Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kids Know Best

Default Re: Kids Know Best

Quote Originally Posted by official soonet pu$$ycat View Post
    If it's a problem call the school. You seem to have no idea what the situation is. Don't write it in his agenda because that's pure laziness. If you have a problem do something about it.

The agenda is there for communication between the school and the parents. That's the point of it. It said so right in the note that came home with the agenda. I was hoping to resolve it without having to go to the school. I was hoping that maybe via some simple communication things would be resolved. I was hoping that I could avoid any confrontation because I really am not comfortable with it and don't want to be the parent who complains and makes a bad name for her kid.

Good Lord. I don't know why I even post on here.
    You leave me no choice, I swish my cape at you. - El Chupacabra

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    The agenda is there for communication between the school and the parents. That's the point of it. It said so right in the note that came home with the agenda. I was hoping to resolve it without having to go to the school. I was hoping that maybe via some simple communication things would be resolved. I was hoping that I could avoid any confrontation because I really am not comfortable with it and don't want to be the parent who complains and makes a bad name for her kid.

Good Lord. I don't know why I even post on here.
    And you're harping on the lunch aids. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Noyance View Post
    Did I say anything about them not eating their lunch? These teachers are babysitters, nurses, and caregivers all rolled into one. What, these little kids should be on their own during the lunch hour? With no assistance?
    Oh geez.
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Some info on the law regarding school lunches:

"(5) Each pupil and each teacher shall have a scheduled interval for a lunch break. O. Reg. 492/01, s. 1.
    (5.1) A pupil’s interval for a lunch break shall be not less than forty consecutive minutes and need not coincide with the scheduled interval for the lunch break of any other pupil or any teacher. O. Reg. 492/01, s. 1.
    (5.2) A teacher’s interval for a lunch break shall be not less than forty consecutive minutes and need not coincide with the scheduled interval for the lunch break of any other teacher or any pupil. O. Reg. 492/01, s. 1."

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_900298_e.htm

And some supervision standards from Ontario's principals:

http://www.principals.ca/Documents/S...0Standards.pdf

So, are the children being given 40 consecutive minutes to eat lunch? Are they being supervised, the whole time? If so, there should be some knowledge of whether or not a child is eating an adequate amount at lunch, and there should be ample time for supervisors to make note of it, if a child is not eating.

A simple check of student lunches at the end of the lunch period, and a quick note home if there is a problem, is a reasonable expectation here.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Banned

Communication and dialogue can solve all of this. It is such a painfully easy thing to do.

Anna and Daiv When was the last time you spent a day at school with your kids? Like, the whole day?
    See what the teachers are expected to deal with, the TAs, the CYWs the lunch monitors. I'm just trying to see how relevant your understandings of what goes on in a school is.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Banned

I heard Hogan knows best. But that's for another thread.

And you're harping on the lunch aids. Sad.
    Who is harping?

Communication and dialogue can solve all of this. It is such a painfully easy thing to do.
    This is why I wrote a note in the agenda.
    Communication.
    Thanks for coming to the party. Better late than never.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Anna and Daiv When was the last time you spent a day at school with your kids? Like, the whole day?
    See what the teachers are expected to deal with, the TAs, the CYWs the lunch monitors. I'm just trying to see how relevant your understandings of what goes on in a school is.
    Are we allowed to spend the entire day at the school watching?
    Also, in regards to your comment about disabled kids being in the classroom. From my understanding, disabled kids have an EA with them at all times - when do they get to eat lunch? And if there is an EA with the disabled kids, I would imagine the lunch monitor wouldn't need to monitor those ones, so therefore there would be even less kids for them to monitor.
    My understanding of the school system is nil at this point since my kid just started school. Other than being in school myself, I don't know much about it. I think, though, that what you're really trying to do is show how superior you are because you are so highly educated in working with kids.

I'm sorry if teachers have to deal with a lot. That's their job. Perhaps if it is too much for them, they should look for a different line of work. When I was in kindergarten, there was a teacher - that was it. They didn't have two RECE's per class. So forgive me, I don't understand why somebody can't be monitoring these kids to make sure the eat their damn lunch.
    It's not even the eating that's so much the issue... I don't get why my kid who usually eats is suddenly not. If teachers and/or monitors can't be expected to watch 25 kids in a single room, how can they be expected to watch them when they are outside at recess. Aren't they supposed to be watching for bullying, too?
    I'm not trying to 'harp' on teachers, monitors, TA's, CYW's (which I didn't know were in schools, I thought they were for troubled kids and did their work outside the school), EA's, or RECE's... but I don't understand why they can't walk around their classroom conversing with the kids about their lunch. Or asking how their day is. Or just having a conversation in general. Is this too much ask?

And looking at the list of people who are, according to DancingQueen, in every school, it looks like there are an awful lot of people which makes me wonder even more why this isn't possible.

I heard Hogan knows best. But that's for another thread.
    So move it to that thread.

The teachers DO do that at that school. They help out but they can't force feed.
    How do you know what school?

Are we allowed to spend the entire day at the school watching?
    Also, in regards to your comment about disabled kids being in the classroom. From my understanding, disabled kids have an EA with them at all times - when do they get to eat lunch? And if there is an EA with the disabled kids, I would imagine the lunch monitor wouldn't need to monitor those ones, so therefore there would be even less kids for them to monitor.
    My understanding of the school system is nil at this point since my kid just started school. Other than being in school myself, I don't know much about it. I think, though, that what you're really trying to do is show how superior you are because you are so highly educated in working with kids.

I'm sorry if teachers have to deal with a lot. That's their job. Perhaps if it is too much for them, they should look for a different line of work. When I was in kindergarten, there was a teacher - that was it. They didn't have two RECE's per class. So forgive me, I don't understand why somebody can't be monitoring these kids to make sure the eat their damn lunch.
    It's not even the eating that's so much the issue... I don't get why my kid who usually eats is suddenly not. If teachers and/or monitors can't be expected to watch 25 kids in a single room, how can they be expected to watch them when they are outside at recess. Aren't they supposed to be watching for bullying, too?
    I'm not trying to 'harp' on teachers, monitors, TA's, CYW's (which I didn't know were in schools, I thought they were for troubled kids and did their work outside the school), EA's, or RECE's... but I don't understand why they can't walk around their classroom conversing with the kids about their lunch. Or asking how their day is. Or just having a conversation in general. Is this too much ask?

And looking at the list of people who are, according to DancingQueen, in every school, it looks like there are an awful lot of people which makes me wonder even more why this isn't possible.
    So you have no idea...
    There are various aspects that would make it difficult to ensure your kids are all eating and whatnot. In many schools lunch time as well as snack/recess time is split up where they are to stay inside for part of the total lunch/snack time, then a second bell rings where they are allowed to go outside. 2 lunch monitors to make sure all the kids eat, check their lunch bags etc... it is not reasonable to expect them to check on every kid in the school every day.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

So you have no idea...
    There are various aspects that would make it difficult to ensure your kids are all eating and whatnot. In many schools lunch time as well as snack/recess time is split up where they are to stay inside for part of the total lunch/snack time, then a second bell rings where they are allowed to go outside. 2 lunch monitors to make sure all the kids eat, check their lunch bags etc... it is not reasonable to expect them to check on every kid in the school every day.

Just to repeat... There are TWO adults in HIS classroom. In case you missed that the first time around. So yes, it is reasonable. Doesn't take much to walk around the room asking if anybody needs help. Doesn't take much to scan the kids, either, to see who is eating.

How do you know what school?
    Still waiting.

Most schools will have lunch monitors, those monitors are good, but they have not yet mastered the art of inter-dimensional space travel. How many kids would you imagine are in your kid's school? think about the classrooms for students with special needs. And heaven forbid if the grade 8 student volunteers want to have their lunch too. Trying to make a kid eat when they are not hungry is like pulling teeth, now imagine doing that with 20 or 30 kids, or 15 of them with special or behavioral needs...
    There are worse things for your kid than not eating his hot dogs... If he's hungry, he will eat it at snack time, otherwise, he will eat dinner at home.
    Teachers, teacher aids, educational assistants ARE NOT YOUR BABYSITTERS.
    Students are not allowed to watch other students. I looked it up. I figured you would've known this seeing as how you know everything that goes on in schools.

Also... From what I've been seeing, lunch monitors are paid for this job. I will have to confirm who monitors in kindergarten, but if they are paid lunch monitors, then their job is to monitor our children at lunch time. They can eat their lunch before or after. So again, I do not feel my expectations are too high in asking them to do the job they are paid to do.

Banned

No one feels sorry for you. You are the problem, accept it and move on. Maybe if they can't feed themselves at all apparently, you should have waited another year. You can do that.

Threads like this remind me just how complex life can be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    Threads like this remind me just how complex life can be.
    This is nothing. We haven't even got into the banning of black sole indoor shoes.

No one feels sorry for you. You are the problem, accept it and move on. Maybe if they can't feed themselves at all apparently, you should have waited another year. You can do that.

I suppose you're right. If my kid can't open his thermos all by himself, he shouldn't go to school.
    Is the same true for doing up his zipper and making sure he has his hat and mitts on in the winter? I wouldn't want to inconvenience those who are being paid to ensure my child is safe.

Maybe the problem is that I have a retarded child. Or I'm sorry. Mentally challenged. I don't think he is challenged at all, but I should make an appointment, I guess, so that I can be sure of it. After all, I obviously stated that he couldn't feed himself at all. That is definitely cause for concern.

I never asked anybody to feel sorry for me, but thank you for pointing that out to me. It's nice that I can refer back to this in case I ever forget.

You are rude. No doubt about that.

It's the children I feel sorry for. They are sent to school at this young age because parents feel it's the correct thing to do. I personally feel some of these kids are too young. It seems everyone wants children to grow up so quickly these days. When I sent my children to school, I expected the adults in the school to be responsible for them. Today there are lunch monitors who are paid to monitor these little people. I expect them to be walking around paying attention. What the heck are they getting paid for? Open the thermos for the child. Help with the juice box. Encourage them to eat the sandwich. These children are young enough to listen and obey the teachers and monitors. If the monitor told a child that they should eat their sandwich first, the child probably would. I feel sorry for the children.

Banned

I'm not rude. Sometimes there is no way to sugarcoat the truth.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information