Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the Old Soo

Default Re: Remembering the Old Soo

It was Olympia Billiards on Queen, by Mary's Lunch. Damn, I miss Mary's.

Is it my imagination? Seems to me there was a monkey in a cage at the front wall by the cashiers at Kmart...would have been very late 60s, early 70s? I think it was really there, but I was so young it could have been imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by b&aMom View Post

Is it my imagination? Seems to me there was a monkey in a cage at the front wall by the cashiers at Kmart...would have been very late 60s, early 70s? I think it was really there, but I was so young it could have been imagination.
    K-Mart used to have a very extensive pet section. I can remember monkeys and all sorts of lizards for sale there.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Quote Originally Posted by The Handyman View Post
    K-Mart used to have a very extensive pet section. I can remember monkeys and all sorts of lizards for sale there.
    The pet section was in the north-east corner of the store.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

There was a monkey in the cage at Greenwoods on East. His name was Chester. I know it was a "he" because I used to look at his "parts" when I was little. lol
    Last edited by gouligann; 11-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    I ate at Sandie's for the soul purpose of seeing the little girl with lots of make up who worked there, um ummmmm good!
    I was banned from putters for trying a drive on the last hole and had everyone in the building running for cover.
    Only dated one girl from the east end so saw little of Barsanti's restaurant.
    Was not there an Orpium that also was known as the Orpium Biltmore theatre?
    I was not allowed into either the Collegiate nor the Dunn as I was from Tech and wore "jeans".
    Peter was the dancing server and he worked damn near every watering hole in town. Great man.
    As for the dances, I did not then dance but rather went for the socializing and brawling. Hey, we all found enjoyment in our own ways.
    The washing of vehicles AFTER the pep rally's was a party in and of itself.
    We ran Queen, Bay, Queen, Albert Queen, Airport for drags and back to park in the Gardens lot out of gas and tires.
    For dances we went to Thessalon and all points in between, loved those pretty country girls. 56 Ford, four guys, 4 mickies, half tank of high test with six moth balls thrown in with the four barrels hooked up and the two dollar entrance fee and we were OFF!
    Remember the barns and was in them with my Dad a few times and not a clue as to why. Had nothing to do with horses or feed but whatever.
    The trampoline place was called Jumpin' Jiminies, and the go carts either started out or ended up with some Avery's just past the gully on the west section of Fourth Line past the cemetery.
    552 WAS the main highway with transports and all North bound traffic. BUT! The highway stopped just past Montreal River back then. It was continued on to Wawa in the late 50's as I remember.
    If one goes back to the old ferry landing by our city hall they will notice a large rock on the right when headed south. That rock was in the back yard of R and J Wood who lived and had a little tourist trap their. Duke, their bloodhound, sat for hours on the rock to people watch hence the rock was known as Dukie's Rock.
    You got caught! I think everyone hit the ball a little hard on the last hole at Putters so they could make it go BANG on the side of the red barn. Good thing for that wire cage or that window would have been toast many times.

Jumpin Jiminies eh? and I remember when they moved the go carts to Forth Line

I don't remember Duke. You must be older than me LOL

Yes, there was a monkey in a cage at K-mart. It was a mean little thing. Can't really blame it since it was in a cage. When I saw it, the monkey was in the pet section which at the time would have been on the right after entering the main doors.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Between joketique & Muios was a pool hall (forget name...olympia maybe ??) & there was one on gore street as well

BTW...it was Orpheum Theater

Alsao...joketique had a little stint on east street, behind muios, for a bit.
    My friends and I hung out at the Joketique all the time. It started off in a small place across from where Mrs B's is now. At the time, the back building to Joketique was a business called Modern Music which dealt with Jukeboxes, pinball machines and other arcade games. My brother worked there so it was a blast because he'd let me play all the games for free. Joketique then moved to Queen where Lop Lops is now. I still have some of the old magic tricks and gag toys from that place. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

the owner of modern music sold me my rene pierre foosball table. he has a warehouse in bayview. he ebays parts for old video games and such. the company had quite a chunk of busness back in the day. they supplied pinball, video games, pool tables to all of the bars reasurants and hotels throughout northern ontario. guess what the biggest money maker for them was????? i was very suprised to find out that by far, cigaret machines were the biggest earners. that guy is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to old school arcade games. and a very nice person

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    the owner of modern music sold me my rene pierre foosball table. he has a warehouse in bayview. he ebays parts for old video games and such. the company had quite a chunk of busness back in the day. they supplied pinball, video games, pool tables to all of the bars reasurants and hotels throughout northern ontario. guess what the biggest money maker for them was????? i was very suprised to find out that by far, cigaret machines were the biggest earners. that guy is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to old school arcade games. and a very nice person
    My brother was a tech for Modern Music for years and I remember him driving all over the place to service machines. I still remember some of those cool old machines that weren't "video" related but actual games with lots of moving parts. Some are worth a fortune today I'm sure. I'm sure the owner of Modern Music would make a fortune restoring these machines for collectors around the world. Ever watch American Restorations? He restores these old arcade games and there's a ton of money to be made from them. Boy, those were the days playing those games. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

Stumbled upon this today and thought I would pass it on.

http://archive.org/stream/fosterssau...tuoft_djvu.txt

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    Stumbled upon this today and thought I would pass it on.

http://archive.org/stream/fosterssau...tuoft_djvu.txt
    If you want to see the above in a photocopied format click the red bar at the top of the page.

What was:
    1. Sandy's?
    2. The Red Barn?
    3. Jupiter?

Sandy's was a drive in restaurant for burgers and fries. The Red barn was a sit down restaurant where North 82 is to-day. That particular building has housed a couple of different restaurant chains in it's life time. Jupiter was a 5 and dime on Queen one of the last if memory serves. These (5 and dimes) were the precursors of the likes of K-Mart and such. K-Mart was by extension an off shoot of the S.S. Kresge stores.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Sandy's was a drive in restaurant for burgers and fries. The Red barn was a sit down restaurant where North 82 is to-day. That particular building has housed a couple of different restaurant chains in it's life time. Jupiter was a 5 and dime on Queen one of the last if memory serves. These (5 and dimes) were the precursors of the likes of K-Mart and such. K-Mart was by extension an off shoot of the S.S. Kresge stores.
    My brother use to take me to Sandy's all the time. It was located on or near the Ramada Inn site (or whatever it's called these days). I remember Ponderosa Steak House being where North 82 is now. And Jupiter, across from the Windsor Park and down a bit. I think it was a Kresges (sorry on the spelling). They had a restaurant in there that had some yummy burgers.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Red Barn must have been before my time.

Sandy's...Mom used to take us there for dinner after my brother's guitar lessons. Roll down the window for that tray!

Jupiter...creaky hardwood floors, lunch counter, lots of goodies in need of when I was living downtown.

I miss lunch counters.

Red Barn must have been before my time.

Sandy's...Mom used to take us there for dinner after my brother's guitar lessons. Roll down the window for that tray!

Jupiter...creaky hardwood floors, lunch counter, lots of goodies in need of when I was living downtown.

I miss lunch counters.
    I miss lunch counters too! I use to eat at the one in the old Walkers store next to the post office, where I use to shine shoes. Lots of judges and lawyers ate there so I made good coin as a kid. :-) Walkers fries were awesome.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by The Freq View Post
    I miss lunch counters too! I use to eat at the one in the old Walkers store next to the post office, where I use to shine shoes. Lots of judges and lawyers ate there so I made good coin as a kid. :-) Walkers fries were awesome.
    Remember when that store was Timothy Eaton's?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Imperial Oil between the hospitals is a new one for me and the curling rink too. Awesome.. I love learning this stuff. :-)

When I was working at the Royal Bank onQueen. I used to curl at the Curling rink. But when I was 3 years old I went to hockey games to see my uncle play hockey. Earlier that curling rink was called "The arena rink" where many good hockey games were played. My uncle was 18 yrs old and played for the Soo Greyhounds.

The old orphanage was were the "new" Legion is now.
    Actually it was a residential school for female natives

If women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Cool Re: Remembering the Old Soo

Do any of you folks know the significance of the tree island on the extreme west end of Wallace Terrace?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information