Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 100

Thread: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

  1. #61
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    The arguingqueen strikes again...
    show me where I'm wrong.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  2. #62
    Senior Member Strife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    6,313

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    I have to agree with DQ to some extent. Kids these days think that they are entitled to everything under the sun. I dont think we can chalk it all up to poor parenting or perhaps the educational system, but somewhere down the line, society has changed today's childhood. Instead of playing hide and seek outside or even outdoor sports, kids as young as 10 are playing Call of Duty, Halo, and Need For Speed. Kids no longer communicate face to face. They communicate over Facebook and text messages.

    Today's kids have discovered that CAS will get involved in even the hint of child abuse, even if all you did was spank the child. The kids I have come into contact with yell and swear at their parents, threaten other kids, and generally bully everyone around them. The school just sticks them in a special class away from other children because that's all they can do. If they punish them, their parents call the school board and whine that their child is being mistreated. The school board contracts the cab companies in town to transport these problem children. If my child had to take a cab to school, he surely wouldnt have a PS3 and a flat screen in his room. He would have nothing but a dresser and a bed in his room. Kids that take these cabs have cell phones, iPod's, gaming systems and flat screen TV's. Maybe we can root this all down to bad parenting or society in general but no matter who is to blame, I weep for the next generation of working class.
    <insert witty comment here>

  3. #63
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,251

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    show me where I'm wrong.
    "We are raising selfish kids with selfish parenting methods, for some reason people seem to think they are automatically good parents once they pop one out. and by claiming "they are the most precious thing in the world to me" they are being good parents. I'm sorry, but no, no you're not."
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  4. #64
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    "We are raising selfish kids with selfish parenting methods, for some reason people seem to think they are automatically good parents once they pop one out. and by claiming "they are the most precious thing in the world to me" they are being good parents. I'm sorry, but no, no you're not."
    Now go ahead and show me how this statement is incorrect.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  5. #65
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,251

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    It's incorrect because you claim people seem to think they are automatically good parents.
    How do you know what people think?
    Not to mention the fact you imply nobody knows how to raise children, and parents use selfish parenting methods.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  6. #66
    Senior Member KDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,227

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    I don't care whether or not the student knew how to behave. That's beside the point.

    My point was that it's major overkill for a teacher to call the police to have the kid criminally charged for acting out -- he had a binder, not a gun! Teachers are paid well enough to handle these situations, not abdicate their responsibility.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    909

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Reading the article it would appear that the 14 year old in question struck 3 students with a binder. If it was a one time toss of a binder or three separate strikes isn't clear and if it was the latter case it would appear the 14 year old may have been out of control. Once the police were contacted it was out of the control of the teacher as to charges being laid. It's possible the teacher was concerned for the students safety.

    http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fv-v...o/mcb-cce.html

    "There are times when parents, caregivers, and teachers may have to use force to control a child and keep the child, or other children, safe. Grabbing a child to keep that child from running across the street, carrying a screaming three-year-old out of a store, or separating two young students who are fighting may require a parent, caregiver, or teacher to touch or restrain the child.
    Without section 43, parents, caregivers, and teachers could face criminal charges and have to go to court to defend their actions whenever they used force to respond to a child's behaviour."

    "The use of force to correct a child is only allowed to help the child learn and can never be used in anger.

    The child must be between two years old and twelve years old.
    The force used must be reasonable and its impact only "transitory and trifling".
    The person must not use an object, such as a ruler or belt, when applying the force.
    The person must not hit or slap the child's head.
    The seriousness of what happened or what the child did is not relevant."
    Noting that the student was 14 I am not sure where the teachers legal rights were in properly instructing the student and if physical restraint was an option...anyone?

  8. #68
    Senior Member Tutones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    3rd Braincell to the right.
    Posts
    5,889

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    I don't care whether or not the student knew how to behave. That's beside the point.

    My point was that it's major overkill for a teacher to call the police to have the kid criminally charged for acting out -- he had a binder, not a gun! Teachers are paid well enough to handle these situations, not abdicate their responsibility.

    The Teacher did not call police. The school administration did, after dealing with the student in the office & investigating the incident. All acts of aggression/violence in the school are routinely refereed to the school liaison officer who then determines if charges are warranted. It could also be possible that a parent of one of the students struck by the binder requested that charges be laid. The teacher has no say in whether the police are involved in any classroom incident.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

  9. #69
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Unfortunately we are raising our kids in a generation where they are made to believe they are more important than everything else, a little bit of competition is healthy, but that was removed because parents where putting too much emphasis on it. Teachers where there to help stop bullying, or at least curtail it. but the parents of said bullies thought "oh no, not my little angel" We are raising selfish kids with selfish parenting methods, for some reason people seem to think they are automatically good parents once they pop one out. and by claiming "they are the most precious thing in the world to me" they are being good parents. I'm sorry, but no, no you're not.
    But I'm sure this will only serve to expose some cognitive dissonance and said people will justify their behaviors with "But dancingqueen, you don't have children" To which I will say you don't need to have children to be able to identify patterns in said children, if anything, it makes me better able to do so without bias.
    Yes that's right DQ you don't have children. So how come you keep talking about 'how we' raise 'our' children? Kinda patronizing actually and no, you aren't qualified to comment.

  10. #70
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    It's incorrect because you claim people seem to think they are automatically good parents.
    How do you know what people think?
    Not to mention the fact you imply nobody knows how to raise children, and parents use selfish parenting methods.
    I do claim people seem to think they are good parents, they do SEEM so.
    I did not imply anything if that is what you read, I am sorry. I cannot be expected to defend what others THINK I am saying.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  11. #71
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by NewCasa View Post
    Yes that's right DQ you don't have children. So how come you keep talking about 'how we' raise 'our' children? Kinda patronizing actually and no, you aren't qualified to comment.
    So in other words, you cannot show where my statement is incorrect?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SAULT
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Unfortunately we are raising our kids in a generation where they are made to believe they are more important than everything else,

    sounds like there is alot of that happening right here.....

  13. #73
    Senior Member Roll The Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    YYZ
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    So in other words, you cannot show where my statement is incorrect?
    another hijacked thread...
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

  14. #74
    Senior Member NewCasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.
    Posts
    7,994

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    So in other words, you cannot show where my statement is incorrect?
    No need for other words DQ. I was just considering the source.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    My own little reality
    Posts
    3,015

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Translation:
    You describe exactly how I raise my kids and I don't like it so as you already predicted I will disregard what you say because it makes me feel uncomfortable and attribute your inability to identify patterns on the fact that you have not raised kids... there, that makes me feel better about perpetuating the cycle of selfish kids
    You have a serious reading comprehension problem. I have not raised special snowflakes. Two teens, three jobs between them, never in trouble, honour students. Again, I will give your parenting experience zero consideration, as you have none. I have 18 years experience, thanks.

  16. #76
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post
    You have a serious reading comprehension problem. I have not raised special snowflakes. Two teens, three jobs between them, never in trouble, honour students. Again, I will give your parenting experience zero consideration, as you have none. I have 18 years experience, thanks.
    I know you don't really care because it will be my generation that has to fix all the screwed up kids your generation created.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  17. #77
    Senior Member Roll The Bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    YYZ
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    I know you don't really care because it will be my generation that has to fix all the screwed up kids your generation created.
    yup... it's been hijacked alright...
    Fate is just the weight of circumstances.

  18. #78
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,251

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    I know you don't really care because it will be my generation that has to fix all the screwed up kids your generation created.
    I think it's more you than the kids...
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    My own little reality
    Posts
    3,015

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    I know you don't really care because it will be my generation that has to fix all the screwed up kids your generation created.
    Really. And just how is "your generation" planning to "fix" my generations kids? By being occupying activists? By promoting more laws like no spanking and no accountability like the young offenders act? All lovey dovey, no keeping score in sports, no failing a grade, no zeroes on assignments never handed in? Tell me, DQ.

  20. #80
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,062

    Default Re: 14 year old charged with assault with weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post
    Really. And just how is "your generation" planning to "fix" my generations kids? By being occupying activists? By promoting more laws like no spanking and no accountability like the young offenders act? All lovey dovey, no keeping score in sports, no failing a grade, no zeroes on assignments never handed in? Tell me, DQ.
    First off, spanking never has been and never will be illegal, leaving marks is because you should not punish your kids out of anger.
    occupy movements are for the future generation, unless you think it's okay that the few wealthiest people get to determine how laws get applied to the majority.
    lack of accountability? You guys started that look at any press release, any forum, any means of communication and you will see a whole lot of people pointing fingers at anyone but themselves
    I don't think you know anything about the YCJA so unless you can point anything out specifically I won't bother dignifying that with a response.

    What did your generation do?
    I mean besides tell a whole generation that they need to go thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for school because they are better than those minimum wage jobs, then when we wonder where those jobs are you tell us we should be lucky we have a job at all and call us lazy and entitled?
    What about raising kids to think they are more important than others, then turning around and calling us spoiled brats?
    What about sending your children to be looked after by church groups, scout leaders, camp counselors you knew nothing about so you could have your evenings to yourselves, then turn around and blame us for being screwed up.
    Please, your generation screwed this generation up and rather than try to fix it or accept accountability you look for somewhere else to point the finger.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts