Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Those Gosh-Darn Hanging Flower Pots

Default Those Gosh-Darn Hanging Flower Pots

Last year I first noticed them. On McNabb Street between the South Market extension and Black Road. Look at the street poles. On almost every single pole, there are two hanging flower pots. I asked around, and from what I hear, each flower pot, or bucket, or whatever you call those gosh-darn things, costs about $10. So $20 a pole. And I'd make an educated guess that there's between ten and fifteen poles on that stretch of road. Hundreds of dollars on flowers.

And that's not the only place. Downtown has hanging flowers too. I don't know if it's the City that purchases them or the Downtown Association, but if it's the City, am I the only person that has a problem with them hanging flowers and maintaining Hub Trails and over-sanding the roads and, gosh, the list of wasteful spending is just so long. Of course, I'm known to make big deals out of silly little things, but the silly little things add up, and from what I see in the budgets, the City of SSM is recording huge debts.

I say drop the flowers. They're useless. Beautifying the City in 2012 was acceptable, that was the City's 100th year of existence, but now, this is just so ridiculous. It takes money to buy the flowers. Then for crews to hang up the flowers. And then if it doesn't rain, the crews go and water the flowers. It's not on their dime. It's on the people's dime.

Default Re: Those Gosh-Darn Hanging Flower Pots

No matter what happens, someone always gripes about something the city does or doesn't do.

Wow! I like that the city tries to beautify! The hub trails are great! We love walking them when we go to the city!
    The less you respond to rude, critical, argumentative people, the more peaceful your life will become. ~ Mandy Hale

What would you suggest the city spend the money on instead?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    What would you suggest the city spend the money on instead?
    Perhaps a screening plant so they could screen and reuse some of the sand they pay top dollar for every fall instead of paying to dump it as waste?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

I first have to ask if this thread is for real? If so I'm totally confused about the concern for hanging flowers or maintaining city areas.
    On one hand people complain about how nasty our downtown area(among many areas) is and how unwelcoming it is so they don't want to bother going there, and on the other hand we have someone complaining about making our city look better. We also depend on tourism so we have to invest in making our city(especially first impressions on entering the Sault) as welcoming as we can to encourage those tourists to come, enjoy and spend their vacation money here.
    Our hub trail is used by a very large number of people locally and is a recreation area of sorts that visitors can enjoy during their time here. It only makes sense to maintain and improve areas so that people feel welcome there. Those costs add up but are the necessary evil to invest in our city.

It may be akin to someone maintaining their home area....why bother spending gas money in the mower or planting those flowers out front of the house?....People do it because they want their homes to look nice and they are proud of what is theirs.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Perhaps a screening plant so they could screen and reuse some of the sand they pay top dollar for every fall instead of paying to dump it as waste?
    I'm sure there's a local with a screening plant that could easily handle the job at a lower cost than re-purchasing. How much lower, I don't know.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

I thought I heard those flowers on McNabb were paid for by Vic Fremlin? Am I incorrect?
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I'm wondering the same thing. Chances are if they match the dairy then they're supplied by him. That area looks nice enough that I've even stopped for an ice cream.....and I personally don't care for the man.
    The area is appealing and has nice character.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

I don't like him either, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he did in fact pay for them. The area is really nice.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    I'm sure there's a local with a screening plant that could easily handle the job at a lower cost than re-purchasing. How much lower, I don't know.
    Amortized over the operational life it would be financially sound to purchase I would think. I have never had reason to study on it. It could also be used to pile the winters supply thereby taking less real estate on Sackville.
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Amortized over the operational life it would be financially sound to purchase I would think. I have never had reason to study on it. It could also be used to pile the winters supply thereby taking less real estate on Sackville.
    Do we currently have a (city owned) dry building for storage?
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

Quote Originally Posted by riggs View Post
    Do we currently have a (city owned) dry building for storage?
    As far as I know, no. Last load I dumped there was in the early nineties though. They, the PUC and a few others just heap it outside and deal with it.
    Joseph Joubert

The city grows their own plants, FYI...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information