Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Essar Steel

Default Re: Essar Steel

Thanks for the link, Sock. The 6 week job in '95 was a re-line, this is obviously a different job. The article states they want to hire Canadians. Locally, there aren't enough old retirees to fill that many positions. It will be interesting to see if they can get anyone to relocate from southern Ontario or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Thanks for the link, Sock. The 6 week job in '95 was a re-line, this is obviously a different job. The article states they want to hire Canadians. Locally, there aren't enough old retirees to fill that many positions. It will be interesting to see if they can get anyone to relocate from southern Ontario or elsewhere.
    http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ls.asp?c=63465

I don't like the sounds of 50 transplanted tradesmen taking all the premium spots away from local boys, but this does sound like a real opportunity for some serious coin, for those motivated to chase it.

I would encourage people to get their names in at Essar, fill out an application, and see what happens. Also, watch for other local firms that will be getting sub-contracts for various aspects of this job, and go after them, as well.

Four years of steady work like this can land a young family nicely on their feet.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

There has to be qualification that need be met and as I understand while not paying attention is there are no locals qualified. Or have I committed yet another faux pas?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Well, we have bricklayers, ironworkers, and labour in the area. As well as millwrights, fitters, electricians, instrumentation techs. Don't see the need to go all the way to China, for the vast majority of the trades involved.

Seems to me like they are looking to China, to save money on labour costs. The only problem with that, is that the money made, will head straight back to China with the tradesmen. Some of it will spill over into the local economy, but I always thought it was our government's job to make Canadians a priority, for work in Canada.

Times are a changing!
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

I was just going by Shaggy's post # 21 and possibly took more from it than was intended.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Hmmmm, I wonder if one of the qualifications will be that you have to be fluent in Mandarin?

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Well, we have bricklayers, ironworkers, and labour in the area. As well as millwrights, fitters, electricians, instrumentation techs. Don't see the need to go all the way to China, for the vast majority of the trades involved.

Seems to me like they are looking to China, to save money on labour costs. The only problem with that, is that the money made, will head straight back to China with the tradesmen. Some of it will spill over into the local economy, but I always thought it was our government's job to make Canadians a priority, for work in Canada.

Times are a changing!
    I can't really speak for the other trades, but I will say there is a shortage of Industrial Electricians and Instrument Techs in the Sault. Essar has been recruiting for some time, and they still are. The only ones hired lately were the guys Tenaris trained who left due to changes in the schedule, and more than a few others have quit to go elsewhere. The outside contractor workforce consists of mostly retired Essar workers who, for whatever reason, have re-entered the workforce. G1 certified gas fitters are also very hard to come by. There is a "special" certification that Essar workers can get to do the work, but it is not valid outside of their employment at Essar. I would guess Tenaris has a similar agreement with TSSA, but that does not help outside companies hiring.

My point is that due to a lack of planning and training through apprenticeships, employers have caused this labour shortage. Before even they even consider allowing foreign workers, the government should insist these companies provide proof that they are taking steps to correct the problem by providing enough training opportunities (apprenticeships) to Canadians.

If you are suggesting workers from US Steel could fill these positions, the mills in the article have already been shut down three years. US Steel just made it official that they will not be re-opening. Any tradesmen that were working there are either long gone by now or unwilling to leave Hamilton.

“The permanent shutdown affects the iron and steel-making operations, which have been on temporary idle since late 2010.”
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...king-1.2287483

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information