Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Flood or Storm Damage?

Default Any Flood or Storm Damage?

I'm in the east end and although my yard is somewhat flooded, my power is still on and my basement is dry as a bone. Wind is really strong at the moment and I just checked to see if my car tent has gone into orbit but so far, it's still anchored to the ground. I also cleaned debris out of the street drains near my house to keep the water flowing. Time 1:30am.

I took a drive down Black road a half hour ago and it's a mess. The soccer field looks like a lake.

How is everyone else doing?
    "Zingy Zingy"

Default Re: Any Flood or Storm Damage?

I'm off of Peoples' Rd. If it's not nailed down, it's blowing. Overhead wires are swinging hard. Cable has gone out and back on a couple of times tonight. (Only momentarily) Funny though, I had a chipmunk in my carport tonight. He kept running under my car. I think "his" place got flooded.
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

I can't wait for snow

We're a little north of town, had no power from shortly after 1:00 am till 5:30ish? Water on the roads, ditches full to overflowing. Next door had a large portion of a big ole pine tree snap off in their front yard.
    We survived with out issue, but pictures are coming in from the Searchmont area and wow there is a LOT of water there - and no power!
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Our family hardly noticed in the down town core. Well other than a break from the robbing, pillaging and murders that is.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

our backyard is flooded, the power was off 4 hours, water started seeping in the basement so spent 4 hours bailing out the sump pump to keep the water damage down, and to top it off our tree fell into the neighbours yard, the good part was he didn't get upset about it,

Found my bbq......it fell over and rolled (I'm guessing) across the yard. Found my missing bird feeders scattered across the yard....so much for my son's bird watching project this week anyway. Our ditches are finally starting to recede a bit.....I'm paranoid when they get high, worried about a child falling in and getting carried away. Lets hope we don't see anymore of that kind of weather again anytime soon!
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Quote Originally Posted by shy1 View Post
    our backyard is flooded, the power was off 4 hours, water started seeping in the basement so spent 4 hours bailing out the sump pump to keep the water damage down, and to top it off our tree fell into the neighbours yard, the good part was he didn't get upset about it,
    I hope you didn't have a built up basement. :-( I heard a lot of people had their sump pumps burn out because they were running steady.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by MaO3 View Post
    We're a little north of town, had no power from shortly after 1:00 am till 5:30ish? Water on the roads, ditches full to overflowing. Next door had a large portion of a big ole pine tree snap off in their front yard.
    We survived with out issue, but pictures are coming in from the Searchmont area and wow there is a LOT of water there - and no power!
    I heard it was bad in Searchmont too. Haven't seen any photos yet but a few that work with me said Trout Lake had some bad areas also.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by The Freq View Post
    I hope you didn't have a built up basement. :-( I heard a lot of people had their sump pumps burn out because they were running steady.
    our sump pump is still running, we use to go through one a year until we had the sump pump hole made bigger, its a good thing water only seems to seep in in the half of the basement we haven't redone, we are now thinking about buying a pump to get rid of the water in the yard,

Quote Originally Posted by shy1 View Post
    our sump pump is still running, we use to go through one a year until we had the sump pump hole made bigger, its a good thing water only seems to seep in in the half of the basement we haven't redone, we are now thinking about buying a pump to get rid of the water in the yard,
    My neighbour across from me has a pump going for his yard. His yard is really low and in heavy rain always fills up but the pump the other night was going steady. Never heard of that before, and now you're the second one to mention it. My neighbour needs to get more land fill in his yard to correct his problem.
    "Zingy Zingy"

Every year, new subdivisions and houses are built in the Sault. New roads are paved, new parking lots created.

Every time a home or business is built, the pipes are connected to existing infrastructure. Every time a road is paved, or a parking lot created, the water flowing from them during weather events must go to the existing drainage system.

Given the events of the last couple of years, has anyone contemplated that we have gone over our existing capacity here in the Sault?

So, has the weather changed in a significant way, or have we just connected one too many pipes to the same drains?

Regardless of which answer is true, the City better start looking at improving flow capacity.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

I have some pictures of the Searchmont and Ranger Lake Road flooding and washouts but can't remember how to add them to this site.. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...82076288_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...20007228_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...56624921_n.jpg
    Last edited by MaO3; 11-20-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

basement was somewhat flooded, front yard was gone (full of water).....
    Its always FUN to do the IMPOSSIBLE

The neighbours tree came down at 2:00 am and ripped out the power line from the side of my house including the mast. Water entered the basement the first time in 20 years of owning the house. Power restored 9 pm the next day. Hats off to S&T for super swift repair, just PUC took along time due to the amount of issues. Overall was happy with the service of all involved. I could have kissed the PUC guys when they finally showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by MaO3 View Post
    I have some pictures of the Searchmont and Ranger Lake Road flooding and washouts but can't remember how to add them to this site.. LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...82076288_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...20007228_n.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...56624921_n.jpg
    Wow.. that's crazy! You easily float a boat in the ditch. Thanks for the photos. :-) Someone on Sootoday posted photos of Government road behind Echo Bay the first flood we had this summer and that shocking especially when you only see
    the top part of a street sign, surrounded by water.
    "Zingy Zingy"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information