Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cycling In Snow

Default Cycling In Snow

Yes, I'm one of those nuts that rides my mountain bike year round. True, it's a challenge but for years, I used studded tires which work great for most applications, but not all. An inventor in British Columbia designed one cool piece of hardware to add to any existing 26" bike so you can peddle your way through the winter. It's been around for a few years and retails for about 400 bucks. I just found a distributor out of Quebec and may take the plunge and buy one. The system is called "Ktrak" and it's actually a back wheel system and a front ski although you can use it without a ski and keep the original front wheel on. The back Ktrak system simply attaches in place of your stock back wheel. V-brakes and Disc brakes from your existing bike work fine. Check out this video. Ktrak is now huge in Germany and other countries with snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WmRoqmtLoc
    "Zingy Zingy"

Default Re: Cycling In Snow

Glad to know that I can at least attach a name to a cyclist, that I get stuck behind in the winter, while I am trying to drive around in a snow storm !
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf 1 View Post
    Glad to know that I can at least attach a name to a cyclist, that I get stuck behind in the winter, while I am trying to drive around in a snow storm !

You shouldn't be driving in a snow storm.. It's dangerous. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by Ladywolf 1 View Post
    Freq's easy to recognize. He is the only cyclist with a canoe strapped to his back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

Quote Originally Posted by theShadow View Post
    Freq's easy to recognize. He is the only cyclist with a canoe strapped to his back.

What for traction or so that he can turn it right side up and toboggan down hills quicker ?
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

I wonder what kind of Carbon footprint snow bikers make when they hold countless cars idling at who knows how many intersections?

How does their Green Cowboy Heroism really stack up? When really they just slow down traffic in winter conditions, and cause cars and 4X4 Trucks to sit and Idle at intersections while they slow the flow of traffic.

and what ever you do.....don't use the bike path we all dropped big tax dollars on. drive down the center of a car lane. every day on carmen's way with out fail...lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    I wonder what kind of Carbon footprint snow bikers make when they hold countless cars idling at who knows how many intersections?

How does their Green Cowboy Heroism really stack up? When really they just slow down traffic in winter conditions, and cause cars and 4X4 Trucks to sit and Idle at intersections while they slow the flow of traffic.
    Honestly.. it depends on the rider. I've been cycling in the winter most of my life with studded tires on my bike. I ride only a bit slower than I do in the summer. True some shouldn't be crawling on a bike if they can't adjust to the winter weather. I never found it a problem nor have I caused others problems because where I ride, traffic is sparse. On the flip side, some motorists need to slow down in winter conditions as they don't handle cars well in the snow. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    and what ever you do.....don't use the bike path we all dropped big tax dollars on. drive down the center of a car lane. every day on carmen's way with out fail...lol
    Carmens Way isn't safe for cars let alone bikes. I'll stick to the trail. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

Quote Originally Posted by theShadow View Post

Only in the summer. In the winter... a toboggan is strapped on. :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

i get a kick out of it. you can see the drivers getting upset. i don't trust drivers (myself included). i ride the bike trail or if not i ride on sidewalks and yield to pedestrians. i ask the same of my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    i get a kick out of it. you can see the drivers getting upset. i don't trust drivers (myself included). i ride the bike trail or if not i ride on sidewalks and yield to pedestrians. i ask the same of my kids.
    Yes.. I see some upset drivers (when not on their phones) but more so with those electric scooters, and yes, I've seen a few riding around in the winter including 2 riders on one bike. Now in the snow, that's a serious amount of "crazy". :-)
    "Zingy Zingy"

i know, there are alot of people that don't like the e-bikes. i have stated on soo net before that i love those things and i do know of 3 people that have dissablilities that prevent them from driving autos. e-bikes have given them a ton of freedom. i hope the insurance companies keep their greedy claws away from them and the rest of us have a little more tolerance. not everyone can aford insurance or qualify to drive a car.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information