Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 107

Thread: Remembering the Old Soo

  1. #1
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Remembering the Old Soo

    A few posts by Soonet members got me hooked on some of the Soo's historical past, so I'm starting a thread just to show some things about our city that are long gone.

    When I was a kid, there use to be a giant fort built in the Soo Locks area called "Fort Washkihagen" (I have no clue on the spelling!). It was a tourist attraction but didn't last that many years. Possibly 3 years maybe? It was later taken down and the wood from it was apparently used to build the Hiawatha ski lodge. Correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, there was an older lodge there that I believed burnt down. I actually have photos of it and will post later if I can find them.

    Where the Station Mall sits now, use to be a railyard and I use to play there as a kid but there was also a fish market right across from Jiffy Car Wash, which is all in the same area. I don't recall the name of it. In later years a train caboose stood their for tourists.

    Post more if you have some history to share. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

  2. #2
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    So far you are spot on. Back in said rail yard were large tanks storing gasoline and they were purchased by the then new guy in town SUNOCO. Way down just past the corner of East and Bay on the right was Shell Canada and in the corner hard by the Ontario bush plane and fire fighting people, was the large tank farm owned by District Services. They were purveyors of gas, diesel and on the same site they sold coal, massive amounts and in the back,...dynamite. This was bought out by British American (BA) who disposed of the coal and dynamite, and then Gulf Canada was there until they sold to Petro Canada. Down there as well was the old curling rink that stood where the apt. town thingy now stands. It (the curling rink) burnt down in around 62. Imperial Oil was at the little slip in between the Hospitals, great safety right?
    Back then we dumped our salt and sand laden snow from streets and parking lots on the river ice and waved bye bye every spring.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    So far you are spot on. Back in said rail yard were large tanks storing gasoline and they were purchased by the then new guy in town SUNOCO. Way down just past the corner of East and Bay on the right was Shell Canada and in the corner hard by the Ontario bush plane and fire fighting people, was the large tank farm owned by District Services. They were purveyors of gas, diesel and on the same site they sold coal, massive amounts and in the back,...dynamite. This was bought out by British American (BA) who disposed of the coal and dynamite, and then Gulf Canada was there until they sold to Petro Canada. Down there as well was the old curling rink that stood where the apt. town thingy now stands. It (the curling rink) burnt down in around 62. Imperial Oil was at the little slip in between the Hospitals, great safety right?
    Back then we dumped our salt and sand laden snow from streets and parking lots on the river ice and waved bye bye every spring.
    I remember the big oil tanks at East and Bay. I actually had a paper route for Bay street starting at Elgin all the way to Thomas street near the Bush Plane Museum. Ironically, almost every single house on my paper route is gone now.. ;-) The land the old oil tanks were on must be contaminated because nothing has been developed on it.

    Imperial Oil between the hospitals is a new one for me and the curling rink too. Awesome.. I love learning this stuff. :-)

    When I had my paper route, I remember Beaver Lumber being where the Lottery building is now and there was a major fire. I'm going to guess 70's. It was a huge fire.
    "Zingy Zingy"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Correct on the fire and there was a huge old Vaudeville House down that way as well. There was another Vaudeville House that is now an apartment building across from the bus terminal on Queen. It was also used as a movie theatre back in the day.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  5. #5
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Correct on the fire and there was a huge old Vaudeville House down that way as well. There was another Vaudeville House that is now an apartment building across from the bus terminal on Queen. It was also used as a movie theatre back in the day.

    The grey building next to the ice cream joint? That must have been quite a while ago. Vaudeville aka 1930's? I was born in the 60's so I only remember it as an apartment building. I remember Dinos Pizza a few doors down from that. I miss their pizza. :-(
    "Zingy Zingy"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    That is the one and yes, circa 1930's or around there.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  7. #7
    IMHO
    Guest

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Who recalls THE COMMERCIAL CAFE and THE RITZ. Squeezed between them was ROYAL CAB...where the old Woolco building is downtown. The ADANAC restaurant was on Bay as well as RIVERSIDE CHRYSLER.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Along with Krezic motors, the Rambler dealer and Gatz(sp) Ford adjacent to the bus terminal on Queen. In my time Royal East End Cab was across the back ally behind the Algonquin Hotel.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  9. #9
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Who recalls THE COMMERCIAL CAFE and THE RITZ. Squeezed between them was ROYAL CAB...where the old Woolco building is downtown. The ADANAC restaurant was on Bay as well as RIVERSIDE CHRYSLER.
    I don't remember The Commercial Café or the Ritz.. I do remember the alley way being next to Woolco a bar being there, one my dad use to help support. ;-). Wasn't the Adanac on Queen in the old Loblaws building? Greyhound was there also. Whereabouts on Bay street was Riverside Chrysler? That's a cool one I never knew.
    "Zingy Zingy"

  10. #10
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Along with Krezic motors, the Rambler dealer and Gatz(sp) Ford adjacent to the bus terminal on Queen. In my time Royal East End Cab was across the back ally behind the Algonquin Hotel.
    My uncle bought a Rambler from them. I believe it was a Rebel Rambler. :-) I remember "Welcome Motors" but not sure if it was on Bruce Street where the License joint is now.
    "Zingy Zingy"

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Welcome was there but first it was Danz-Muncaster. Teddy Dinsdale worked as salesman there for years. Ramblers were a desirable car if for no other reason than the seats fully reclined.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  12. #12
    IMHO
    Guest

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Riverside was where the back of the old wooolco building now stands

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ladywolf 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Welcome was there but first it was Danz-Muncaster. Teddy Dinsdale worked as salesman there for years. Ramblers were a desirable car if for no other reason than the seats fully reclined.
    Only you would recall that part of that historical car, Anapeg! LOL.
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

  14. #14
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Riverside was where the back of the old wooolco building now stands
    wow.. before my time. If that's where Riverside was, what was on the Queen street of the old Woolco building? :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

  15. #15
    Senior Member The Freq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Below the Surface :-)
    Posts
    252

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    I also heard there was a stock car track up where the curling rink is on Anita Blvd off Northern Ave. Any truth to that?
    "Zingy Zingy"

  16. #16
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    The track was closer to the main drag there over toward Oryme Ave.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  17. #17
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,629

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    The old orphanage was were the "new" Legion is now.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  18. #18
    IMHO
    Guest

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Quote Originally Posted by The Freq View Post
    wow.. before my time. If that's where Riverside was, what was on the Queen street of the old Woolco building? :-)
    I THINK IT WAS JUST A VACANT LOT NEXT TO bell...which was on the sw corner of queen and bruce

  19. #19
    Senior Member 8th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,918

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Last edited by 8th; 11-06-2013 at 03:38 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    909

    Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

    Kennedy"s taped speech at the Bridge dedication ceremonies.

    http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-View...A-184-005.aspx

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts