Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Protest signs

Default Re: Protest signs

The Government of Canada and the courts understand treaties between the Crown and Aboriginal people to be solemn agreements that set out promises, obligations and benefits for both parties.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    You think it is possible in this society that we created for anyone to live free of money and ownership???
    no, we took that possibility from them ages ago.... around the same time we took their children and threw them into death ca..... er I mean residential schools.
    Do aboriginal people want to live in our community and be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other person living in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    DQ, you seem to want natives to perpetuate a state of victimhood. It's a good thing not all of them think the way you do.
    victim-hood???
    how bout getting-what-they-where-promised-hood?
    You only want them to "get over it" because this wasn't something you experienced, if this happened to white people you would be out there making a stand just like they are. Telling people to "get over it" is coming from a privileged position.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Do aboriginal people want to live in our community and be subject to the same rules and regulations as any other person living in Canada?
    no one can speak for an entire community, but we exposed them to this life and forced them to live it whether they liked it or not over generations, it's called conditioning.
    Besides, isn't this something you accepted as part of being Canadian when you moved here, or did you just want the benefits of being Canadian but didn't want to be prepared to accept the consequences that gave us these benefits?
    - Mark Twain

Bah... like I said, no one really cares what a bunch of willfully ignorant hillbillies think, no point discussing this with people that refuse to accept the answers when they ask a question.
    - Mark Twain

no one can speak for an entire community, but we exposed them to this life and forced them to live it whether they liked it or not over generations, it's called conditioning.
    Besides, isn't this something you accepted as part of being Canadian when you moved here, or did you just want the benefits of being Canadian but didn't want to be prepared to accept the consequences that gave us these benefits?
    They were conquered. They had the opportunity to fight and lost. This is the way civilization works, this is the way countries were shaped.
    For some reason natives think they are more Canadian than non natives. Truth is they are equal.

hans, i don't know the legal end of a treaty. i do know of a guy that has seen an actual treaty, held it in his hands and read it. the treaty stated that the legaly binding document was to last until the sun does not rise and the rivers stop flowing. buddy said it was a very impressive piece of literature. as to how legal or binding it is? don't know....would like to see one though

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    hans, i don't know the legal end of a treaty. i do know of a guy that has seen an actual treaty, held it in his hands and read it. the treaty stated that the legaly binding document was to last until the sun does not rise and the rivers stop flowing. buddy said it was a very impressive piece of literature. as to how legal or binding it is? don't know....would like to see one though
    I don't think it was the intention of a treaty to last forever.
    What would happen if all resources were used up and there was nothing left but land? In that case you would not have to pay money anymore, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr belsito View Post
    http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=52702
    Yes,more money is the answer, give it to them, they deserve it !
    All you need to know : "The Crown had a fiduciary duty to protect this asset and failed to do so."
    In other words : "We sat down and said or did nothing until it was lost, upon which we now ask for $150 million compensation."

treaties that were signed 350 years ago ... kinda outdated dont you think. kinda like the 2nd amendment in the US. The Human rights bill is basic humans rights. Not much has changed with that in the last 300 years. MAybe the welfare folks shouts ld protest and get the human rights bill amended so having internet, snowmobiles and 4 wheelers added to their basic rights, while us working stiffs, slave and grind just to pay bills. your right DQ, the human rights bill does need to be amended.
    Copyright© 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

victim-hood???
    how bout getting-what-they-where-promised-hood?
    You only want them to "get over it" because this wasn't something you experienced, if this happened to white people you would be out there making a stand just like they are. Telling people to "get over it" is coming from a privileged position.
    white ppl are the minority right now, if the 'white people' were doing all the protesting, they would be all in jail right now.

What rights do all those natives have going into the Civic Building and disrupting all those workers? did they want to get a front row few how working ppl go about their day?? just curious
    Copyright© 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

They were conquered. They had the opportunity to fight and lost. This is the way civilization works, this is the way countries were shaped.
    For some reason natives think they are more Canadian than non natives. Truth is they are equal.
    If you are talking about technicalities, the natives were here first. It WAS their country when our ancesters got here. They Were promised to be helped. Having said that, I believe that it is past time to work with our aboriginal countrymen and try and make new resolutions for the better of ALL Canadians.
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

Quote Originally Posted by italiandomino View Post
    white ppl are the minority right now, if the 'white people' were doing all the protesting, they would be all in jail right now.
    and I'm certain you have evidence of this right?

What rights do all those natives have going into the Civic Building and disrupting all those workers?
    The right to peacefully assemble.... or do just some people get these rights?

did they want to get a front row few how working ppl go about their day?? just curious
    Right, cause if you want to see people work for their money you definitely go into government offices.....
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf 1 View Post
    If you are talking about technicalities, the natives were here first. It WAS their country when our ancesters got here. They Were promised to be helped. Having said that, I believe that it is past time to work with our aboriginal countrymen and try and make new resolutions for the better of ALL Canadians.
    It does not matter they were here first and it was their country.
    I bet there is not even a native word for country, since it's a concept they did not understand.

We invaded them, they were conquered and we now call this area Canada. That's the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf 1 View Post

And if you're talking about technicalities, natives always believed it was Gods land and could not be owned by man.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

I bet there is not even a native word for country, since it's a concept they did not understand.

We invaded them, they were conquered and we now call this area Canada. That's the way it goes.
    That is why you dont show mercy in warfare. It comes back and bites the people in the ass a few hundred years later.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Senior Member Nihilistic Heathen's Avatar

Akiin is country, Anishinaabewakiin is Ojibway country.

They weren't conquered, treaties were signed so that European settler's could co-exist with the First Nations.
    One can be a true believer in anything: psychic ability, Christianity or, as Bertrand Russell classically suggested (with irony), in the fact there is a teapot orbiting the earth. I could believe any of those things with total conviction. But my conviction doesn't make them true. Indeed, it is something of an insult to the very truth I might hold dear to say that something is true just because I believe it is. ~Derren Brown

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    And if you're talking about technicalities, natives always believed it was Gods land and could not be owned by man.
    If you would really like to get technical about it, natives lived in communal societies. Private ownership of land was a foreign concept to them. They did have wars with other tribes over territories. So the concept of territorial ownership was not a foreign concept.
    One can be a true believer in anything: psychic ability, Christianity or, as Bertrand Russell classically suggested (with irony), in the fact there is a teapot orbiting the earth. I could believe any of those things with total conviction. But my conviction doesn't make them true. Indeed, it is something of an insult to the very truth I might hold dear to say that something is true just because I believe it is. ~Derren Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilistic Heathen View Post
    Akiin is country, Anishinaabewakiin is Ojibway country.

They weren't conquered, treaties were signed so that European settler's could co-exist with the First Nations.
    And look how well that co-existence works.
    European settlers have done well, while First Nations have not.
    Coincidence? Don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    That is why you dont show mercy in warfare. It comes back and bites the people in the ass a few hundred years later.
    There was no warfare between Native's and Europeans in Canada. There was between the French and English and between the British(Canada) and United States. Natives allied themselves with all three.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information