Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmen's Way - the hits just keep coming!

Default Re: Carmen's Way - the hits just keep coming!

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    The drivers of an SUV and a half-ton are going to be late for work this morning, as they are the latest casualties of the engineering wonder we fondly refer to as Carmen's Way.

Wonder how many collisions that makes for this year so far? Oh, that's right - nobody wants to keep tabs on that.

Commence blaming the ongoing demolition derby on bad drivers, instead of a bad road design....

Now!

Getting this thread back on topic...

I actually have seen the fury of hurried and horrible drivers on Carmen's Way in the morning and evening hours. I've been on that road many times with them. I've crossed that road many times with them. There's nothing wrong with the dam road. It's the idiot drivers who drive over the speed limit, or take unnecessary risks while crossing, because they've left themselves no time and are now in a rush to get from point A to point B.

I'll come out and publicly blame the accidents on bad drivers because I've seen the drivers in this city. For people with a barely 20 minute commute to work they sure are in a dam rushed hurry! Maybe they should leave the house earlier in the morning? I mean, if it's so important to sit in a huge line to get that Timmies then you have to make time for it! Besides, Is it really such a crime to show up a few minutes early to work if you aren't delayed?

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the way that Carmen's Way is designed. I would LOVE for the city to install cameras on the "bad intersections" and then put all the accidents on a Jumbo-tron down town for all these so-called street design critics to see.

Let's put the blame where it belongs!
    Last edited by ViperZeroOne; 08-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.

i was there when transport canada looked at the conmee stop sign along with the rail crossing. that seems to be where people blow through and hit carmen's way vehicles. i figured it had to do with the stop signs on conmee being relatively new. when i asked what could be done about it , he asked me what these people do when they go to a strange city and every stop sign is a new one to them. he is right. everyone needs to take responsibility for their driving.

Well, that's good news!

http://www.saultstar.com/2013/09/24/...-river-washout

Now, maybe the City should be hiring CN to do the roadwork on time sensitive projects, like the Queen West fiasco that was scheduled for a 6-week shutdown in mid-May, and is still a disaster!

The CN crew totally rebuilt an entire rail bridge, tested it with cargo trains, and had it back up and running in two weeks!

So, what's the excuse for taking 6 months to rebuild a piece of road over a creek at Queen West? Hmm?
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Is it the diversion of water that normally runs through this aqueduct while it is being rebuilt that has caused the underpass to fill up twice this summer? It is necessary to stop water flowing through the aqueduct so it can be repaired. One would think that our City Engineers would have put some thought into 'what if scenarios'. Let's hope the Planning Department makes use of downtime this winter to take some actual Planning Courses - their record is abysmal to say the least. There has not been one Project come in on time. Look at the Second Line by pass - 2 years and still no second layer of asphalt. I guess they'll wait till snow flies like last year so we get that roller coaster feeling while driving like this year. Was in Mississauga over the last week and they managed to strip and repave 4 km of Erin Mills Parkway (4 lanes wide) in one nite between midnite and 7 am.
    Last edited by ctf; 09-25-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: bad grammer

A lot of bad drivers in this town, and a lot of self proclaimed professionals in road construction appear to congregate here.

Here's something you self proclaimed professionals should be familiar with -- its a little term called "soil compaction". You should be aware of how this affects the speed in which a road, ditch, or culvert can be repaired or resurfaced. Here's a tiny hint -- you can't speed the process up by running it over with a compactor... and rain is not your friend.

But to keep this on topic about Carmen's Way -- some idiot in a dark grey Pontiac Montana minivan almost met their maker today. A tractor-trailer unit and I (a tractor-dump box) unit were coming down Second Line hill towards Carmen's Way -- the trailer in the inside lane, myself in the curb side lane. We were both at speed... 60ish kph, with the trailer unit just slightly ahead of me by about 8-10 ft. This idiot in the minivan decides to weave out from behind the trailer, wedge himself in front of me, and then weave in front of the other tractor again. I didn't quite enjoy having to lock up my brakes just to avoid crushing a minivan between myself and another rig -- I blasted my air horn at the guy.. and get this... he gives me the finger. The other tractor had to lock up his brakes to avoid hitting him also. And for what? So that minivan could turn left onto Carmen's Way before the tractor.

I swear... some people... if they hadn't have taken that first breath that morning... it'd have been a better day for a lot of us out there.
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-25-2013 at 08:12 PM.
    As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else.
    I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead; hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect.
    So I exist in this waste land; a man reduced to a single instinct......SURVIVE

"Here's something you self proclaimed professionals should be familiar with -- its a little term called "soil compaction". You should be aware of how this affects the speed in which a road, ditch, or culvert can be repaired or resurfaced. Here's a tiny hint -- you can't speed the process up by running it over with a compactor... and rain is not your friend."

Just curious, why do they call that particular piece of equipment a 'compactor', if that's not what it does? Why bother to put gas in it, or pay an operator to run it? They could just hire a student, and get him to make 'vroom-vroom' noises at the construction site - would save some dough, no?
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

"Here's something you self proclaimed professionals should be familiar with -- its a little term called "soil compaction". You should be aware of how this affects the speed in which a road, ditch, or culvert can be repaired or resurfaced. Here's a tiny hint -- you can't speed the process up by running it over with a compactor... and rain is not your friend."

Just curious, why do they call that particular piece of equipment a 'compactor', if that's not what it does? Why bother to put gas in it, or pay an operator to run it? They could just hire a student, and get him to make 'vroom-vroom' noises at the construction site - would save some dough, no?

The amount of weight that the soil beneath a roadway needs to support cannot be immediately achieved by a compactor or roller. When water/utility lines are laid into place, if you were to immediately run a compactor over the soil covering them - you'd start to collapse the utility services buried. The soil must compact on its own to a specified hardness... before layers of finer/coarser grade materials can be laid over top and then compacted mechanically. Even then, after being compacted mechanically -- they must remain undisturbed for a period of time to settle a bit further naturally.

Its not about eliminating a job... its about being able to support immense weight loads and being structurally sound. Its the same reason when building a foundation to a home.. they don't just throw a machine down there to smooth things out then start pouring concrete; the machine does go down there.... but nature took its course also...

Unpredictable things like ground heaving, and cracking occurs. Soils can't be too dry or too wet when going through compacting -- too dry, it won't stick together... too wet, and its like a slurry: similar to building a snowman or a sand castle... it has to be "just right". There's science, and engineers involved in roadway building.
    As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else.
    I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead; hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect.

Banned

As one who has no idea about the science of constructing roads, I will lean towards believing you because you seem to know what you're talking about. Sock, in your reply, use the word science and try to leave out phrases such as "then why call it a compactor". My sink has a compactor but it doesn't do anything to roads.

So, like, when the CN guys completely rebuilt the train bridge in two weeks, they should have waited until things settled naturally, before letting passenger trains use it? Are they reckless, or are the guys on Queen West just full of excuses?

Is that scientific enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    There's science, and engineers involved in roadway building.
    Not to mention mind warping curves with hallucinogenic capabilities...
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

So, like, when the CN guys completely rebuilt the train bridge in two weeks, they should have waited until things settled naturally, before letting passenger trains use it? Are they reckless, or are the guys on Queen West just full of excuses?

Is that scientific enough?
    You are aware of how a train bridge and rail road tracks work right? You do know that they aren't high traffic.. and that the rails and ties do more point-load supporting than the ground underneath it... right? Take a look at some of the rail lines that run through the wilderness sometime -- in some areas there are ties rotten or completely missing. Only time there's a "real" concern with the railways is if the actual rails are damaged.

You're comparing apples to oranges -- roadways and railways aren't the same.

Perhaps Carmen's Way will eat the idiot in the 80s dark blue pickup that felt the need to drive on the north sidewalk, at Wellington and Carmen's way, to get past three cars stopped at that red light, to make a right turn onto Carmen's Way. About 8 or 8:30 last night.

What an ass.

"You're comparing apples to oranges -- roadways and railways aren't the same."

Okay, how about the Trans-Canada highway in Wawa that completely washed away last year. They had that back up and running within a matter of days. How was that possible, given what you said earlier about "they must remain undisturbed for a period of time to settle a bit further naturally."

Is the Trans-Canada highway a 'high-traffic' area? How did they manage to get it back up and running within days, especially considering it was subject to a washout, and obviously an area where erosion and water flow is a problem?

There is no excuse for taking six months to repair Queen West. It's a small piece of road, over a creek. It's not even part of the truck route, for crying out loud. The announced 'six weeks' seemed like a generous overestimate when it was posted on signs and I thought, 'there's no way it will take them that long'. Boy, was I wrong!

Residents in any other city would be flipping out by now, at such a ridiculous display of incompetence. But up here in the Sault, we just keep on making excuses for the dozens of roads that stay buggered up all year long.

Driven down Wellington East lately, by the Churchill Plaza? Love those guys running around in traffic first thing in the morning, moving pylons while people try to weed through the gauntlet. Anybody ever heard of night paving, for commercial/high traffic areas? They've got Queen St. closed in two places, so all that westbound traffic to the steel plant and the downtown core are funneling down Wellington to get where they need to go, so what do they do? Make a pylon obstacle course out of it, with only one lane of traffic in each direction, with cars going down the opposing lanes.

Honestly, this is the dumbest city I have ever encountered, when it comes to road construction.

"You're comparing apples to oranges -- roadways and railways aren't the same."

Okay, how about the Trans-Canada highway in Wawa that completely washed away last year. They had that back up and running within a matter of days. How was that possible, given what you said earlier about "they must remain undisturbed for a period of time to settle a bit further naturally."

Is the Trans-Canada highway a 'high-traffic' area? How did they manage to get it back up and running within days, especially considering it was subject to a washout, and obviously an area where erosion and water flow is a problem?

There is no excuse for taking six months to repair Queen West. It's a small piece of road, over a creek. It's not even part of the truck route, for crying out loud. The announced 'six weeks' seemed like a generous overestimate when it was posted on signs and I thought, 'there's no way it will take them that long'. Boy, was I wrong!

Residents in any other city would be flipping out by now, at such a ridiculous display of incompetence. But up here in the Sault, we just keep on making excuses for the dozens of roads that stay buggered up all year long.

Driven down Wellington East lately, by the Churchill Plaza? Love those guys running around in traffic first thing in the morning, moving pylons while people try to weed through the gauntlet. Anybody ever heard of night paving, for commercial/high traffic areas? They've got Queen St. closed in two places, so all that westbound traffic to the steel plant and the downtown core are funneling down Wellington to get where they need to go, so what do they do? Make a pylon obstacle course out of it, with only one lane of traffic in each direction, with cars going down the opposing lanes.

Honestly, this is the dumbest city I have ever encountered, when it comes to road construction.
    You are so right left sock. So, when are you leaving town? Soon, maybe ? I mean the road construction may take years. Wouldn't want to upset you much more....
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

That's the whole point. I've been here for more than 30 years, and I'm not going anywhere. Instead of running away or just accepting complacency, I'm the kind of person who will stick around, and keep demanding that things improve.

I guess that's the difference between me and other people from this town. Some just give up on the city, and move south. Some just give up on themselves, and accept whatever comes their way. I don't like either one of those options.

So, I will keep harping away at the stupidity I see, in hopes that enough people will actually wake up, and start demanding the kind of city people would want to move into, instead of away from. That's the only way we will ever get growing again.

People always count on the steel plant for sustainability, they always think that so long as the steel plant remains, we will be a viable city - so there's no need to think, plan, or push ourselves. What a sad way to live.
    Last edited by The Left Sock; 09-28-2013 at 04:26 AM.

That's the whole point. I've been here for more than 30 years, and I'm not going anywhere. Instead of running away or just accepting complacency, I'm the kind of person who will stick around, and keep demanding that things improve.
    What were your demands? Do you still believe your demands are sound ideas after being schooled? Who have you made your demands to? Did they reply to your demands? What kind of reaction did they have to your demands? Did they think your demands were workable? Have they applied any of your demands locally or did they just find your demands a little too demanding? Do you think they're too proud to incorporate your demands? If you can't show us the demanding emails and letters, perhaps a highlight of "Socks demands" would make for an interesting read?

I hope you didn't find this too demanding.

Don't worry, I don't even find it amusing.

Be happy with a half-assed town, going nowhere. Be happy with wasted resources, and squandered opportunities.

Don't demand a damned thing. You're exactly where you should be.

Don't worry, I don't even find it amusing.

Be happy with a half-assed town, going nowhere. Be happy with wasted resources, and squandered opportunities.

Don't demand a damned thing. You're exactly where you should be.
    Sorry I called you to accountability. Embarrassing you was the last thing on my mind...

Banned

I believe Riggs'. Rigges. I believe the point of Riggai is that all you do is ***** on Soonet about it and then be complacent about it. Do something about it instead of lecturing others about it and then doing nothing.

"Sorry I called you to accountability. Embarrassing you was the last thing on my mind..."

No need to apologize - you haven't got what it takes to put a tiny ripple in my pond.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information