Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Antivirus

Default Antivirus

I am looking for information on Antivirus programs for Windows 8. I have always used AVG. This new laptop came with 30 days of McAfee. Any suggestions as to good virus checkers would be appreciated. I have never used freebies. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Antivirus

Use the one built into win 8 if you feel you absolutely need one. Otherwise I dont find a purpose for one myself.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Despite what you say about not using freebies, Microsoft Security Essentials is probably the best. For basic virus scanners that's my favorite. If you're set on paying for one, Norton 360 is pretty good.

Somewhere on my Windows 8 there is supposed to be something similar to Microsoft Security Essentials. I will have to look for it and figure out how to get it to work. I will have to figure out how to get rid of McAfee, too. It is a lot easier for all you young people who know so much about computers than this old timer!
    Thanks!

You gotta love it when you purchase a new laptop and they fill it with trial versions of software.
    You also gotta love it that the restore partition will re-install all the trial software.
    The only way to get rid of all that crap is to fork out money for a windows license.
    Than they wonder why people end up with laptops that develop stability problems.

Even my WHS server that I purchased a few years ago had McAfee installed...
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

I use the best antivirus/malware protection available! Common sense...
    <insert witty comment here>

IMHO

I bought AVG...2 YEAR PALN FOR 60 BUCKS...GREAT SO FAR....DOES EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY

If you have Shaw, use their McAffee Internet Security for Shaw. It is free. Call Shaw and they will set you up. The programs removes all other anti virus files because they conflict.

I have had a new Windows 8 laptop for about six months and all I have on it is windows Defender. Should I put another virus checker on it?

http://free.avg.com/ca-en/free-antivirus-download use this free one you'll be better protected than just using defender

Thanks for the info.

Microsoft Security Essentials works just fine. It doesn't come with the OS due to anti-competition laws. Its free, lightweight, and works a hell of a lot better than a freeware one.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information