Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Give me a History Lesson :P

Default Give me a History Lesson :P

I need pretty much a history briefing on shopping in Sault Ste. Marie. I know the Station Mall was built in 1973, the Cambrian Mall opened in 1984, but I'm clueless as to when the Market Mall, Churchill Plaza and, most importantly, the Wellington Square Mall was built/opened...

Reason for asking is because I'm a huge history person and I just want to know about the history of retail shopping in SSM.

Default Re: Give me a History Lesson :P

Quote Originally Posted by MFK View Post
    I need pretty much a history briefing on shopping in Sault Ste. Marie. I know the Station Mall was built in 1973, the Cambrian Mall opened in 1984, but I'm clueless as to when the Market Mall, Churchill Plaza and, most importantly, the Wellington Square Mall was built/opened...

Reason for asking is because I'm a huge history person and I just want to know about the history of retail shopping in SSM.
    Someone older than I can help you more, but I know both Churchill Plaza and Market Mall existed when I was a young child, late 60s, very early 70s. Wellington Square, I believe, was built after Cambrian Mall, in the late 80s.

Based on building style (plaza vs. mall), I would think the plaza pre-dated the mall. Plaza would likely be from late 50s, or early 60s. When trying to figure these things out, it's sometimes helpful to look at the age of the homes or neighbourhoods around them.

I think the Market Mall opened in the mid 60's and the Churchill plaza was at about the same time...maybe a few years earlier

I can recall them being built but was young enough to not take notice. I do recall as an adult the huge fountain in the centre of the Market Mall, noisy as it was. It was far worse than the smaller one that existed in the Large Mall in the East end. I was a participant in the construction of the Cambrian Mall. I can remember the Sentry store on the west and Canadian Tide on the far east and grass and rubble in between. The carnival set up there for a couple of years after being banished from the Gardens parking lots when the Empire Hotel and the Bell Canada building on the corner of Queen and Bruce were constructed taking away that vacant lot the fair occupied as well.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information