Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Poll for or against flu shots

Default Re: Poll for or against flu shots

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Ipso-facto, all medical people are either wrong or involved in a conspiracy. Shear numbers would say at least a small number would vehemently disagree. I point no fingers but relate to a verbal I was involved in.
    Medical people are just like everyone else...they know what they're taught.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    Medical people are just like everyone else...they know what they're taught.
    Ah, one vote for conspiracy or do you believe them all incompetent?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Banned

I vote conspiracy.

Perhaps I am too trusting or maybe gullible but they have not hurt me yet and if they do in fact kill me and I find out about it........................
    Joseph Joubert

Wow. I made it know to my facebook crowd and I have a lady there who is deep in naturopathy, and to her, you'd think I was committing apostasy when I made it known I was gonna take the flu shot this fall. I have no issue with alternative medical approaches, but let's not get religious about it! Have you noticed the tendency that those who are into homeoopathy and naturopathy and are also into conspiracy theories are people who are sick more often?
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

The simple answer is to use a homeopathic flu vaccine.

"The Law of Similars is, interestingly, the principle behind vaccinations. However, the dose and method of delivery commonly used by doctors poses a significant risk of harm to those being vaccinated. Conventional vaccinations involve crude doses of the microbe linked to the disease being vaccinated against, and the dose is injected directly into the blood stream, bypassing all of the natural defense mechanisms of the body. Thus, the body receives too strong a dose and too suddenly, creating a shock to the organism that can lead to reactions, from mild to severe, including death in some cases. The use of actual viral material also sets the body up for auto-immune disorders, a fact well documented in the research literature."

"The homeopathic immunization, on the contrary, provides an oral dose of an infinitesimal amount of the virus material alone, which does not shock the system. By following natural laws, is able to reach deeply into the cellular and energetic levels of the patient and stimulate a more wholistic immune response, without risk to the filtering systems (kidneys, liver) of the body or of generating any auto-immune response, such as allergies. Because it is processed through the mucous membranes, as it would be if the virus were contracted in nature, its action is more wholistic."

http://www.homeopathy.com/clinic/168...rug-injections

One way to make your own flu vaccine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88fDGPA7wM

I started taking the flu shot may years ago due to a family member having a compromised immune system and no I longer suffer thru days of delerium with the effects of the flu.

I've been getting the flu shot every year since I got the "flu" I thought I was going to die, seriously I felt like a 400 pound man was sitting on my chest and I ran a fever of 103 or 104 for 2 solid weeks - Even my hair hurt... After antibiotics and complications I was 24 days before I felt human again.
    That fall I got the flu shot - and have gotten one every year since.
    I've thought about not getting it, but I too had a family member with a compromised immune system, as well as my father in law in a nursing home (where it was mandatory to have one to visit).

I've never been ill after a shot.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

LOL

provides an oral dose of an infinitesimal amount...
    Yeah, I am familiar with the homeopathic remedies. The infinitesimal amount amounts to virtual non-existence. Nope. I am a firm skeptic when it comes to most of homeopathy.

I have sat in the office of a homeopath who had this ancient looking machine, and he would rub his palm on top of a metal plate, and turn these two dials back and forth and then pass his hand over the patients body without any touching. He would then tell the patient their problems.

all very hocus pocus

Are you a homeophobe?

j/k

I used to get the flu shot and then went years without it or the flu. A few years ago, we had two doozies of flu types going around and my wife and I got both (we probably each brought one home and shared) H1N1 and an Asian flu. Then we got pneumonia. Christmas to Easter sucked that year healthwise. Since then, we get the flushot. I haven't had the flu since and my wife did get the flu this year, but nothing like several years ago. I'll keep getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

That would be a homeopathaphobe

France. Yeah that's it, we're from France.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    LOL

Yeah, I am familiar with the homeopathic remedies. The infinitesimal amount amounts to virtual non-existence. Nope. I am a firm skeptic when it comes to most of homeopathy.

I have sat in the office of a homeopath who had this ancient looking machine, and he would rub his palm on top of a metal plate, and turn these two dials back and forth and then pass his hand over the patients body without any touching. He would then tell the patient their problems.

all very hocus pocus
    1 or 2 quacks should not discredit an entire profession. If that were the case I'm pretty sure nobody would have faith in their family doctors. Oh wait....never mind.

No, my skepticism in homeopathy is due to more than quackery. I lean towards the theory that most of homeopathy is quackery (no offense to those who have been helped by it). I have known several homeopaths in my life time, and I would not call them Quacks. I do think for the most part they are honest and well meaning but simply wrong.

In fact, I have once been helped by a homeopath, but I will never know if, had I not taken her remedy I would have gotten better anyway.

I think due to the nature of the illnesses that they treat they have a certain percentage success rate, but I believe so much of that can be either psychosomatic healing or healing that (as in my case) would have taken place without the treatment.

There is so much anecdotal evidence that goes both ways. I believe one has to resort to science to make the final determination, if one can be found.

In that box on the corner ...i have a laptop jacked into your house

i don't take the flu shot due to the chemical make up ... if they are going to shoot me with last years strain how is that going to prevent me from this years strain ? ...

the last time i was sick was when h1n1 was flying around ... i had the flu for all of 24hours if that ...

now if anybody had any major illnesses where catching the flu may kill them .. id more than likely recommend it .. but for a healthy person .. catching the flu means you don't have to worry about that strain again ... your immune system has built its defenses to fight it ..
    The world is so beautiful i hurt.
    If you look closely, you can see beauty in everything.

It is a recognized fact the human mind responds to placebos albeit a small percentage. Homoeopathy is in my mind of similar value. Blue may take offence at the balance of my spiel and for that I will apologize in advance but those of a more religious bent are more prepared to accept "faith" healing and there fore homoeopathy. Christians are predisposed to believing in the unseen, the "unproven" if you will. I do not dispute some of the homoeopathic remedies do have "real" results but they work slower than modern methods.
    Joseph Joubert

I'm for and against them. The only reason I got the H1N1 shot or was it the flu shot that one year was because I was hospitalized for a week and didn't wanna take a chance becoming sick again from being in a hospital full of sickness. lol Aside from that I really don't see a need for flu shots unless you are in the "high risk category."

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    It is a recognized fact the human mind responds to placebos albeit a small percentage. Homoeopathy is in my mind of similar value. Blue may take offence at the balance of my spiel and for that I will apologize in advance but those of a more religious bent are more prepared to accept "faith" healing and there fore homoeopathy. Christians are predisposed to believing in the unseen, the "unproven" if you will. I do not dispute some of the homoeopathic remedies do have "real" results but they work slower than modern methods.
    Hey no offense taken. And I will give you an inside look from someone who as a believer hobnobs with believers. In my circles, there is not a whole lot of belief in faith healers and such. Rather (and I am just speaking from the culture that I know) it is more the conspiracy mindset that seems to run rampant in Christian circles. Conspiracy theories about pharmaceutical companies, about doctors, etc. Would you believe the first time I heard about the chemtrail conspiracy was in church from a couple who believed (hook,line and sinker)that pharmaceutical companies were seeding the skies with bacteria to make us sick on purpose so that we would have to buy their products.

There was nothing I could do to dissuade this couple. It is sad.

I had a flu shot once. In my case, it triggered Bell's Palsy, which I then had to deal with half of my face paralyzed for a couple of months. No more flu shots for me, thanks.

I'm mixed about the whole flu shot thing. Scientists around the world meet, try to anticipate what strains of flu will be most likely for the coming year, and you get immunized against the top 3 strains on their list. It's a crap shoot, at best.

If there is an outbreak of a dangerous new strain of flu, you are not protected. The shots themselves carry some degree of risk, depending on who you ask. So, by getting the shot, you run a small risk of side effects or complications, that have nothing to do with the flu.

For most average, relatively healthy adults, the flu is not a life-threatening thing. You feel like crap, you lose a couple of days work, and life goes gradually back to normal.

So, if you have a medical situation that makes getting the flu put your health into peril, by all means, get a flu shot. If you work extensively with large volumes of people, by all means, get a flu shot.

But if you're just a regular joe, with normal health and in contact with only a limited number of people, you might be better off just developing a good hand-washing strategy. You might get tagged with one of the bugs going around, but the government won't get the chance to inject you with secret sauces that will make you obey authority better, or buy more stuff.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

1. I work with people. SO when the flu goes around, I generally catch it.
    2. Most people who take it tell me it helps. The occasional one say they caught the flu anyway, in spite of getting the vaccine
    3. A few people have a strong negative reaction
    4. By far most of the people who are negative about the flu shot have not had it. They are prejudiced either by conspiracy theory or a commitment to all things natural. Or they have a homeopath in the family

So I have decided to go for it for the first time, this fall. I will keep y'all posted. If you care.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    I'm mixed about the whole flu shot thing. Scientists around the world meet, try to anticipate what strains of flu will be most likely for the coming year, and you get immunized against the top 3 strains on their list. It's a crap shoot, at best.

For most average, relatively healthy adults, the flu is not a life-threatening thing. You feel like crap, you lose a couple of days work, and life goes gradually back to normal.
    First point above, if the strain has drifted or mutated, there may still be immunity.

Second point above, if the strain is novel, sometimes it is those most healthy that are most severely affected. For example, Spanish Flu, 1918-1919. Some say it ended WW 1.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information