Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows 8 or not

Default Windows 8 or not

Thinking of getting my wife a laptop for Christmas! Asus? Windows 8 or Windows 7? She is used to Windows XP!

Default Re: Windows 8 or not

windows7

Depends, if she is going from xp then 8 might work out well for her. Win 8 wasnt bad perse , its just different.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

She has only been on XP. She plays games on Facebook and does photoshop stuff! There is an ASUS for $649 at Staples but it is Windows 8. I am not computer savvy either! Any info will help! Thanks!

Once you get used to windows 8 it's pretty neat

You can even set it up to have the old desktop look with a taskbar and start icon if you don't like the new "metro" style they have. I've heard good things about it. I'm just not in a rush to upgrade.

I used it once, I was rather annoyed with it.
    If you are planning on using a web browser or e-mail client under metro it becomes rather clumsy on a desktop.
    The experience is comparable to using a program on a phone, without the touch screen part and a much larger display.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

I am leaning towards the windows 7 but really not sure. Any suggestions on make of laptop? Maybe I will forget the whole idea. Thanks for the info.

I've had good luck with my last Toshiba and current Samsung.
    Try and steer clear of Acer Dell Compaq HP and Gateway.
    Sony's Ok but are rather expensive for what you get. Lenovo's are decent too but their price point might not be the best.

What about ASUS? Do you know anything about touch screen? Decisions decisions and more decisions!

Unless you like to clean your screen from fingerprints everyday, I would not use a touch screen for every day use.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

bought an Asus netbook at least 4 years ago and have had no problems using it. I still use it daily.

While Asus is nice, netbooks aren't for everybody. I personally hate them. Their laptops are nice but can be on the higher end of the pricing scale sometimes.

Touch screen isn't what it's all cracked up to be. My laptop has a touch screen and I rarely use it. It's not that responsive and just gets really dirty. This is a primary reason that Windows 8 Metro doesn't appeal to me. That and I think the interface is just plain ugly and cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Asparas View Post
    While Asus is nice, netbooks aren't for everybody. I personally hate them. Their laptops are nice but can be on the higher end of the pricing scale sometimes.

Touch screen isn't what it's all cracked up to be. My laptop has a touch screen and I rarely use it. It's not that responsive and just gets really dirty. This is a primary reason that Windows 8 Metro doesn't appeal to me. That and I think the interface is just plain ugly and cluttered.
    not suggesting netbook over laptop. two very different machines. Just pointing out that my Asus netbook has been reliable. In fact, the Asus motherboard I installed in my PC that I built in 2005 is still working great too.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    not suggesting netbook over laptop. two very different machines. Just pointing out that my Asus netbook has been reliable. In fact, the Asus motherboard I installed in my PC that I built in 2005 is still working great too.
    Of course they are good. I have an ASUS tablet and my inlaw has a netbook from them. Both great devices. They certainly have proven themselves over the years that's for sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information