Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kids Know Best

Banned

Default Re: Kids Know Best

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    You are rude. No doubt about that.

It's the children I feel sorry for. They are sent to school at this young age because parents feel it's the correct thing to do. I personally feel some of these kids are too young. It seems everyone wants children to grow up so quickly these days. When I sent my children to school, I expected the adults in the school to be responsible for them. Today there are lunch monitors who are paid to monitor these little people. I expect them to be walking around paying attention. What the heck are they getting paid for? Open the thermos for the child. Help with the juice box. Encourage them to eat the sandwich. These children are young enough to listen and obey the teachers and monitors. If the monitor told a child that they should eat their sandwich first, the child probably would. I feel sorry for the children.
    Well since nobody is willing to talk to the teacher, you have no idea what the lunch time situation is. Maybe the whole new to school thing makes him/her not want to eat. Maybe they are ignoring kids. Who knows? I know not wanting to be the complaining parent and doing nothing is not the way to go. I know correspondence through an agenda is not the best communication for this situation is. I'm sorry if you want to bring this topic hear, prepare to hear things you may not want to. If you're looking for cheerleaders, im telling you this isn't the place. I will not blindly accept every story people share on here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    I suppose you're right. If my kid can't open his thermos all by himself, he shouldn't go to school.
    Or, or, or , or find a packaging method that better suits them.

As an educational assistant, I can vouch for the fact that though we aren't babysitters we are definitely caregivers. Part of our job is to ensure that children are cared for - needs are met period. I would think that food (lunch) is a major component of "care". Now, maybe I am biased because I work in a life skills classroom where the needs of my kiddos are quite moderate to severe. Or, maybe I am biased because I am a mom who raised her kids with certain expectations while believing that it is also okay to place expectations on the teachers/educational assistants/monitors. Or, again, maybe I am biased because I also ran a private day home for seven years - with the expectation that children sit, eat, and learn.
    I have had many arguments with teachers over the years. My standpoint is: if it is in his lunch it is expected that he will eat it. I prefer growing foods first - but since most foods in the lunch are growing foods with maybe one sweet treat (bear paw, granola bar, homemade muffin, or cookies) I am really not too particular on what gets eaten when. A child cannot learn when hungry, so any food is better than no food.
    So, do kids know best? No. Do they need guidance? Absolutely. My expectation for kindergarten - especially in the first month of kindergarten? Simple. Guide my child.
    "wow, you have bear paws today? Lucky! What else do you have? Oh grapes and yogurt! Wow! Okay, eat up!" It isn't difficult. And if you are in a position where you are paid to be doing this? Well, kind of stands to reason that it will be done.
    Let's remember that these children are three and four years old. Not seven, eight, or nine. So a nudge here and a prod the ... "Do you think you can manage two more bites?" Or "apples or carrots today?"
    My recommendation to Daiv - call the teacher. Be clear about your expectations. Be polite. Be positive. But be demanding. It is your right. Your child needs to eat. Not negotiable.
    Also, equip your child with the skills needed to tackle lunch time. Have a weekend trial run and see what he can or cannot manage - if he cannot open wrappers, put his items in ziploc bags. If he can't open a thermos, ensure he knows who to ask for help, and how. Show him all the compartments of his back pack and lunch kit. See the trouble areas and fix them. And then, yes, blame society. Because if the school (and the individuals in the school hired for the purpose of ensuring lunch time success) cannot accomplish this task - society is failing your child.
    I am and educational assistant. I have written notes home because child A refused to eat item B from his lunch and we are worried that he might be too hungry without an alternative. Parents are more than happy to either send a alternative or tell us to stuff ourselves and leave the kid to his own devices.
    We too often want to remind people that teachers aren't babysitters. I agree. But - and this is a very big and flashing but - if my child is in a class where the teacher doesn't CARE enough to make sure his heart, body, and mind are nurtured, that person should not be teaching.

Excellent response.

Thanks for risking the 'herd' to get your thoughts out here!
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    These children are young enough to listen and obey the teachers and monitors. If the monitor told a child that they should eat their sandwich first, the child probably would. I feel sorry for the children.
    I too feel sorry for the children. Damn those teachers that tell the kids to eat their sandwiches.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bouvs View Post
    As an educational assistant, I can vouch for the fact that though we aren't babysitters we are definitely caregivers. Part of our job is to ensure that children are cared for - needs are met period. I would think that food (lunch) is a major component of "care". Now, maybe I am biased because I work in a life skills classroom where the needs of my kiddos are quite moderate to severe. Or, maybe I am biased because I am a mom who raised her kids with certain expectations while believing that it is also okay to place expectations on the teachers/educational assistants/monitors. Or, again, maybe I am biased because I also ran a private day home for seven years - with the expectation that children sit, eat, and learn.
    I have had many arguments with teachers over the years. My standpoint is: if it is in his lunch it is expected that he will eat it. I prefer growing foods first - but since most foods in the lunch are growing foods with maybe one sweet treat (bear paw, granola bar, homemade muffin, or cookies) I am really not too particular on what gets eaten when. A child cannot learn when hungry, so any food is better than no food.
    So, do kids know best? No. Do they need guidance? Absolutely. My expectation for kindergarten - especially in the first month of kindergarten? Simple. Guide my child.
    "wow, you have bear paws today? Lucky! What else do you have? Oh grapes and yogurt! Wow! Okay, eat up!" It isn't difficult. And if you are in a position where you are paid to be doing this? Well, kind of stands to reason that it will be done.
    Let's remember that these children are three and four years old. Not seven, eight, or nine. So a nudge here and a prod the ... "Do you think you can manage two more bites?" Or "apples or carrots today?"
    My recommendation to Daiv - call the teacher. Be clear about your expectations. Be polite. Be positive. But be demanding. It is your right. Your child needs to eat. Not negotiable.
    Also, equip your child with the skills needed to tackle lunch time. Have a weekend trial run and see what he can or cannot manage - if he cannot open wrappers, put his items in ziploc bags. If he can't open a thermos, ensure he knows who to ask for help, and how. Show him all the compartments of his back pack and lunch kit. See the trouble areas and fix them. And then, yes, blame society. Because if the school (and the individuals in the school hired for the purpose of ensuring lunch time success) cannot accomplish this task - society is failing your child.
    I am and educational assistant. I have written notes home because child A refused to eat item B from his lunch and we are worried that he might be too hungry without an alternative. Parents are more than happy to either send a alternative or tell us to stuff ourselves and leave the kid to his own devices.
    We too often want to remind people that teachers aren't babysitters. I agree. But - and this is a very big and flashing but - if my child is in a class where the teacher doesn't CARE enough to make sure his heart, body, and mind are nurtured, that person should not be teaching.
    What a pile of crap. If you're an educational assistant, then educate... forget being a "caregiver." No wonder our education system graduates so many morons.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by bouvs View Post
    My kid does know the compartments of his lunch bag, but I think he forgets to look because he will say (when asked why he didn't eat his sandwich) 'I didn't know I had one' even though I told him that morning. He CAN open his thermos, but maybe it was too tight that day and he didn't have the strength.

I don't expect them to force feed my child. I expect them to encourage him to eat and make sure he is ABLE to eat what is there for him.
    You leave me no choice, I swish my cape at you. - El Chupacabra

Kdawg. If I don't care, how do I educate?

Daiv - call his teacher. Explain you are worried that he is eating so little. It is legitimate.

P.S. Thank goodness three and four is such a long way off from graduation. Moron.

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    No wonder our education system graduates so many morons.
    Quote of the Year!

Honest to god you don't even have to be able to read to get your grade 12. ?????????
    When you have no knowledge you have no argument.

I'm curious Daiv does your child already read?
    When you have no knowledge you have no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    What a pile of crap. If you're an educational assistant, then educate... forget being a "caregiver." No wonder our education system graduates so many morons.
    Took the words right out of my mouth...

there is a difference between giving care and coddling them. Sure, you can see if little Suzy doesn't want to try her carrots, they are really good and... uh oh, Tommy and Michael are fighting again....
    ... now, as I was saying, those carrots look - Jimmy stop throwing that truck around, your gonna hurt someone- really good. After those carrots let me help you open your- Tina recess is in 15 minutes, you have to wait- thermos and you can have some.....
    You get the idea, there are 2 lunch monitors and 20 some kids. Monitors are not educated, nor trained in anything and like most of us only have two hands. It's not just your child in this classroom. Maybe teach them to ask for help when they need it.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

The level of animosity leveled at 4 year-olds here is astonishing. I know teenagers who can't cook anything past Kraft Dinner, and some of you are actually begrudging a parent who wants school staff to encourage little wee kids to eat their lunch, or notify the parents if they aren't eating?

Really?

Are some of you revisiting bitter memories from your early days?
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    The level of animosity leveled at 4 year-olds here is astonishing. I know teenagers who can't cook anything past Kraft Dinner, and some of you are actually begrudging a parent who wants school staff to encourage little wee kids to eat their lunch, or notify the parents if they aren't eating?

Really?

Are some of you revisiting bitter memories from your early days?
    I see no animosity directed to 4 year olds. If they want to eat, they will eat, if they can't eat they will ask for help.
    The amount of bubble wrap we put kids in is frightening
    - Mark Twain

So, you're putting the responsibility for eating on the shoulders of a 4 year old?

Really?

Banned

No animosity towards kids. The problem is not talking to the teacher because you don't want to be that parent that complains. Quote unquote.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    So, you're putting the responsibility for eating on the shoulders of a 4 year old?

Really?
    Yes, along with other important factors like breathing, blinking eyes and swallowing on their own.
    - Mark Twain

I wonder how many hours it takes to starve a four year old?

Wait. If it is lunch time, why are children playing with trucks? If they are eating at the lunch table, how are they fighting?

Interesting....

I thought lunch time was LUNCH TIME not play time. My bad.

You know what .... Let's blame society. Taking our four year olds and shoving them into universal daycare ... Oh crap, it's called kindergarten now, sorry! Anyway, let's shove them in there and then complain about the lack of resources (aka proper lunch monitors). Or, better yet, let's get these kids cooking their own lunches so no one has to even worry about it. Or better yet, let them starve because honestly it isn't really your problem. Teachers aren't caregivers. Throw the book at them! Hell yeah!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information