Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Privilege:

Default Privilege:

This could generate some interesting conversation, I scored 34/100 which was surprising for me considering I am a cis-gendered white guy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-privileged-are-you
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Default Re: Privilege:

Curious to see what others think of their results.
    Obviously not scientific.
    - Mark Twain

39/100, some questions are ambiguous and cause you to sit and contemplate a bit.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

60/100 I knew I'd have a fairly good score. A few stumbles along the way, but life is good.

39/100 for me.
    SPRING-SUMMER-FALL-YEAH !

47/100 for me. Somehow thought a white heterosexual male was a shoe-in for a high grade, but I guess that isn't automatic after all.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

I wonder how many women agree they are less privileged than a man simply because they aren't a man.

I wonder why someone who has used prescription drugs recreationally is more privileged than I am.

I wonder why taking a job as a waiter or bartender makes one less privileged.

I wonder why not graduating high school is equally weighted with graduating high school but taking on a student loan.

Whoever created this has some strange ideas about what privilege means.

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post

I wonder how many women agree they are less privileged than a man simply because they aren't a man.

I wonder why someone who has used prescription drugs recreationally is more privileged than I am.

I wonder why not graduating high school is equally weighted with graduating high school but taking on a student loan.

There are some ambiguities and pointed questions which are 'pointed' at nothing it would seem. I had thought I might score so very much higher being as I "feel" somewhat privileged but I was proven wrong. I did find some questions as well that I may answer somewhat different depending on the day, ie; if I were feeling moody or not or if I was feeling particularly hard done by on a certain day. Rather subjective but as DQ pointed out not terribly scientific. More of how you view yourself I suspect.
    Joseph Joubert

From the questions involved, I think some professional people assembled this, people somewhat disconnected from the average Joe's life.

One that bugged me was lumping bartender in with other low paying, poorer jobs. A good bartender will NEVER be without work. In fact, my nephew literally travelled right around the world doing just that. Never had a problem finding work in a the next city.
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

As with the reference to being called names due to preferring those of the same sex. This was popular as Hell when I was a child and seldom a day passed without some reference to homosexuality for performing some social faux pas. While on the subject, is everyone aware of the proper meaning of the word fag got, hyponated due to censor? A ****** in it's literal sense not it's slang means a stick or more properly a bundle of sticks. So, where in hell did todays connotation come from?
    Joseph Joubert

Well..I am apparently not perfect. who knew. I just pasted the response.

You live with 35 out of 100 points of privilege.

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

51...whatever that means

Some of these I can take a stab at answering, not to say I am for sure right or wrong, so you know, a grain of salt.

> I wonder how many women agree they are less privileged than a man simply because they aren't a man?
    probably most of them. It is difficult to see the world as a woman simply for being a man, we do live in a male dominated society made for men. It is important to note that insofar as my research and understanding of privilege goes, privilege in and of itself is not good, nor bad. It is just something that is, it is recognition and understanding of said privilege that is important.

> I wonder why someone who has used prescription drugs recreationally is more privileged than I am.
    This is a curious one to me as well and I am inclined to wonder the same.

> I wonder why taking a job as a waiter or bartender makes one less privileged.
    I would say that it is a matter of necessity, these are typically seen as underpaid jobs making one live below the poverty line and designed for adults to work. Though they could have said just "minimum wage job to live" or something like that. It could also be a reference to the type of treatment one is typically subjected to while working one of these kinds of jobs.

> I wonder why not graduating high school is equally weighted with graduating high school but taking on a student loan.
    How did you find these to be weighed equally? does one cancel the other out? If you found this out by trial and error, you are a very persistent man and I take my hat off to you.
    I have no answer for this.

> Whoever created this has some strange ideas about what privilege means.
    Like I said, not scientific, and I am sure is likely open to error, but I wonder, what do you see privilege as meaning?
    I am not trying to start an argument. I would like to discuss, since "privilege" is apparently quite subjective as I was surprised by my score in this so I am willing to accept I do not understand the concept as much as I thought I did.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    From the questions involved, I think some professional people assembled this, people somewhat disconnected from the average Joe's life.

One that bugged me was lumping bartender in with other low paying, poorer jobs. A good bartender will NEVER be without work. In fact, my nephew literally traveled right around the world doing just that. Never had a problem finding work in a the next city.
    I too question the bartender idea as I mentioned earlier, but it may have less to do with the actual money, and more with treatment. I do know that privilege is not always about money. I think what this exercise is supposed to show is that the "average Joe" is less privileged than we think and that privilege comes in many different variations and is quite intersectional in each individual.
    - Mark Twain

I would see privilege as being monetary, or perhaps a better situation or something as mundane as seating at a restaurant or theatre. It can come in many forms, anything giving one precedence over another. It is as DQ alludes to, extremely subjective. Something such as allowing me to do the survey for another would severely skew the numbers. Something as pedestrian as being capable of standing to pee could be seen as privilege I would think.
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    > I wonder why not graduating high school is equally weighted with graduating high school but taking on a student loan.
    How did you find these to be weighed equally? does one cancel the other out?
    There are 100 questions. Every check mark is one point of privilege.

So if a person gets a point for graduating high school but doesn't get a point for not having a student loan they have the same points as the one who doesn't get a point for graduating but does get a point for no student loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    I would see privilege as being monetary, or perhaps a better situation or something as mundane as seating at a restaurant or theatre. It can come in many forms, anything giving one precedence over another. It is as DQ alludes to, extremely subjective. Something such as allowing me to do the survey for another would severely skew the numbers. Something as pedestrian as being capable of standing to pee could be seen as privilege I would think.
    For sure money plays a HUGE role in determining privilege in our society, that is because we live in a highly consumerist society as well. "He who has the most toys" and all that. But other aspects determine our ability to attain that money, and I think many small aspects added up is really what privilege is about.
    - Mark Twain

There are 100 questions. Every check mark is one point of privilege.

So if a person gets a point for graduating high school but doesn't get a point for not having a student they have the same points as the one who doesn't get a point for graduating but does get a point for no student loan.
    aha! a flaw in the survey thingy.
    Thanks for that feedback, I never considered that.
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information