they stop 5 seconds before it turns green. Really, all they are doing is burning gas and wearing out their brake pads. There is nothing in life that is so important that it is worth risking other people's lives and property to get there 2 minutes sooner. Drivers need to slow down!
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information