Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Internet is killing Canada Post

Default Re: The Internet is killing Canada Post

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    I don't think delivering the mail would be a bad job. I don't see how it's a lazy job though. It is amusing when a teacher is the one calling them lazy.
    Postal worker's are not supposed to walk across anyone's lawn.

Their routes are audited.

A time schedule is allotted to the route.

They shortcut their route and get finished well ahead of schedule on most days.

Then they take a nice long lunch break to rest up for their afternoon walk.

Then in the afternoon they shortcut their routes again get done early.

I am pretty sure that some of them get to go strait home after delivering the mail in the afternoon.

I could be wrong, but I do not believe they have to punch a clock at the post office to end their shift.

Pretty Cush Job if you ask me.

Banned

" I think their job is more mentally draining than anything. A lot of them go home and refuse to cook dinner and insist to their wives that they had a harder day so she should have to cook. 85-87% of then do this daily"

-Left Sock

hmm I know alot of letter carriers and no they don't take long lunch breaks, where do you think they can have lunch on your front steps, most work right through without breaks, and yes they do go back to the post office after their shifts they have to hand in their paperwork. and no it is not a cushy job maybe you could try it for a day, ask a new letter carrier how cushy it is,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    lol, what are you talking about?

I didn't say being a mail person was quite physically demanding. I didn't say that you said teaching is physically demanding. You seem a little confused.
    Oops, sorry, got you confused with Soc.

Which, no doubt, must be extremely worrisome to you

Banned

Today, Labor Day (Labour Day), is a good time to reflect on those of us who labor the most; those who are brought to the edge of exhaustion after every workday:

The Postal Carrier.

Yes, that's right. Some days, this Titan of Labor has to walk against winds reaching seven miles per-hour. Other days, it may rain. Yet, they walk on.

Some days temps up here hit a staggering 26c. Yet, they walk on.

A beagle with two-inch fangs snarls. Yet, they walk on.

Union-imposed fifteen-minute breaks each morning and afternoon, plus lunch. Yet, they walk on.

Carrying envelopes and packages that sometimes weigh two to three pounds. Yet, they walk on.

So on this day that honors those that labor, let's take time out to honor those who are the laborest...laborestests...laborerers...

The Postal Carrier, whom Soc tells us takes a seat behind only the garbage collector, whose job is so difficult mere mortals curl up in a fetal position and begin sucking their thumb after foolishly attempting the job.

Banned

Three cheers to the hardest workers in the world.
    Excellent tribute RW.

I concur...an excellent tribute.

Let's not forget that Handyman warned us civilians about the perilous conditions and dangers that the postal workers face each day.

They are true warriors.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Banned

And let's not forget the season upon us: Fall

You brave falling leaves whipping down upon you, sometimes at 2 to 3 KM/H

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    I concur...an excellent tribute.

Let's not forget that Handyman warned us civilians about the perilous conditions and dangers that the postal workers face each day.

They are true warriors.
    Perhaps it's time to award postal workers medals as well as qualify them for Veterans benefits.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

I do not usually view much on soonet anymore these days, nor have my say, but this certain article about Canada Post has got me intrigued.

I really don't like hearing about how people can be bashing the Canada Post. I am a letter carrier with them, and trust me, with any job you will get your good and bad days.
    Being a "newbie" with Canada Post (and that's at least within your first couple of years being employed) is a very hard job. First, you don't know what route you will be placed on. We sort our own mail in the mornings and some of you don't know that, or think that's a walk in the park, but it's not. Learning the streets and case where the mail is to be place, then pulling the mail and having it organised to be delivered. Packing it up and have it sent out to the correct boxes to be picked up later. All of this takes time and a lot of mental planning. Many of the posties do not leave the post office until 11am, and our walks that we have to do are approximately made out to be 4 hours long. If you are a regular employee with a regular walk that you're scheduled on, sure you'll get faster at sorting, pulling, and delivering. But you cannot put any of us down, just because we're faster than what our time frame is made for.

Secondly, on top of the strenuous mental anguish we endure, we also have to deal with on average 1-2 sets of flyers near daily. Which is very heavy to carry. Takes more time for us to deliver, and fumble around with. A route I have been doing before has nearly 900 points of call. That's 900 flyers to be lugging around, sometimes up to 5 or 6 sets of flyers.

Thirdly, even on top of that, yes, we work outside and have to deal with +30 degrees of hot weather sometimes (with humidity, etc.) or the complete opposite -30 degrees. Sun, rain sleet or snow, you'll get your mail. If you don't use the Canada Post for anything, then that's fine. It's nice to have "snail mail" for many things though, as stated before. Pension, disability, and welfare cheques are a very heavy time of the month, obviously. Many people do not have bank accts and have their cheques dealt with in other fashions. Shaw bills, PUC bills, Bell bills, advertisements, lawyer letters and files, magazines, small packages. There is so much that people do not know about, getting delivered to other people or businesses on a daily basis.

Do you actually think we only have a hundred pieces of mail to deliver and that's it? Try more like sorting in 400-1000 pieces of mail on a daily basis. Oh and to clarify, almost every postie finishing early usually means that we're working straight through. No breaks, no lunches. I work right through and usually end up being done still close to my 4pm time. We are good people and we do hard work. We deserve our pay and just because we're not shoveling ***** at 30 degrees heat, doesn't mean we're still not busting our asses in some way.

It sounds to me like a few of you are just jealous at the money we receive and the "hours" we get paid for. Maybe you should quit your jobs, and come over and try performing our duties on a daily basis. There are many posties that are having leg and knee problems from all of our walking, and going up and down steps, etc. I read somewhere that over the course of a 30 year period delivering mail, a letter carrier walks the same distance as 3 times around the world.

I also would like to say, thank you to those that actually understand and are thankful for their mail delivery. And to those that are bashing, you really need to do the job and know what you're talking about in order to bash us.

Quote Originally Posted by Quick Slice View Post
    I do not usually view much on soonet anymore these days, nor have my say, but this certain article about Canada Post has got me intrigued.

I really don't like hearing about how people can be bashing the Canada Post. I am a letter carrier with them, and trust me, with any job you will get your good and bad days.
    Being a "newbie" with Canada Post (and that's at least within your first couple of years being employed) is a very hard job. First, you don't know what route you will be placed on. We sort our own mail in the mornings and some of you don't know that, or think that's a walk in the park, but it's not. Learning the streets and case where the mail is to be place, then pulling the mail and having it organised to be delivered. Packing it up and have it sent out to the correct boxes to be picked up later. All of this takes time and a lot of mental planning. Many of the posties do not leave the post office until 11am, and our walks that we have to do are approximately made out to be 4 hours long. If you are a regular employee with a regular walk that you're scheduled on, sure you'll get faster at sorting, pulling, and delivering. But you cannot put any of us down, just because we're faster than what our time frame is made for.

Secondly, on top of the strenuous mental anguish we endure, we also have to deal with on average 1-2 sets of flyers near daily. Which is very heavy to carry. Takes more time for us to deliver, and fumble around with. A route I have been doing before has nearly 900 points of call. That's 900 flyers to be lugging around, sometimes up to 5 or 6 sets of flyers.

Thirdly, even on top of that, yes, we work outside and have to deal with +30 degrees of hot weather sometimes (with humidity, etc.) or the complete opposite -30 degrees. Sun, rain sleet or snow, you'll get your mail. If you don't use the Canada Post for anything, then that's fine. It's nice to have "snail mail" for many things though, as stated before. Pension, disability, and welfare cheques are a very heavy time of the month, obviously. Many people do not have bank accts and have their cheques dealt with in other fashions. Shaw bills, PUC bills, Bell bills, advertisements, lawyer letters and files, magazines, small packages. There is so much that people do not know about, getting delivered to other people or businesses on a daily basis.

Do you actually think we only have a hundred pieces of mail to deliver and that's it? Try more like sorting in 400-1000 pieces of mail on a daily basis. Oh and to clarify, almost every postie finishing early usually means that we're working straight through. No breaks, no lunches. I work right through and usually end up being done still close to my 4pm time. We are good people and we do hard work. We deserve our pay and just because we're not shoveling ***** at 30 degrees heat, doesn't mean we're still not busting our asses in some way.

It sounds to me like a few of you are just jealous at the money we receive and the "hours" we get paid for. Maybe you should quit your jobs, and come over and try performing our duties on a daily basis. There are many posties that are having leg and knee problems from all of our walking, and going up and down steps, etc. I read somewhere that over the course of a 30 year period delivering mail, a letter carrier walks the same distance as 3 times around the world.

I also would like to say, thank you to those that actually understand and are thankful for their mail delivery. And to those that are bashing, you really need to do the job and know what you're talking about in order to bash us.
    You... You... this has to be satyr right? Like hahahahahahaha
    OMG HAHAHAHAHA
    This sounds like a job I had when I was 12 with Sault This Week.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHA
    and I bet dollars to doughnuts Canada post gets more money too.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

I have no idea what you're talking about dancingqueen, but you clearly have no idea what's it's like to work in there. Nor is it anything like delivering newspaper bundles. And i'm not satyr or whoever you're going on about.

If you think that it's so easy like delivering Sault This Week's, then why wouldn't you apply to be a letter carrier in the first place? It probably does pay more than you're making right now.

Banned

Satire?

Quote Originally Posted by official soonet pu$$ycat View Post
    Satire?
    yes, that's it.
    - Mark Twain

I have no idea what you're talking about dancingqueen, but you clearly have no idea what's it's like to work in there. Nor is it anything like delivering newspaper bundles. And i'm not satyr or whoever you're going on about.

If you think that it's so easy like delivering Sault This Week's, then why wouldn't you apply to be a letter carrier in the first place? It probably does pay more than you're making right now.
    because I grew up past 12 years old and needed more than $100 every two weeks.
    Canada Post probably does pay better than what I make now since they are over paid paper boys but since my last name doesn't end in a vowel fast food was about all the Sault had for me.
    - Mark Twain

[QUOTE=dancingqueen;732025]because I grew up past 12 years old and needed more than $100 every two weeks.
    Canada Post probably does pay better than what I make now since they are over paid paper boys but since my last name doesn't end in a vowel fast food was about all the Sault had for me.[/QUOT

yes thats the reason you can't find a good paying job, it couldn't be that attitude or your negative opionions you continue to share with us all

Weird, I got a good paying job in my field within a week after moving out of town... I mean, ..., but decent.... strange that.
    Last edited by Barry Morris; 09-03-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: insults
    - Mark Twain

some people can get a job anywhere ....others have to move

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    because I grew up past 12 years old and needed more than $100 every two weeks.
    Canada Post probably does pay better than what I make now since they are over paid paper boys but since my last name doesn't end in a vowel fast food was about all the Sault had for me.
    I've delivered papers too, yes, when I was 12-13... You're right, it was nothing but easy. And sure, walking is easy. But you have to open your negative closed mind and realize that you never have been a Canada Post employee, and to judge us, you should know a little about something you're judging us on. You, of which, know nothing. You have no idea what we do inside, our responsibilities and timeframes we have to work with. I don't think you'd actually be able to do it. Many people can not do the job. If they could, why wouldn't everyone want to do it for it's great pay and excellent exercise benefits. And yes, I get paid much more than you, i'm sure. Funny how you had to leave your home town, get paid less, and are probably paying more for costs of living.

You enjoy your crap job, I'll enjoy mine. Because I'm such a "glorified paperboy."

I've delivered papers too, yes, when I was 12-13... You're right, it was nothing but easy. And sure, walking is easy. But you have to open your negative closed mind and realize that you never have been a Canada Post employee, and to judge us, you should know a little about something you're judging us on. You, of which, know nothing. You have no idea what we do inside, our responsibilities and timeframes we have to work with. I don't think you'd actually be able to do it. Many people can not do the job. If they could, why wouldn't everyone want to do it for it's great pay and excellent exercise benefits. And yes, I get paid much more than you, i'm sure. Funny how you had to leave your home town, get paid less, and are probably paying more for costs of living.

You enjoy your crap job, I'll enjoy mine. Because I'm such a "glorified paperboy."
    What are the differences between a paper boy, and a Professional mail and flyer delivery personal?
    Please, enlighten me.

And I enjoy my job very much, just because I don't get paid asinine amounts for doing the job a 12 year old can do does not mean it's crap. Of course, I'm going to take the high road and not tattle on a mod for you insulting me.
    Last edited by dancingqueen; 09-03-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Someone's fewings got huwt and tattewed on me :( I sowy
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information