Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmen's Way - the hits just keep coming!

Default Carmen's Way - the hits just keep coming!

The drivers of an SUV and a half-ton are going to be late for work this morning, as they are the latest casualties of the engineering wonder we fondly refer to as Carmen's Way.

Wonder how many collisions that makes for this year so far? Oh, that's right - nobody wants to keep tabs on that.

Commence blaming the ongoing demolition derby on bad drivers, instead of a bad road design....

Now!
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Default Re: Carmen's Way - the hits just keep coming!

Last time I was there, I could clearly see both ways so I am not so sure why you blame it on bad road design. I see many people taking chances there and many other intersections and instead of crossing quickly they wonder why they get honked at when they slowly creep into traffic while others are making friends with them like a prisoner dropping their soap in the shower.

IMHO

There is nothing wrong with that road but there sure is with some drivers. There is a posted speed of 50 but many are flying down there at 70.

It was supposed to be a bypass to the bridge, shouldn't be cross traffic anywhere except for at traffic lights. Comnee should have been a pedestrian bridge, people can take the two extra minutes drive to cross at the underpass or Second Line. People don't pay attention, nothing wrong with the road, just the idiots misusing it. A median will fix that problem.
    "When you work hard all day with your head and know you must work again the next day, what else can change your ideas and make then run on a different plane like whiskey?" (Ernest Hemingway)

Carmens Way has to be the widest open street in town,not even a sharp curve on the entire length from 2nd line to queen.

The Crossing at Comnee Ave can,t get more wide open in both direction. I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Lance1; 06-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Banned

Stupid roads and their stop signs.

I've heard many times that the road was poorly designed. Nobody can say what's wrong with it though. I guess some people just won't be happy until we have traffic lights at every intersection in the City.

Banned

We have all seen how impatient a large portion of Sault drivers are. Just because there are a lot of accidents doesn't mean its the road. Even at busy times of the day there are openings to cut across Carmens Way. Once again Left Sock wants to cater to stupid people.

The intersection is just fine. The problem is with recognition. Some cannot recognize natural selection when it is occurring. Pull out into oncoming traffic and get your just desserts. People need focus on the task at hand and the wrecks would drastically diminish.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

The idea was to offer a route for transports to get to the bridge without going through town. Anyone else using it was at their own peril. If you know how to drive, there should be no problem, .... thing is, people are lousy drivers, .... get over it.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Since the road was built, I have suspected that the large arcing curves designed to create better visibility are actually causing more accidents, due to the distortion of distance that results. Drivers overestimate the amount of time they have with approaching traffic, and underestimate how much distance they must travel to get across the road, at certain points. Carmen's Way is much wider at certain crossings, than average streets.

There is a way to prove scientifically that the problem is road design, rather than driver error. I realize this city is chock full of terrible drivers, but you can weed through that, with statistics.

If the City was to conduct a traffic study, select a few key pieces of roadway as well as Carmen's Way, and analyze the traffic flow versus the number of collisions in those areas over a period of time, and if there was a statistical significance between Carmen's Way and the other data, you would conclusively prove that Carmen's Way has design flaws that lead to accidents.

I doubt very highly that the City would undergo such research, because if the conclusion was proven, then the City could be liable, if legal action was ever taken by some of those drivers.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Every time I have used that crossing, I can clearly see in both directions to know when it is safe to enter the intersection. The problem is bad drivers. Period.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Drivers overestimate the amount of time they have with approaching traffic, and underestimate how much distance they must travel to get across the road, at certain points. Carmen's Way is much wider at certain crossings, than average streets.
    This is one of the skills drivers acquire. It's part of defensive driving.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Well, basically it's the 'funhouse' effect. A car traveling on a curve looks like it is going slower than it actually is. Your mind has a preconceived notion of how long it takes to cross a normal street. You put the two together, and even decent drivers find themselves having to goose the gas mid-way, to get clear of the intersection.

I cross Carmen's Way daily, and I take extra precaution when doing so. I have driven more than 300,000 kilometers without a collision, but I always experience a bit of added stress when crossing Carmen's Way.

So, I would concur that it is a skill some drivers acquire, but I would suggest that it's the exception, rather than the rule. There is no need to design roads in this manner, and when traffic is heavy, the added complications are leading to otherwise decent drivers getting caught in the crossfire.

That's my position, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Since the road was built, I have suspected that the large arcing curves designed to create better visibility are actually causing more accidents, due to the distortion of distance that results. Drivers overestimate the amount of time they have with approaching traffic, and underestimate how much distance they must travel to get across the road, at certain points. Carmen's Way is much wider at certain crossings, than average streets.

There is a way to prove scientifically that the problem is road design, rather than driver error. I realize this city is chock full of terrible drivers, but you can weed through that, with statistics.

If the City was to conduct a traffic study, select a few key pieces of roadway as well as Carmen's Way, and analyze the traffic flow versus the number of collisions in those areas over a period of time, and if there was a statistical significance between Carmen's Way and the other data, you would conclusively prove that Carmen's Way has design flaws that lead to accidents.

I doubt very highly that the City would undergo such research, because if the conclusion was proven, then the City could be liable, if legal action was ever taken by some of those drivers.
    Now you're just throwing irrelevant things into the mix like "data" and "statistics" and "information"
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Banned

Ya lots of data and statistics and information. Carmen's Way has less accidents than every single interesection, big and small, in the entire Sault. Prove me otherwise.

Banned

Let's brainstorm. What areas of town seem to have the same or more accidents than Carmens Way.

GNR-Second Line
    GNR- Northern Ave
    GNR- McNabb
    Pine- Wellington
    Dacey-Trunk
    McNabb-Pine
    John St.- Queen St

Maybe we will notice another pattern. People have no idea how to drive.

This City needs to get rid of the 50 Km/H limits on any roads with more than 2 lanes in every direction.
    It will solve half of the collisions.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Quote Originally Posted by official soonet pu$$ycat View Post
    Let's brainstorm. What areas of town seem to have the same or more accidents than Carmens Way.

GNR-Second Line
    GNR- Northern Ave
    GNR- McNabb
    Pine- Wellington
    Dacey-Trunk
    McNabb-Pine
    John St.- Queen St

Maybe we will notice another pattern. People have no idea how to drive.
    Carmen's way is a fairly new road no?
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    This City needs to get rid of the 50 Km/H limits on any roads with more than 2 lanes in every direction.
    It will solve half of the collisions.
    agreed.
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information