Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: shaw or bell?

Default shaw or bell?

which would be the better option?

I only use roughly 50gb bandwidth a month.

Bell Fibe 15

or shaw high speed 20.

I'm currently a shaw high speed 20 customer, but I noticed bell is offering an intro rate for 6 months that could save me about 30$ a month.

Would I notice much of a difference between the two?

I occasionally play ps3 online, and mostly just browse the internet.
    Last edited by _daynzy; 01-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Default Re: shaw or bell?

You'll notice the lack of customer service and a savings of as you say $30 for 6 months.

Pretty much not the answer I'm looking for. Looking for a performance comparison.

I know bell has terrible customer service.

A few things first.
    50 gb is not bandwidth. It is traffic under the form of 50 Gbyte/Month of data. Even Bell calls it bandwidth, but it's not.

Bell fibe 15 consists of 15 Mbit down / 10 Mbit up.
    If you read the little letters your mileage my vary : Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell: min. 10 Mbps and max. 15 Mbps down speeds; Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds. Maximum 75 Gbyte of data/month
    Basically, pending how far away from the nearest switching central you are, you could end up with 10/0.680.

Shaw high speed 20 consists of 20 Mbit down / 0.5 Mbit up. Maximum 200 Gbyte of data/month.
    Your speed will vary pending on overall traffic on your node, but it will not vary based on your location or how far away from the closest switch you are. It's technically speaking guaranteed to be 20/0.5.

As for saving money, you can get Shaw for 3 months at that price, or Bell for 6 months.
    As for difference you wont notice much unless you end up with 10/0.680. You will notice that. Shaw usually perform pretty well at 20/0.5.

I would ask Bell to tell you what speed you would actually get if you go with them, since they know how far away you are from their equipment.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Thanks!

I wouldn't let Bell clean out my outhouse. If you go with them, .... remember, you were warned.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

I've had bell before I know they're customer service. Don't care about that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information