Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interior crack repair in a poured concrete foundation

Default Interior crack repair in a poured concrete foundation

Has anyone had a small crack in their foundation fixed using the interior injection process?

We have a small crack that only brings in water when we get absurd amounts like we did yesterday, but I'm getting tired of being on towel patrol around the clock when it does happen.

If you've had it done using a contractor can you let me know what it cost, how long it took and who you used (if you give them a good review)

Default Re: Interior crack repair in a poured concrete foundation

Home Depot sells a kit for this. I did it for a friend last fall during the heavy rains. The repair appears to be holding up. Then again, we haven't had the same saturation we had last fall. I believe the kit sells for around $80.00.
    CANADA................"often imitated but never duplicated"

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in "bandaid" type repair kits. Water can do a lot of damage,so you can save a lot of money in the long run by spending to get it fixed right. Give Chris Rooley a call. He is the best right now in town, and does good work.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

Is the crack up high on the wall, or down near the floor of the foundation? Is the area on the outside wall of the foundation open, can you get access to it, or is it obstructed by a driveway or deck or something like that?

If you have open and easy access, the best solution is to dig a trench, exposing the foundation. Clean up the concrete, and lay a waterproof membrane patch slathered in tar over the crack, then fill it back in. Make sure the patch extends beyond the existing crack on all sides. This fix will cost you roughly $100, and a few hours of hard labor.

If the area is not accessible on the outside, you can try an injection fix, but I've heard mixed reviews about them. Some work, some don't, it seems.

A contractor who comes in to fix this 'old school', will cost real money. My guess would be more than $1000, perhaps a lot more.

The problem with cracks in a foundation is that there are rarely ever just one of them. You might patch this area, and the water may start to come in somewhere else, you didn't know about. Or, you might get lucky, and solve the problem completely by addressing this one area.

If it was my house, I would try to deal with it myself with cheaper options, before calling in the big guns.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

We had injection done for two cracks in the poured basement wall that seeped. It was about 8 or 9 years ago. Was a small local crew, can't remember the name, company on Amy, first name may be Mike. Fast and inexpensive...$300ish, IIRC.

That job held up this year when a watermain broke a few blocks away, sending a rushing 6" deep river around my house, which froze the next day. No problems.

I have used McLelland and been satisfied. Neat and fair.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

yes mclelland is really good....OTTO meinke is another contractor that could help you out.
    better to burnout,,,,than fade away

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information