Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poll for or against flu shots

Default Poll for or against flu shots

Don't know if its because I am getting older as quickly as everyone else (go figure), but I am on the tail end of the worst bout of flu I have had ever. I have adamantly resisted getting flu shots in the past. Now I want your opinion. I know a question like this brings out the anecdotal horror stories, but just curious. Are you for or against? And why?
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Default Re: Poll for or against flu shots

Untill recently I have been against me getting the flu shot, my reasoning is that I understood getting the shot reduces your immunity system, and forcing your body to be exposed to it strengthens it. I've been told by some people this is not the case, though have received different explanations as to why so I am trying to research this a little more thoroughly and may change my opinion on this matter pending results of said research.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

I get the flu shot every year, mainly because I am in contact with a lot of people.. As I have been getting older and have a few chronic conditions I make sure to get the shot as early as possible each year

I get the flu shot religiously as I dislike being ill and have other medical issues that would be a problem when combined with the influenza.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

IMHO

i GOT THE SHOT for the last 8 years...never had the flu...always got it before the shot came out. I am a believer !!!

Banned

I would never get the flu shot. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I'm pretty sure the flu shot killed JFK.

I did get the shot when advised by my doctor to do so as I do have a chronic illness. I will never do it again!! I don't normally get much more than a minor cold and have always been fine until I had the shot.
    People can argue for all they are worth about how it must have been a coincidence but I ended up with flu like symptoms for over a month right after my flu shot. I am a germaphobe and am diligent on my hand washing, etc.
    I believe that some people can have the shot and some of us just can't. It is a personal choice.

I do question the effectiveness of the vaccine because of the strains that come about. They like to tell you much later in the season...after everyone got the shot, that this one doesn't quite address the current virus. It's impossible to forecast what virus is going to show up and how to create a vaccine for it in a quick time.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

SO far 1 vote against, 1 who ought to be a stand up comic, and the rest are for. Sounds encouraging.
    I did hear from a person on my facebook page who had a flu shot and was sick all winter long. Another one who had fibromyalgia and was advised by her doctor against it.

In 1998 I too had a very bad flu with a high fever. I was living alone at the time and that particular bout scared me I was so sick. The following September I started getting the flu shot and have been getting it every year since. I am also more aware about washing my hands as I work with the public and handle money on a regular basis. I have not been deathly ill since then. I will not go a season without getting it.

I rarely had flu like symptoms afterI had it done in high school, and rarely have them now after not having it, I'm neutral on the subject :/
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Got the flu shot twice in 9 years, and was sick both times. Didn't get it other years and didn't get sick. I think it changes from person to person. The 2 times I got it, I had to get it. My kids have been getting it all their lives, and they have had the flu every year. We got them the flu shot this year, both got a fever right after, and my son was sick 3 times with the flu.

I say, if I'm going to get the flu, might as well be the old fashioned way and not by a needle.

I've never had the shot and I have never gotten the flu - a bad cold - but not the flu.

Haven't had the shot, or the flu since I was a kid.

I can't think of any good reason not to get the shot though, and when the day comes that I suffer a bad bout I'll probably start getting it.

I had the flu shot once, had the flu right after. I've never been sick any time I haven't got one.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I get the flu shot and will continue to get the flu shot.
    MagicFingers

the stats on the flu shot. they predict what strains of flu will be prevalent but can not be sure. even if you are vaccinated against the strain that is circulating around you right now you are still only approx 60% protected. that means you still have a 40% chance the flu shot wont protect you. in all my years of mandatory flu shots i have never seen an outbreak. yes, outbreaks, but not what was in the flu shot. there was alot of illness going around this year and alot of `flu` smyptoms, but it wasnt the actual influenza bug. i am so against it because it is mandatory for me at work, and i totally honestly do not believe it helps me or any of the folks i deal with. i also know people who have had adverse reactions from the shot and that scares the hell out of me. not in the last 10 years, mind you, this was 10 & 11 years ago.

Banned

So if you get the flu shot, you may or may not get the flu but if you don't get the shot you may or may not get the flu.

Quote Originally Posted by kitca View Post
    the stats on the flu shot. they predict what strains of flu will be prevalent but can not be sure. even if you are vaccinated against the strain that is circulating around you right now you are still only approx 60% protected. that means you still have a 40% chance the flu shot wont protect you. in all my years of mandatory flu shots i have never seen an outbreak. yes, outbreaks, but not what was in the flu shot. there was alot of illness going around this year and alot of `flu` smyptoms, but it wasnt the actual influenza bug. i am so against it because it is mandatory for me at work, and i totally honestly do not believe it helps me or any of the folks i deal with. i also know people who have had adverse reactions from the shot and that scares the hell out of me. not in the last 10 years, mind you, this was 10 & 11 years ago.
    That is helpful.
    SO my stats are - without ever having a flu shot, I would get the flu ONCE every year. According to your stats, I stand a 60% chance with the flu shot, of NOT getting the flu. Looking good for leaning in favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    That is helpful.
    SO my stats are - without ever having a flu shot, I would get the flu ONCE every year. According to your stats, I stand a 60% chance with the flu shot, of NOT getting the flu. Looking good for leaning in favour.
    yes, that is almost true, it is 60% if you are vaccinated against the active strain.

i really think the flu shot is a personal choice. if you believe in it and feel good about it you feel empowered and protected by it. if you feel trapped and that it is manditory and you dont believe in it then you feel sick. i think our mindset and how we view things affects the outcome too.

Odd how people maintain their ability to become ill when administered a vaccine that any and all medical people say it is impossible to get the illness from as it is not a "live" vaccine. This becomes impossible to reconcile by any thinking individual. The few say with all certainty they have and will again become ill from a "dead" vaccine. Ipso-facto, all medical people are either wrong or involved in a conspiracy. Shear numbers would say at least a small number would vehemently disagree. I point no fingers but relate to a verbal I was involved in.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information