Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Kids Know Best

Default Re: Kids Know Best

So.
    I never said that my kid's entire lunch came home, but apparently that is what I meant.
    Lynys, I hope that when your kid starts school next year, everything is perfect for .. her? I think you said daughter and don't feel like going back to find out. I hope she has no issues and doesn't need any assistance. My kid ate fine at home, too. Obviously when they are in a group, they are going to want to play, which is why I thought the adults would try to make sure they ARE eating during the designated eating time.

I did go to the school, by the way. There are two adults plus three student volunteers from the higher grades. I asked if they ask the kids if they need help. I got the answer, 'Well we're trying to teach them independence.' I suggested that maybe at the beginning of kindergarten when the kids are new, perhaps they could ask kids if they need help and slowly pull back on the help throughout the year. They also open all the lunch boxes and look to see what is there, so obviously when my kid said he didn't know he had a sandwich, he is just dumb or something.

I mentioned the agenda. I was told that they like communicating via the agenda and if there are any concerns, they would like me to write them in there. Hm. Fancy that. They asked me to use their communication tool that they provided to communicate. What a weird concept.
    You leave me no choice, I swish my cape at you. - El Chupacabra

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    So.
    I never said that my kid's entire lunch came home, but apparently that is what I meant.
    Lynys, I hope that when your kid starts school next year, everything is perfect for .. her? I think you said daughter and don't feel like going back to find out. I hope she has no issues and doesn't need any assistance. My kid ate fine at home, too. Obviously when they are in a group, they are going to want to play, which is why I thought the adults would try to make sure they ARE eating during the designated eating time.

I did go to the school, by the way. There are two adults plus three student volunteers from the higher grades. I asked if they ask the kids if they need help. I got the answer, 'Well we're trying to teach them independence.' I suggested that maybe at the beginning of kindergarten when the kids are new, perhaps they could ask kids if they need help and slowly pull back on the help throughout the year. They also open all the lunch boxes and look to see what is there, so obviously when my kid said he didn't know he had a sandwich, he is just dumb or something.

I mentioned the agenda. I was told that they like communicating via the agenda and if there are any concerns, they would like me to write them in there. Hm. Fancy that. They asked me to use their communication tool that they provided to communicate. What a weird concept.
    I am happy to know that you went ahead and went to the school to discuss this. With this perspective there is opportunity for opinions to change. I would agree that Kindergarten is not an appropriate time to be teaching "independence" added that is a crap-poor excuse to just not do anything (independent meaning not being dependent off of others, then why are you there?) and would tend to agree with your perspective that that is not right. I would consider bringing this to the attention of the teacher so that he/she can address it. If things don't improve from there, I would talk to the principal.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

They also open all the lunch boxes and look to see what is there, so obviously when my kid said he didn't know he had a sandwich, he is just dumb or something.
    Maybe telling your kid there is a sandwich in the bag might also help, .... duh, .... just a stupid suggestion, I know.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Banned

The agenda is there for communication between the school and the parents. That's the point of it. It said so right in the note that came home with the agenda. I was hoping to resolve it without having to go to the school. I was hoping that maybe via some simple communication things would be resolved. I was hoping that I could avoid any confrontation because I really am not comfortable with it and don't want to be the parent who complains and makes a bad name for her kid.
    You need not say any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nash View Post
    Maybe telling your kid there is a sandwich in the bag might also help, .... duh, .... just a stupid suggestion, I know.
    Here's a suggestion. Read the thread.

My kid does know the compartments of his lunch bag, but I think he forgets to look because he will say (when asked why he didn't eat his sandwich) 'I didn't know I had one' even though I told him that morning. He CAN open his thermos, but maybe it was too tight that day and he didn't have the strength.

I don't expect them to force feed my child. I expect them to encourage him to eat and make sure he is ABLE to eat what is there for him.
    If you would have read the thread, you would not have had to make your stupid suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    Here's a suggestion. Read the thread.

If you would have read the thread, you would not have had to make your stupid suggestion!
    Mmmmm, ... my bad. See, I can admit when I make a mistake.

Read the entire thread?, .... people rarely read an entire 6+ page thread when responding, that is why things like this happen. My suggestion was not "stupid", as you like to say, in the context of practical had she not stated the sandwich was there, .... just another opportunity for you to slur me. Have at 'er pal, if it makes your day.

It was you who said your suggestion was stupid. Not I!

Mmmmm, ... my bad. See, I can admit when I make a mistake.

Read the entire thread?, .... people rarely read an entire 6+ page thread when responding, that is why things like this happen. My suggestion was not "stupid", as you like to say, in the context of practical had she not stated the sandwich was there, .... just another opportunity for you to slur me. Have at 'er pal, if it makes your day.
    Read into it as you please. You brought up the word stupid as per previous post! Pal? With a pal like you, who needs enemies?

Read into it as you please. You brought up the word stupid as per previous post! Pal? With a pal like you, who needs enemies?
    Maybe we can have a beer together someday, and you might have different ideas, ...

Maybe we can have a beer together someday, and you might have different ideas, ...
    Not on your life. I Have no desire to have a beer with what I perceive to be an Internet bully!

Not on your life. I Have no desire to have a beer with what I perceive to be an Internet bully!
    ... and I ask again, ... who is angry and doesn't want to bury the hatchet? Obviously isn't me. Offer is always extended, .... Have a good Day, .... go Packers.

... and I ask again, ... who is angry and doesn't want to bury the hatchet? Obviously isn't me. Offer is always extended, .... Have a good Day, .... go Packers.
    No anger at all. I believe the word to be cautious. Forgiving is easier than forgetting. I would never drink beer with a leopard for a leopard does not change his spots.

Banned

ROAR!!!! Sorry about the Packers. Go Lions!!!

For the record I didn't see this until now and did not just wait to see if the Lions would win.

Overheard this yesterday at the school... From a kindergarten teacher
    "Why are you crying? Is it broken? Are you bleeding? Are you barfing? Those are the only reasons we cry."
    And not in a silly half joking tone.

"Why are you crying? Is it broken? Are you bleeding? Are you barfing? Those are the only reasons we cry."
    Lets hope he/she goes into real estate, or insurance.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

They aren't learning the three Rs yet. Just the three Bs. So if a child get bullied they can't cry! If a child is extremely thirsty, they can't cry. If a child has a headache, having a bad day, or got embarrassed, they can't cry? I know there are reasons not to cry. But to tell a kid THAT! That teacher does not sound like she should be teaching four year olds. This teacher cannot be a mother and if she is I feel sorry for her children!
    The less you respond to rude, critical, argumentative people, the more peaceful your life will become. ~ Mandy Hale

Was this a boy child or a girl child? Maybe they are teaching little boys, early, that big boys don't cry. Something I don't agree with.

Was this a boy child or a girl child? Maybe they are teaching little boys, early, that big boys don't cry. Something I don't agree with.
    I'm not sure. I didn't see which one was crying.

Ok so I didn't read the entire thread. At first I was a little concerned that my son was coming home with a good portion of his lunch. I also know that if he is hungry he will eat. I do invite parents to be more active. Go to your sons school, do a drop in visit just to see what is going on. Join the parent council. My sons school is close to 700 students. A note went home asking parents to volunteer for pizza day out of 700 students 7 parents showed up. Now there are a lot of parents that want to put the blame of everything that doesn't go the way they think it should go. If you don't like something be an active participant in your childs learning in whatever way possible.

After attending a council meeting I learned that my sons school has a healthy eating program where teachers go to the gym and pick up a tray of food for their class first thing in the morning. Each student is given, various healthy snacks, yogurt tube/fruit/graham crackers. what else I'm not sure. However having that and then their two nutrition breaks plus the breakfast he eats before he leaves for school, yeah he may not eat all his lunch. I'm not overly worried.
    MagicFingers

Quote Originally Posted by bouvs View Post
    I wish I could meet the children of the members on this board.they must be perfect citizens, never needing help or extra love.
    My child does not go to school to get extra love and any parent who thinks that they should be getting extra love in school needs to keep their children home. my son just started JK and I am so happy that he has a teacher that truly loves her job and cares for the children. There is one teacher and one EA in the classroom, on nutrition break there is 1 aid. I do not expect my child to receive love at school but I do expect the teacher to act respectfully and with integrity where my child is concern. But if i think he is going to school to receive extra love I would be mistaken. A teacher is there to teach not just academics but also social boundaries etc and this is done through play when the occasion arises, sometimes letting the child also deal with natural consequences. a child too busy playing and not wanting to eat will surely learn to eat when expected if they go hungry once or twice. Natural consequences! Again as stated before you have an issue with your child eating drop by during nutrition break talk to the worker in the classroom. I did it last week and now i volunteer on pizza days so I will be there every thursday, the staff also encourage the volunteers to stay after all the pizza is handed out and visit during lunch with your child and eat with them. Take an active role and your child will then get and feel the extra love from the person they are supposed to their PARENT
    MagicFingers

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information