Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: Creation of life

  1. #41
    Senior Member Aristotle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,616

    Default Re: Creation of life

    PBS is wrong, too


    Three of the world's major religions -- the monotheist traditions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam -- were all born in the Middle East and are all inextricably linked to one another. Christianity was born from within the Jewish tradition, and Islam developed from both Christianity and Judaism.

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/globalconnec...pagewanted=all
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

  2. #42
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Creation of life

    I think you and I are talking about 2 different things.
    When I said Muslims do not believe in the trinity, I was referring to the Holy Trinity, not the 3 major religions.

    The Holy trinity is the belief that God exists in the communion of three distinct persons.
    Muslims believe God exists as One absolute oneness, thus ruling out the possibility of another being sharing His sovereignty or nature.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  3. #43
    Senior Member Aristotle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,616

    Default Re: Creation of life

    and...what?
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

  4. #44
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Was that a question, or an observation?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I think you and I are talking about 2 different things.
    When I said Muslims do not believe in the trinity, I was referring to the Holy Trinity, not the 3 major religions.

    The Holy trinity is the belief that God exists in the communion of three distinct persons.
    Muslims believe God exists as One absolute oneness, thus ruling out the possibility of another being sharing His sovereignty or nature.
    You used two different terms. Christians believe God exists as three persons in One being, thus using the (poor IMO) terminology Trinity. Exactly how this is possible is beyond human understanding.
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  6. #46
    Senior Member Aristotle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,616

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Was that a question, or an observation?
    Both
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

  7. #47
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    You used two different terms. Christians believe God exists as three persons in One being, thus using the (poor IMO) terminology Trinity. Exactly how this is possible is beyond human understanding.
    Yes, and Muslims believe that God exists as One. So no Trinity.
    So who is wrong, Christians, Muslims or both?
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Yes, and Muslims believe that God exists as One. So no Trinity.
    So who is wrong, Christians, Muslims or both?
    "Exactly how this is possible is beyond human understanding."

    Buddy, if this is your excuse for not believing in God, it's pretty silly!!!
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  9. #49
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,067

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    "Exactly how this is possible is beyond human understanding."

    Buddy, if this is your excuse for not believing in God, it's pretty silly!!!
    Isn't the very premise of God "beyond human understanding"?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Isn't the very premise of God "beyond human understanding"?
    I don't think so. Besides, simple logic tells us that creation had a source.
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  11. #51
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,067

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    I don't think so. Besides, simple logic tells us that creation had a source.
    Does "simple logic" really apply when you are talking about things that are not logical in nature?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Does "simple logic" really apply when you are talking about things that are not logical in nature?
    If man has logic or intelligence at all, where do you suppose it came from??

    We are not dogs, living only in a moment, run by instinct. No other creature can even conceive of the possibility of a source for the universe.

    Edit to add, you said "in nature" again. God created nature. Nature IS logical!!!!
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  13. #53
    Senior Member dancingqueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    20,067

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Berean View Post
    If man has logic or intelligence at all, where do you suppose it came from??

    We are not dogs, living only in a moment, run by instinct. No other creature can even conceive of the possibility of a source for the universe.

    Edit to add, you said "in nature" again. God created nature. Nature IS logical!!!!
    Your thoughts are disconnected. I cannot begin to respond appropriately. I will try my best..:

    If man has logic or intelligence at all, where do you suppose it came from??
    Evolution, Which may or may not have come from an almighty being such as "God" That is not to say God is limited by the same rules of logic though.

    We are not dogs, living only in a moment, run by instinct. No other creature can even conceive of the possibility of a source for the universe.
    We don't really know that, nor presently can we. But that is a discussion of another topic, What does that have to do with this topic?

    you said "in nature" again. God created nature. Nature IS logical!!!!
    I did say nature again. I can use the word you know... If I create play-doh, does that make me play-doh?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Nature is logical because it came from the same source that gave Man intelligence.

    Animals don't think about God, because they were not created to. We were.

    You say mans intelligence came from evolution. How?? And why only man??
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    8,833

    Default Re: Creation of life

    "Animals don't think about God, because they were not created to. We were."

    I honestly don't think we know that, for sure.

    Maybe dogs have a better understanding of God than we do. Just because we don't speak their language, doesn't mean we can make such sweeping assumptions.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    "Animals don't think about God, because they were not created to. We were."

    I honestly don't think we know that, for sure.

    Maybe dogs have a better understanding of God than we do. Just because we don't speak their language, doesn't mean we can make such sweeping assumptions.
    Strrreeeccccchhhh!!!!

    Go ask your dog. Don't come back without an answer.
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    8,833

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Observational evidence:

    Who follows the Ten Commandments better?

    a) the average dog.
    or b) the average human?
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

  18. #58
    Senior Member Aristotle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,616

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Observational evidence:

    Who follows the Ten Commandments better?

    a) the average dog.
    or b) the average human?
    Absurd question.

    Dogs do not have a conscience or soul, thus the Ten Commandments have no relevance to them.
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    8,833

    Default Re: Creation of life

    God created the animals. God created man.

    And by the way, dogs do have a conscience. Whether or not they really have a soul, well.... that's also a relevant question for humans, now isn't it?
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Creation of life

    Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Observational evidence:

    Who follows the Ten Commandments better?

    a) the average dog.
    or b) the average human?
    In the context of the questions here, the first commandment gets blown away completely.

    And as Aristotle says, they are irrelevant.. Especially considering that.
    My apologies if defending seems defensive!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts