Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Breed?

Default What Breed?

We will soon be moving East to a lovely old farm, the house sits in the middle of a large field, the field is surrounded by bush land which the current owner says is full of wildlife..Deer, Bears, Fox and Wolfs so Iím thinking of getting a large guard dog that will hopeful keep the wildlife away from the yard area, Any suggestions as to what breed would be suitable ?

Default Re: What Breed?

Maybe a Border Collie

Wouldn't a border collie just herd all the wildlife up for you? LOL.

I really don't think that breed will matter too terribly much. What matters is size and the dogs loyality and protectiveness.

As long as the dog is vocal enough to make a bit of noise when there is something around that shouldn't be, or that he/she doesn't think it should at least. I think that is the most important thing. If the dog is loyal and protective of you it will do what is needed.

I'm partial to my golden but thats just me. He's fiercly loyal and protective and can make enough noise to scare off most anything, all the while being the biggest BABY in the world. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Burnese Mountain Dog!
    My Harry is half that and half Collie and what an amazing mix. He stands guard for the coyotes and lets us know when they are around and makes sure to behave like he means business. He stays close by my side, is dedicated and very friendly, except with coyotes and strangers. He's never been aggressive to people.
    We looked up the Burnese Mountain Dog and found it to be a wonderful breed for family and farm.

But remember that coyotes don't frighten easily and they will actually gang up on any dog and kill it.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

I like Bernese Maountain dogs too, but I've also heard a good dog for things like that is an Akbash. They were originally from Turkey and were used to protect herds of livestock from preditors. Whatever kind of dog you get just remember every dog needs training. Good luck and let us know what you get in the long run.

How about a large dog from the Humane Society. Bet you could find one there to do the job. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

german shepherds are nice

an akbash would be ok too, but they need to be kept occupied or they tend to become aggressive

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information