Vianet.ca

View Poll Results: On average, how many "speed demons" do you see daily?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll

1 6.67%

1 6.67%

1 6.67%

1 6.67%

5 33.33%

1 6.67%

0 0%

1 6.67%
  • 9+

2 13.33%
  • None

2 13.33%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Driving... Matters!

Default Your Driving... Matters!

I know people love to rant about the city and how screwed up the streets are, but have they taken a moment to stop and think about how much safer they would be if the people on them just drove safe? Honestly, you can put up as many signs as you want, as many lights as you want, and idiots will still find a way to cause havoc.

Case in point... HAPPENING NOW ...Another idiot thinking they're taking turn 3 at Talladega Motor Speedway has plowed into the guardrail (and possibly house) on the corner of Algoma Ave and McNabb St. That corner is clearly marked as being tight. It's clearly marked that you should slow down. There's even a set of crossing lights on it. Yet here is another vehicle going into the same dam house. What's the excuse? There's no ice on the road, which should also be noted is as dry as a bone. Why did this silver Dodge Ram all of a sudden decide to leave the road, plow itself into the guard rail so hard that it went over it, and possibly hit the house? Well the verdict is still out on that one because I don't have all the facts. The police are still doing their investigation.

With my experience in the fire service, and the way the vehicle looked to have impacted and landed, it looks to me like they were just driving too fast. It wouldn't be the first vehicle to wipe out on that corner for that reason. People in this town are ALWAYS disobeying the speed limits, among other things, and if you know this town you know EXACTLY where these "Nascar" drivers love to push that peddle down. (Second Line W. approaching Goulais Ave. perhaps?) I've also seen a huge increase lately in people who are just too rushed and people who can't be bothered to use their signal lights (including a taxi just last night).

I'm honestly not saying that every accident that happens in this city is the fault of the drivers involved. Actually I'll owe an apology to the Silver Dodge driver if it was some kind of mechanical malfunction... That said, I'd venture a guess that over 70% of them are. So, people, before you go blaming the city for "dangerous intersections", take a look at the driver seat and ask yourself how many risks you take and rules you break every day on those roads. You keep driving unsafe and eventually your luck will run out, just like I assume the driver of the Silver Dodge's did.
    Last edited by ViperZeroOne; 08-31-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Default Re: Your Driving... Matters!

As usual, everyone blames speed. Fact is, speed by itself does not kill.
    One can drive fast and still drive safe.

Distracted driving, now that is a different thing.
    Distracted driving has caused more deaths this year in Ontario than drunk driving.

So I would say go after the ones that are talking on their phone while driving. Those I see every single day, no matter what time of the day.
    It's clear there is no proper enforcement or laws, otherwise I would not see this every single day.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

St. George's Avenue is closed between St. Basil's School and Gladstone Avenue while police investigate a serious collision.

A short time ago a light coloured pick up truck appears to have struck a young woman on a bicycle.

She was taken to hospital and her condition is unknown at this time.
    http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=61038
    Kind of premature to be laying blame.

A female cyclist died after she was struck by a pickup truck at a central-area intersection Saturday night.

The woman was struck near the intersection of McNabb Street and Algoma Avenue at about 7:15 p.m.

She was taken to Sault Area Hospital where she died of her injuries, police say.

Bob Komishin tried to help the injured woman.

"There was just this lifeless body," he said.

"No vitals. No breath."

Doreen Greco saw police give roadside tests to two men. Both were handcuffed and put in a police vehicle.

“Not a scratch on them,” she said.

“Couldn't even walk. They were staggering. Drunker than skunks. Terrible. Terrible. I'm just sick about it.”
    http://www.saultstar.com/2013/08/31/...t-in-collision

Senior Member The 6th Member Of AC/DC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    As usual, everyone blames speed. Fact is, speed by itself does not kill.
    One can drive fast and still drive safe.

Distracted driving, now that is a different thing.
    Distracted driving has caused more deaths this year in Ontario than drunk driving.

So I would say go after the ones that are talking on their phone while driving. Those I see every single day, no matter what time of the day.
    It's clear there is no proper enforcement or laws, otherwise I would not see this every single day.
    Even race car drivers have to slow down at corners. Obviously if these guy plows into a guard rail, knocks a pole over and kills someone then ya, speed is a factor, along with poor reaction time and everything that goes with being drunk outta your skull. There are many jackpots that can't leave their vehicles at home before they go out drinking even when they know full well they are probably going to be drunk. Can't make a smart decision when you're bombed? Leave the car at home and spend a few bucks on a cab. Idiots....

It's too premature to lay blame!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZeroOne View Post
    I know people love to rant about the city and how screwed up the streets are, but have they taken a moment to stop and think about how much safer they would be if the people on them just drove safe? Honestly, you can put up as many signs as you want, as many lights as you want, and idiots will still find a way to cause havoc.

Case in point... HAPPENING NOW ...Another idiot thinking they're taking turn 3 at Talladega Motor Speedway has plowed into the guardrail (and possibly house) on the corner of Algoma Ave and McNabb St. That corner is clearly marked as being tight. It's clearly marked that you should slow down. There's even a set of crossing lights on it. Yet here is another vehicle going into the same dam house. What's the excuse? There's no ice on the road, which should also be noted is as dry as a bone. Why did this silver Dodge Ram all of a sudden decide to leave the road, plow itself into the guard rail so hard that it went over it, and possibly hit the house? Well the verdict is still out on that one because I don't have all the facts. The police are still doing their investigation.

With my experience in the fire service, and the way the vehicle looked to have impacted and landed, it looks to me like they were just driving too fast. It wouldn't be the first vehicle to wipe out on that corner for that reason. People in this town are ALWAYS disobeying the speed limits, among other things, and if you know this town you know EXACTLY where these "Nascar" drivers love to push that peddle down. (Second Line W. approaching Goulais Ave. perhaps?) I've also seen a huge increase lately in people who are just too rushed and people who can't be bothered to use their signal lights (including a taxi just last night).

I'm honestly not saying that every accident that happens in this city is the fault of the drivers involved. Actually I'll owe an apology to the Silver Dodge driver if it was some kind of mechanical malfunction... That said, I'd venture a guess that over 70% of them are. So, people, before you go blaming the city for "dangerous intersections", take a look at the driver seat and ask yourself how many risks you take and rules you break every day on those roads. You keep driving unsafe and eventually your luck will run out, just like I assume the driver of the Silver Dodge's did.
    Ya, I can remember a certain member on here swerving through traffic without using the signal light and using a cell phone. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by The 6th Member Of AC/DC View Post
    Even race car drivers have to slow down at corners. Obviously if these guy plows into a guard rail, knocks a pole over and kills someone then ya, speed is a factor, along with poor reaction time and everything that goes with being drunk outta your skull. There are many jackpots that can't leave their vehicles at home before they go out drinking even when they know full well they are probably going to be drunk. Can't make a smart decision when you're bombed? Leave the car at home and spend a few bucks on a cab. Idiots....

Race car drivers don't drive drunk, neither do they drive like idiots.

Race car drivers don't drive drunk, neither do they drive like idiots.
    Apparently you dont know much about Nascar drivers then lol

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    Kind of premature to be laying blame.
    Premature to lay blame eh?

I think your post was kinda premature in assuming innocence. I have experience on accident scenes, which is why (when I saw the accident scene first-hand) I knew the driver was at fault. Too bad an innocent biker had to pay the price for this. I seriously hope they throw the book at this guy. 25 years seems insignificant when you consider that another human being would still be alive today if this idiot hadn't been on the road.

I hope everyone gets as up in arms about this poor woman as they did for Don Doucet.

Ya, I can remember a certain member on here swerving through traffic without using the signal light and using a cell phone. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    By your quoting me I would assume you're referring to me, if not then go ahead and ignore this...

If you are, in fact, referring to me then you need to check your facts. After being involved in 2 accidents, both as the passenger in a vehicle where the driver was acting like a total asshat, I'm obsessed with using my blinker, proper lanes, and sticking to (well, less than 10kph over) the posted speed limits. I'm fairly obsessed with my cell phone, but when I'm entering my vehicle I make sure I put it in my pocket. The size of my smartphone makes it impossible for me to pull it out of said pocket while driving, thus I never do. I will even wait at a stop sign if there is any thought that I might not have enough time to pull out. Sometimes I might have had enough time, but it's better to sit there and wait than risk the possibility of an accident. So, if you're pointing a finger at me, you better have some seriously hard evidence to back it up. That said...

Speed limits are in place for a reason. If you don't agree with the posted speed limit on a road then you're one of those drivers who probably drives unsafe, or is always rushing from location to location because you don't give yourself enough time. There was a post on here somewhere where they said no 4-lane road should be posted under 60kph... Well I'm sorry, but where this accident happened it was 4-lanes! If you do 60kph around that corner then you're an absolute moron. Speed limits are in place because it's been proven that it's the maximum safe speed for vehicles to be traveling in that area. PROVEN! By people who are a lot smarter than most of those road raging about the posted speed limit. There is a pretty simple solution to speed limits you disagree with... STAY THE HELL OFF THAT ROAD, or suck it up and obey the law.
    Last edited by ViperZeroOne; 09-01-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Instead of double-posting I added the second "reply" to this one message.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZeroOne View Post
    Premature to lay blame eh?

I think your post was kinda premature in assuming innocence.
    I didn't assume innocence or guilt. Cyclists have been known to do some pretty stupid things and without the info we have now I wasn't jumping to any conclusion.

I'm curious though, just what part of my post made you think I was assuming innocence?

Speed limits are much higher here in Toronto.... the accidents happen in areas of high traffic lights... where the speed limits are much lower
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Apparently you dont know much about Nascar drivers then lol
    I would not call driving in a circle at high speed "driving".

I would not call driving in a circle at high speed "driving".
    Oh no, not at all. Give it a try and see how fast you are eating concrete.

I am not a racecar driver.
    I do know American racecar champions can't drive an F1 race, while F1 champions can drive and become American racecar champions no problem.

If it were so EASY to drive in a circle anyone could jump in a car and win races. Besides, Montoya, an ex Formula 1 racer, would have one many a championship in Nascar and yet hasn't been very successful in his latest ventures. But ALAS, you know everything lol.

Nigel Mansell and Mario Andretti illustrates exactly what I am talking about.
    1978 was the last year an American won an F1 race.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information