Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I caught this squirrel.....

Default So I caught this squirrel.....

I had problems with squirrels getting into my attic so I set a live trap and caught one. I don't know what to do with it. I was thinking of taking it to Hiawatha and letting it go there but would it survive in a strange area without hidden food?

Default Re: So I caught this squirrel.....

I recall you having this problem before. How did that work out?

"Squirrels have to be transported at least a few miles (five is considered safe) away, or they may find their way back home. One problem with relocating is that if the squirrel is relocated to an already populated area, the newcomer may create a disruption. The disruption could cause the relocated squirrel to be driven out of the area by more aggressive squirrels or be the cause of existing squirrels being driven out. This can result in either one being homeless and without adequate food source. Some squirrels have been known to be traumatized to the point of death during transportation. If squirrels are removed from an area, it usually creates a vacuum that is filled eventually by more squirrels."

Close the entry point in your attic and release to your yard, I would hope.

fill a garbage can with water................................

It's an unfortunate time of year for a squirrel to land himself in a live trap.

A humane and quick end to his plight, would likely be the most merciful course of action.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Pail of water - they can only hold their breath for about 30 sec.

How nasty some of you are for suggesting to drown him. It is a life you are saying to just extinguish without a thought. Do you have no respect for life other than your own?

Release him somewhere in the bush. At least he'll have a chance of life, rather than killing him for no reason other than it is being a little squatter in your attic trying to survive.

How nasty some of you are for suggesting to drown him. It is a life you are saying to just extinguish without a thought. Do you have no respect for life other than your own?

Release him somewhere in the bush. At least he'll have a chance of life, rather than killing him for no reason other than it is being a little squatter in your attic trying to survive.

For the record, my observation did not include any description of drowning.

It's a tragic thing, but a squirrel displaced at the onset of winter has virtually no chance of surviving until spring. Letting him go somewhere else would just mean a long, ugly death through starvation. It might make you feel better that you took no part in his eventual demise, but the truly merciful thing would be to stop his suffering, before it inevitably begins.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Well you could always do the kind and sweet thing....build the little guy a house and provide him with food for the winter. Or, drop him in the bush in a cardboard box with lots of seeds and hope he finds somewhere to build his own place and stores the seed there. (open the box!!!)
    If all else fails, you could give him to someone who thinks your other options are just too cruel.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of drowning them, but would be open to using a .22. (That would be the farmer in me who has the little buggers also living in her roof and can't wait to get them out)
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

So after considering all the responses, and not wanting to repeat last years mistake, I released it in my yard with a good supply of food. I am hoping that he will not go into the attic. I can't determine how they are getting in there.

Not a bad plan.... trap him again in the spring, then take him for a little drive.... guilt-free!

catch a couple more and... http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information