Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nascar Has Lost It's Luster

Cool Nascar Has Lost It's Luster

I must say that this years Nascar season 2013 has been a snore fest. Ever since the points system changed to include "The Chase", it has stunk. The Charlotte race last night was so brutal to watch I actually fought to keep my eyes open. Thankfully the last 15 laps made a bit of a change. You can see it race to race that the stands are not even close to being packed like the old days. What happened? I'm not sure, but one thing is that there are no true Nascar heroes. Also, the chase thing is dull. Cheating is also at fever pitch yet people are still allowed to race after getting nailed for it. Multi car teams have also ruined it in my opinion. Technology had killed it too. I hate to say this, but it's time to put a little redneck back into the sport rather than make it look like a rock concert.

Default Re: Nascar Has Lost It's Luster

I enjoyed it in the "early" TV years, 60's and 70's when they were truly stock cars. Something I could buy and drive. Now the cars bear little resemblance to what we, the motoring public drive. Now the Australian "super car" series, small real time cars with V-8's in 'em, there is fun. I do agree, a little "red neck" good ol' boy with some less contrived autos would be fun.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Totally agree... Low budget front wheel cars on the street converted to big horsepower V8's with rear wheel drive on the track in Nascar is pretty much a lie. I also see better racing on my way to work every morning. :-) Yeah the super car series cars are pretty cool. I'm actually more into midget racing than Nascar these days. Nothing like a dirt track night race. :-)

The number of empty seats at NASCAR events now is shocking. I know NASCAR hates when the camera pans the grandstands, but there isn't much they can do about it.

NASCAR peaked about ten years ago
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

Brian France, Toyota and the only thing stock about them anymore is a Ford 9" Rear end.

Escalating costs and dwindling corporate sponsorship.

Obvious manipulation of results as well as subjective application of their own rules.

Kyle Busch and Danica Patrick.

That's what's wrong with Nascar.

They need a Ricky Bobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    I know NASCAR hates when the camera pans the grandstands, but there isn't much they can do about it.
    A friend of mine at work said the same thing. He had heard that Nascar asked the networks to focus more on the track and less on the stands. Charlotte
    was always one of Nascars top attendance tracks but this past weekend was pretty weak.

I agree with "The Voice" about escalating costs and dwindling corporate sponsorship. I think most fans saw that coming. Having 100's of employees per
    team is crazy.

I think Ricky Bobby is a better driver than most of the field ;-)

I think the Danica Patrick thing is akin to Tim Tebow in the NFL, Steve Avery in the NHL, or a midget in the NBA. It is a novelty thing. Yesterday, Patrick missed the pit lane and drove through the grass to get to it, while driving too fast for the pits. She then decided she had screwed it up too bad, and simply drove through the pits and didn't stop. She was still accessed a penalty, regardless. It is a joke that they pay her millions of dollars to drive simply because she is some T&A that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    I think the Danica Patrick thing is akin to Tim Tebow in the NFL, Steve Avery in the NHL, or a midget in the NBA. It is a novelty thing. Yesterday, Patrick missed the pit lane and drove through the grass to get to it, while driving too fast for the pits. She then decided she had screwed it up too bad, and simply drove through the pits and didn't stop. She was still accessed a penalty, regardless. It is a joke that they pay her millions of dollars to drive simply because she is some T&A that they want.
    I'm going to give her one more season before I evaluate my opinion on her. I'm sure she looks better in a bikini than Kyle Busch would. :-) As for that pit error she made at Taladega, I've seen others do the same thing with worse results, some even crashing. I'm going to blame that on a communication goof up with the crew. Kyle Petty may be right with his opinion of her not being a "racer" but we'll see if things change for her second season. Her boyfriend Stenhouse has done a few good boo boos also. I do think the caliber of racers has gone down though from the Petty, Wallace, Earnhart Sr. and Allison days. Nascar seemed to sag after Earnharts death.

I couldn't get a clear shot of the stands at this past weekends race to note attendance. Were there many empty seats??
    "Zingy Zingy"

Danica Patrick and Dale Jr are marketing machines nothing less, nothing more.

The big problem is Brian France.

His Father and Grandfather had vision, he is just greedy.

The American Economy has a big effect as well.

And because NASCAR is a fringe sport to begin with it will be the first to suffer in a economic downturn.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    Danica Patrick and Dale Jr are marketing machines nothing less, nothing more.

The big problem is Brian France.

His Father and Grandfather had vision, he is just greedy.

The American Economy has a big effect as well.

And because NASCAR is a fringe sport to begin with it will be the first to suffer in a economic downturn.
    I agree with you on all points. The biggest part of this season for me has been watching Kurt Busch run at the top with the single car team. I can't stand him at all, but he's definitely making things count. For the most part 2013 Nascar Sprint season has been a big yawn fest.
    "Zingy Zingy"

The Freq makes mention of Kyle Petty's opinion of Danica. Notice he has had his seat on air time cut and now makes no reference to his inner most thoughts of a never has been. It will in the future, I believe come to pass that Tony Stewart has been offered incentives to have her drive. No way in hell I can prove it but mark my words.
    Joseph Joubert

I noticed Kyle's time has been cut but the broadcast also has changed. Not sure exactly what but there are subtle changes almost like the broadcasters have
    to follow different guidelines now. I always thought Kyle did a great job but it's apparent his opinion of Danica has done something. As much as I want Danica
    to win and do better, this season for her is exactly what Kyle said of her. Can't discredit him for a pretty much dead on evaluation of her driving.

On a side note.... did anyone watch the truck race from Martinsville??? I swear I've seen bigger crowds at a local flea market. I couldn't believe how
    empty the seats were. Either lower the prices to get people in those seats or watch the truck series die. That's crazy to have that many empty seats
    for a race. I wonder what the drivers think when they look up in the stands.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Ok.. I have to say the Harvick and Dillon smash up at the end of the truck race was pretty hilarious but not as amusing as each of their interviews. Meathead vs punk in a verbal exhibition that was priceless. Not sure who was right or wrong and I don't really care because it was "funnnnnnnny". :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

The whole thing is becoming "funny" as well as smelly. I will until convinced otherwise, believe NASCAR orchestrates things to suit the advertisers to the best of their ability. When the "truck's" came along it was supremely reminiscent of the watering down of the NHL. It would seem now NASCAR does and will continue to "sanitize" what drivers and pit crews are heard to say. The retribution may well be private rather than out there but it will be a deterrent to speaking one's mind.
    Joseph Joubert

The stands in Texas yesterday were absolutely Barren.

Even the main grandstand had large empty Areas.

The secondary grandstands were almost completely empty.

I talked to a couple of people that were at both the Michigan Races this year and the stands weren't full but they said they were almost full and it was a good crowd.

Go figure.

I have to wonder if going back to basics might save them or has it gone too far already? Some store bought auto's w/ safety as needed and the addition of V-8's for nostalgia may be the tonic the doctor ordered. They have virtually nothing in common with their audience any longer. There was a time up until the 70's when they drove the cars into the track fueled and ready to run. Glass, chrome bumpers it was all there. It was what you and I could buy and that was where the 'cool' factor came in to my estimation. I started watching with the first broadcasts and remember the excitement at seeing Dad's Chrysler or it's look alike whipping up dust on the infield.
    Joseph Joubert

Danica Patrick. Whatever, Nuff said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...up-read-111913

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    Danica Patrick. Whatever, Nuff said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...up-read-111913
    I'm still going to give her a chance ;-) . Montoya didn't do very well. It seems the Indy crossover drivers have a hard go of Nascar.
    "Zingy Zingy"

The best part of danica in nascar is that I watch Indy car. It's nice that I can see drivers that can win get some air time for a change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information