Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Better rotors

Default Better rotors

What is better: original, cross drilled, slotted, or cross drilled + slotted?
    All with ceramic pads.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Default Re: Better rotors

Either original equipment or a quality name brand, like Raybestos. Don't cheap out on rotors.

As to cross drilled, slotted, or cross drilled + slotted, I doubt there's much difference in normal street driving.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Cross drilled and slotted aren't great for street driving here. You get stuff packed in the slots and holes, especially in the winter, and then they chew the crap out of the pads. Get a good set that has the anti rust protective coating on them and you'll be good to go for a long time.

LOTS of garages in town just use a good set of pads and an econo/mid line rotor and usually get great results.
    Last edited by _daynzy; 06-22-2014 at 07:42 AM.

One anecdote. Had a cab come into the shop, with a grinding noise. I said, sounds like brake pads, and the guy said no, and showed me the bill, from a large consumer store THREE WEEKS PREVIOUS. This car ran 24/7, so I wasn't too surprised. I said, let me do it my way, and we'll check.

Turned the rotors to a mirror finish, and put on best quality pads, and asked him to bring it back.

This time, same 24/7 running, they lasted three months.

That's the difference between cheapest and best.

I was looking at dba rotors. My original rotors are not that bad, but they are slightly warped in the front from heat.
    That's why I was thinking of changing them to rotors that can more evenly cool down, to prevent warping.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I was looking at dba rotors. My original rotors are not that bad, but they are slightly warped in the front from heat.
    That's why I was thinking of changing them to rotors that can more evenly cool down, to prevent warping.
    Regular rotors won't warp from the heat of everyday driving, unless (most commonly) wheels are over torqued, and/or if they are cheap, ie Chinese. I like Raybestos, thicker webs.

I NEVER just bang the wheels on with an air wrench, and I always take the torque wrench to final tighten them.

FYI, Race cars can get red hot rotors with the pucks on fire, yet they will still work!!!

Just because they're name brand, doesn't mean they're not made in China.

I was thinking about getting these, they seem to get fair reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-K11...1&s=automotive

Good point, daynz.

But let's hope they're made to a higher spec.

Or does Raybestos have different grades??

Raybestos has 3 grades I think; all made in China. Service Grade, Professional Grade, and x300 (something like that).

Hans, unless you've done performance modifications OEM would be the best option in my opinion.
    Last edited by _daynzy; 06-23-2014 at 11:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information