Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cpr should be mandatory for all 7-12 students

Default Cpr should be mandatory for all 7-12 students

I strongly believe that CPR training should be mandatory for all students between grades 7-12. People tell me that they receive this training in gym class only. Not every student takes gym class. I think that homeroom teachers should teach students CPR and other life-saving techniques every year. It's not a waste of tax dollars to buy CPR dummies for every school and have students train once a year. Forcing schools to teach the students these techniques can save countless lives, and to be honest I don't see ANY reason that anybody can be opposed to the idea...

Default Re: Cpr should be mandatory for all 7-12 students

I oppose this. Make gym mandatory. Ta-daaaa
    I am now posting under the name loquetas. Please forward all pm's to that account.

Quote Originally Posted by MFK View Post
    I strongly believe that CPR training should be mandatory for all students between grades 7-12. People tell me that they receive this training in gym class only. Not every student takes gym class. I think that homeroom teachers should teach students CPR and other life-saving techniques every year. It's not a waste of tax dollars to buy CPR dummies for every school and have students train once a year. Forcing schools to teach the students these techniques can save countless lives, and to be honest I don't see ANY reason that anybody can be opposed to the idea...
    They would only need a dozen or so training manikins for this idea. It would be more economical for the schools to rotate their training dates.

But I do agree with you. It would be an excellent idea.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

I thought grade 9 gym was a mandatory class?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Grade 9 gym class IS mandatory. But when I was in that class, CPR training was not part of the curriculum. Who knows, maybe since 2012 (the year I graduated) the board made CPR training mandatory for gym class. But even then, like I said, that really is not enough. EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT GOES TO SCHOOL BETWEEN GRADES 7-12 SHOULD BE FORCED TO TAKE CPR TRAINING. Countless lives will be saved.

i agree 100%. i've had it along with refresher courses over the years and it would be a very positive and confidance building thing to have. not to mention the most important thing....LIFE SAVING. the one thing that people don't realize is the physical strain on the person perforing it for extended periods....3 or 4 people trained at an emergency helps the person in need immensley.

http://www.saultonline.com/2014/11/m...mpt-cpr-study/

Another study that further validates what I wrote in August. Article link below.

http://www.saultonline.com/2014/08/c...-for-students/

The fact is, the only reason that CPR training is not mandatory for students is because our friends in the Government, including the School Board trustees, care more about the budget than they do about the lives that can be saved if this proposal becomes policy. Every student should learn how to save a life. Too few people care enough to volunteer to take the class. The class should be brought to the students in schools.

What I am proposing will not be cheap. I admit that teaching every student in the Algoma District School Board these life-saving techniques will cost thousands of dollars. The board would have to pay for dummies for students to train with. The paper and the ink to print papers with instructions. The instructors to teach the students. Tax dollars will be spent and I do know that taxpayers want the government to save money, not spent it.

I'm just asking folks: Do you agree or disagree with the idea of spending your tax dollars on programs that will teach students to save lives?

I hope that in the near future the Ministry of Education, or our School Boards, at the very least, make training part of the curriculum. If the school bureaucrats choose NOT to make this training part of the curriculum, we'll just have to propose a board-wide referendum or elect a School Board trustee that supports implementing a CPR training program.

It would make more fiscal sense to pay for any high schooler wanting CPR training. Matt, you are still young enough to know you do NOT make any high school age person do something they do not want to do or they will screw it up.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

High school teachers (for the mosty part) are not trained to teach CPR. Unqualified people would not be doing the training. To bring in Red Cross trainers would be pretty expensive. This is why it doesn't happen. Also, Anapeg is right .... kids won't do it for the right reasons, .... not a good idea.

Awesome then I could sue the school board for wrongful death instead of the individual person

I know St. John's Ambulance also does the training, but they are even more expensive.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information