Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 121 to 136 of 136

Thread: Protest signs

  1. #121
    Senior Member Nihilistic Heathen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The City of Dis
    Posts
    1,841

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    And look how well that co-existence works.
    European settlers have done well, while First Nations have not.
    Coincidence? Don't think so.
    Herein lies the problem.
    One can be a true believer in anything: psychic ability, Christianity or, as Bertrand Russell classically suggested (with irony), in the fact there is a teapot orbiting the earth. I could believe any of those things with total conviction. But my conviction doesn't make them true. Indeed, it is something of an insult to the very truth I might hold dear to say that something is true just because I believe it is. ~Derren Brown

  2. #122
    Senior Member riggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    that little dark corner of your mind
    Posts
    4,908

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilistic Heathen View Post
    If you would really like to get technical about it, natives lived in communal societies. Private ownership of land was a foreign concept to them. They did have wars with other tribes over territories. So the concept of territorial ownership was not a foreign concept.
    And if you really want to get tecnical about it, it wasn't the ownership of the land they were fighting over. It was territorial pride and resources that led to their wars with each other.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

  3. #123
    Senior Member 1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11,790

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    And if you really want to get tecnical about it, it wasn't the ownership of the land they were fighting over. It was territorial pride and resources that led to their wars with each other.
    Did the winners sign treaties? Or was it winner take all?
    ....................

  4. #124
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Protest signs

    I suggest you check out Roman history, which was one of the largest and most influential empires that ever existed. They had treaties.

    http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/r...07Rmntrety.htm
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  5. #125
    Senior Member gouligann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Protest signs

    And now we are going to have a $150 million dollar fight with BFN, Chief Sayers over the whitefish fisheries in St Mary's river. They are the ones with the nets strung all over our lakes and rivers, raping the breeding fish stocks during spawning season, and THEY dare to want compensation for this?

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SAULT
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: Protest signs

    i am learning a lot. keep typing. nice to see some knowlegable returns.

  7. #127
    Senior Member gouligann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    2,256

    Default Re: Protest signs

    I figure with all the alcohol abuse, drug addiction and gas huffing….Canada obviously does not have a native population capable of governing themselves or of making intelligent choices regarding environmental issues. It would be interesting to know how all these “Thiefs” have spent the money they have stolen from their own people. I bet most of them have little to show for it.

  8. #128
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
    And now we are going to have a $150 million dollar fight with BFN, Chief Sayers over the whitefish fisheries in St Mary's river. They are the ones with the nets strung all over our lakes and rivers, raping the breeding fish stocks during spawning season, and THEY dare to want compensation for this?
    This is the problem when you base treaties on general items like "resources".
    What happens when the resource has been depleted?
    Why should there be compensation when a resource has been depleted?
    Is the treaty still valid once the resource seizes to exist?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  9. #129
    Senior Member bohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SAULT STE MARIE, ONTARIO CANADA
    Posts
    1,151

    Default Re: Protest signs

    funny when you go live in other country for any length of time and become a citizen...you are just that....one of the everyday people. now take russia for example....do they differentiate between natives and any others....how about australia...do they have protests regarding who owns what....how about europe.....who were the first people there?? dodo not tell me that the white man was an original in europe...this only happens in canada,,,,if all this crap had of happened in the states...the aboriginal thieves and protesteors would be in JAIL...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilistic Heathen View Post
    If you would really like to get technical about it, natives lived in communal societies. Private ownership of land was a foreign concept to them. They did have wars with other tribes over territories. So the concept of territorial ownership was not a foreign concept.
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

  10. #130
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Protest signs

    I still want to know why I could not immigrate to Canada as a Native Canadian. They only have Canadian as an option.
    If that's the only option, than the logical conclusion is that there's no such thing as a Native Canadian.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  11. #131
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Protest signs

    No, because the natives have rights other Canadians do not have.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  12. #132
    Senior Member bohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SAULT STE MARIE, ONTARIO CANADA
    Posts
    1,151

    Default Re: Protest signs

    i loved that response from the chief of that 340 member reserve, when asked why she was making $243,000 a year AND one of the COUNCILLORS made close to 1,000,000....again...the racist card was played...and basically ....NOBODY should be questioning her salary etc...b.s
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

  13. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Soo
    Posts
    4,509

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I suggest you check out Roman history, which was one of the largest and most influential empires that ever existed. They had treaties.

    http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/r...07Rmntrety.htm
    Yeah, when they conquered a nation through war. the treaties, in that case, benefited the Romans more than the nations that they conquered.

    As Nihilistic Heathen stated,
    There was no warfare between Native's and Europeans in Canada.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  14. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Soo
    Posts
    4,509

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
    I figure with all the alcohol abuse, drug addiction and gas huffing….Canada obviously does not have a native population capable of governing themselves or of making intelligent choices regarding environmental issues. It would be interesting to know how all these “Thiefs” have spent the money they have stolen from their own people. I bet most of them have little to show for it.
    There are a lot of drug and alcohol abusing people in all areas of life....not to mention embezzlers, cheated and frauds...so what's the excuse for the government? Nothing like stereotyping....

  15. #135
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Soo
    Posts
    4,509

    Default Re: Protest signs

    Quote Originally Posted by bohd View Post
    fhow about australia...do they have protests regarding who owns what....
    Yup.

    Land Rights Fact Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by bohd View Post
    now take russia for example....do they differentiate between natives and any others....
    Yup

    March 24, 2000 № 255 "On a single list of the indigenous peoples of the Russian Federation" Can be translated using Google.

  16. #136
    Senior Member bohd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    SAULT STE MARIE, ONTARIO CANADA
    Posts
    1,151

    Default Re: Protest signs

    thank you for the info the russian one is interesting(good thing i can read russian) . i can understand land claims for indiginous people, which is evident in both articles.
    what i did not see is that the australian and russian indiginous people were not given vast amounts of money to distribute amongst themselves as do the canadian indiginous people. from the government that is.
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts