Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Problem with Bon Soo is...

Default The Problem with Bon Soo is...

I don't know why the Bon Soo and OLG - the main sponsor should team up and create a lottery scratch ticket for Bon Soo that not only promotes the carnival but also helps funds it. Maybe this way they can attract some big name entertainment and draw people in. The ticket could be a limited run say from October to February - maybe the top prize is $100,000 or something...Bon Soo needs money to operate and put on a worthwhile carnival - without cash, we're left with what we have.

IMHO

Default Re: The Problem with Bon Soo is...

Bon Soo seems to have "worn off" to a certain degree. I hear very little about it. I cannot even tell you when it starts. Perhaps it needs to be re-visited in terms of what and if people still want it?

I ask this question because I don't know; Does their organizing committee need some new blood and fresh ideas?
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

IMHO

Kdawg....I think any group would be open to new blood.

I had fond memories of Bon Soo when I was a kid. Back then, everything was held at the John Rhodes. The skating oval, sculptures, midway, dog sled races, etc... you could spend all day there and not get bored. Oh, and all you needed back then was a button to pretty much do anything the carnival offered. Now, its become a joke. Not only do they want you to buy a button, but they make you pay to do almost anything apart from opening ceremonies.

Then they stopped getting the guys from down south to make the sculptures for the fantasy kingdom. It was all downhill from there. That proved that they didnt want to spend the money to make it successful. Now its just a joke and the people running it make bad decisions. For example, last year they had tethered hot air baloon rides. A friend of mine wanted to take her kids, but guess when it was going on? On a weekday afternoon, when kids are in school and people are working. How stupid can someone be? So yeah, its just a joke now.

Both: Bon Soo and Community Day, are both disgraceful. Their concern is only to make money at their events. It use to encompass the entire community and now, the middle and upper class go. The poor or working poor can't afford it. Their is no Community Pride! The rides and games are expensive. The food outlets have outrageous prices, We need to revamp both events, and keep in mind the economy at the time. I remember when Algoma Steel had their Labour Day Celebrations at Barr Lake, hotdogs, corn on the cob, ice cream cones were all free.
    Every organization now, just wants to make a buck. It is sad
    We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey

Moving everything back downtown was a BIG mistake. They claim it is to rejuvenate the carnival and increase attendance but it just gives me less reason to want to go. The best part of Bon Soo for the kids was taking the tractor ride to the bum slides and then being able to go on a hay ride through bellevue park, snow mobile rides through the park etc... Now the only thing to look at will be the road that the bum slides face and the joy of trying to find a parking space at the mall in order to go. You can bet that Delta will block their parking lot to keep out non-customers, just like they do at Rotary. Not much to look forward to and not worth 4, $7 buttons either.
    “Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task.”
    Haim Ginott

Buttons this year are $7?

Funny, don't seem to be able to find that little nugget on their official website!

You would think it would be a primary thing to list, along with locations where you can get them!

http://www.bonsoo.on.ca/home

Lots of info about $100 a plate gourmet meals, and $40 a pop for a night of wine and cheese, though!

Sounds like it has basically turned into a corporate elite feel-good session.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

IMHO

Bring back Ms Feminique contest...how many remember that one?

Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Bring back Ms Feminique contest...how many remember that one?
    I remember what garbage the Bon Soo Beauty pageant winner went through!!!
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    I remember what garbage the Bon Soo Beauty pageant winner went through!!!
    Were you a contestant in the pageant?
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

What can the organizers offer me that I cannot get for free and/or enjoy doing on my own? Bum slide- quicker with more participation on Finn Hill. Helicopter rides- get a group and rent one exclusively, cheaper and more fun with longer ride. Sleigh rides- Farmer Bob with nicer scenery. On and on it goes. They need to inject some life a reason to go and spend freely.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    Were you a contestant in the pageant?
    Why, yes!! But my legs were better then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    Why, yes!! But my legs were better then!!!
    Never give up on your dream....lol
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

The problem with Bon Soo is that he is overweight, he steals his fashion sense from Santa Clause, his cheeks are still rosy in the summer during the parade and he always has a pom pom in one of his eyes. Seriously is he that lazy that he won't swing it out of his eyes?
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    The problem with Bon Soo is that he is overweight, he steals his fashion sense from Santa Clause, his cheeks are still rosy in the summer during the parade and he always has a pom pom in one of his eyes. Seriously is he that lazy that he won't swing it out of his eyes?
    You also forgot his initials!!!

Well, it looks like someone went all out, and bought the big $100 pack of fireworks from Walmart.

You can almost hear the booms!
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

IMHO

What were you expecting?

To be underwhelmed, and in that regard, I was not disappointed!

well time to get banned from this board......most of you wouldnt be happy if someone gave you money,try to get out and enjoy yourselves instead of just whining on this board,someone should hit you with a board,try to be happy and not so negative all the time, buy a friggin button,go watch some events....... some of you are so pathetic,as for Craig stick to rescuing animals maybe one of them will bite you.They did a great job with the money they had with fireworks,the money they raise this year will help fund next year.If you dont like winter ........MOVE.The trouble with this town is there are too many people like you whiny people......enjoy what we have to offer or get out............
    Last edited by Barry Morris; 02-08-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: circumventing anti-profanity filter

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information