Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rock n Roll All Nite, and PARTY Every Day

Default Re: Rock n Roll All Nite, and PARTY Every Day

Quote Originally Posted by Light_Keeper View Post
    May I ask a question here, without being belittled??
    I thought that the Pagan religion was one (1) of the first religions and during the Roman Crusades they were over thrown by the Catholic followers.
    I mean NO disrespect to anyone, but I believe first we must quantify what the word religion means to one's self. Otherwise this conversation would be mute. JMOP
    I would think we also need to quantify what you mean by Pagan religion.

I was unaware it was in any way as organized as any Christian denomination.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

This is the definition, that I follow

A religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.[note 1] Many religions have narratives, symbols, and sacred histories that aim to explain the meaning of life and/or to explain the origin of life or the Universe. From their beliefs about the cosmos and human nature, people may derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle. According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world.[1]

Many religions may have organized behaviors, clergy, a definition of what constitutes adherence or membership, holy places, and scriptures. The practice of a religion may include rituals, sermons, commemoration or veneration (of a deity, gods or goddesses), sacrifices, festivals, feasts, trance, initiations, funerary services, matrimonial services, meditation, prayer, music, art, dance, public service or other aspects of human culture. Religions may also contain mythology.[2]

The word religion is sometimes used interchangeably with faith, belief system or sometimes set of duties;[3]
    We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    I would think we also need to quantify what you mean by Pagan religion.

I was unaware it was in any way as organized as any Christian denomination.
    Are you suggesting that Christianity is the only religion
    We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey

Are you suggesting that Christianity is the only religion
    No, that would obviously be incorrect.
    But I do believe there is One God almighty, omnipresent , omniscient God, beside whom there is no other. Anyone who seeks Him is on the only correct path.

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt View Post
    So is religion unnecessary? Is every religion that encourages one to seek God (regardless of the search methodology) correct?

In your opinion, could I seek God, and successfully come to him, by way of, say, Druidic practices?

Are religions just tools to be used?
    A lot of religions DO encourage one to seek God. So in that I personally think they might be on the right track.

When the PRACTICES of a religion do not honour God, I would have to say no, you can't come to God that way. I believe that, as the bible says, all out righteousness is as a filthy rag. So, IMO, there is NO physical thing we can do to gain acceptance by Him. Only submitting to Him will do that, and seeking Him. God knows the heart.

Are religions tools?? I guess so, and are all to often used for the wrong reasons.

I think radical jihadists are submissive to God, seeking Him, and I think if God knows the heart, then he knows that those crazies believe what they're doing is honouring God (in their mind).

But I guess the bottom line is, your book says they're wrong, and their book says they're right.

I think you have to admit, that for all your conjecture, you have a fundamental and unspoken assumption; seeking God, submitting to God, etc, is all irrelevant if it's not done the way it's prescribed in 'your' book.
    I suggest you try to find the Golden Rule in the Koran.

That's a simple, logical, premise, further emphasized by Christ's words in the book, "Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself".

And this simple thing leads me to believe that it isn't really religion driving jihadists, not fundamentally. They only started their actions relatively recently. They had easy access to North America for many, many years before they began their jihad. Why didn't they??

I think they are being used.

So, now that we have established that the golden rule is in the Qur'an (it's actually a frequently mentioned concept), can we not say the Qur'an is equal to your New Testament as a path to God? Is Islam a perfectly acceptable alternative to Christianity if one is seeking salvation?

Jihadists aside, there's plenty of crazies in every religion who misinterpret their holy books. Re: Westboro Baptist Church.
    Then it should be obvious to you that jihadists are on the wrong track.

Now, I DO believe that those who seek God are on the right track. But there is something very important that they will eventually find. And denying it will keep them from salvation.

Check this, I found it interesting, on several levels.

http://jerusalemchannel.tv/koran-con...-christianity/

Maybe we should ponder is thought, " There is but One GOD, and that GOD is known by many names".
    Kindness, Love, Respect and many other positive emotions are seen in most religions.

I look at it as a journey, there are many different modes of transportation to get to the same place, so is it with , GOD and "Religion. JMOP

Example here would be; I may walk to Sudbury and make many stops on the way, while another many fly and get there sooner, or perhaps one might drive and spend a night in a cabin on the way.
    No one is wrong , they all end up at the same place, just different times.

We're all going to the same place, and in a roundabout way, we're going back to the beginning; before we were.

What that is, may or may not be God.
    how true that feels to me, call it what you may but don't condemn those who need to label everything. I have come to understand that some people have a need to fit every idea and thought into a nice box , otherwise I think they would simple fall to pieces.
    JMOP

Maybe we should ponder is thought, " There is but One GOD, and that GOD is known by many names".
    Kindness, Love, Respect and many other positive emotions are seen in most religions.

I look at it as a journey, there are many different modes of transportation to get to the same place, so is it with , GOD and "Religion. JMOP

Example here would be; I may walk to Sudbury and make many stops on the way, while another many fly and get there sooner, or perhaps one might drive and spend a night in a cabin on the way.
    No one is wrong , they all end up at the same place, just different times.
    There is just one problem.

A Man, who claimed to be God, said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."

Now, I'm willing to entertain the possibility that, unlike many Christians believe that one might not have to know who Jesus is, fully, to be accepted by God. But whoever denies Him has a clear and final fate.

God know the heart. He will judge.

I'm paraphrasing here, and I'm not trying to be condescending towards your beliefs, but this is what I'm getting.

So all religions are not wrong, but they're not wholly complete, and they must lead to Christianity and accepting Jesus to be of any real value.

Not quite in line with the above, but I think it's your assertion that truthfully accepting Christ is the only way to submit to God; and He knows if you're faking.

Fair enough, I was curious about your stance on other religions, and their viability as paths towards God. I got answers.

Quickly back to this: It's not obvious from a theological perspective. It's kind of obvious if you're any sort of decent human being, but jihadists are picking and choosing from their book, the same way radical Christians pick and choose from their book (actually they generally pick and choose from the Jews' book). Overt radicalized tendencies seem to be most pervasive in religious groups with no centralized authority.
    Blunt, I commend you on a very clear comment.

Please note my comment to Light keeper, also.

I certainly agree with your last statement. But though many Christian denominations have no central authority, they certainly have a core group of beliefs, often promoted and taught by independent bible colleges.

We're all going to the same place, and in a roundabout way, we're going back to the beginning; before we were.

What that is, may or may not be God.
    I do believe in the judgement of God, and He waits for us, at the end, to "separate the sheep from the goats".

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    I do believe in the judgement of God, and He waits for us, at the end, to "separate the sheep from the goats".
    I do not believe that GOD is as cruel as Christians believe, JMOP
    I believe in a Spiritual entity that is based in LOVE, LIGHT, all forgiving. I do not believe that a Superior Being such as GOD , needs anything from me, as that being is able to achieve much greater things. IF "GOG" is all there is what could s/he possible need that s/he doesn't already have.

I do not believe that GOD is as cruel as Christians believe, JMOP
    AS Christians believe?? We believe this is a God who sent His own Son, part of Himself, to pay the price of our sin. What could be more loving than that??

I believe in a Spiritual entity that is based in LOVE, LIGHT, all forgiving.
    I believe that too. BUT. I also believe in His Holiness, and purity. And as such, He will not, cannot allow sin into His presence. Those who will not submit to Him will have to go elsewhere, as that is where their choices led them.
    I do not believe that a Superior Being such as GOD , needs anything from me, as that being is able to achieve much greater things. IF "GOG" is all there is what could s/he possible need that s/he doesn't already have.
    You called God "loving". Wouldn't you agree that loving is properly aimed at one who has the choice to love??? If you could force someone to love you, how would that be?? Really love?? No.

One more comment. He/she does not apply to God. God is not a man, or part of Mankind. God has the characteristics of both genders, and passed them on to us, in two parts, male and female, so that together they become the "one flesh" in marriage.

Tell people they are DAMED to HELL, for their choices, after you give them freedom of choice is both Cruel and a use of Force. Forcing others to change their believes or spending their afterlife in a burning Hell is a definite use of fear and trying to force others to join you.

Tell people they are DAMED to HELL, for their choices, after you give them freedom of choice is both Cruel and a use of Force. Forcing others to change their believes or spending their afterlife in a burning Hell is a definite use of fear and trying to force others to join you.
    All of that would be, if it were true.

I never told anyone they were going to hell. Neither did I believe it's a place of fire.

The basic truth is God will not allow sin near Him. Now, since being near Him is heaven, then those who choose not to love and submit to Him won't be near Him.

There will be no force, no fear, no torture, no cruelty. The absence of God is worse than any of that.

And that is what free will and choice is all about.

If He's all-powerful, and benevolent; why doesn't he just absolve us of our sin when we die, and allow us to be with Him?

Seems to me like anything less than that would either be:

A.) Not all-powerful
    or
    B.) Not benevolent
    Because God is holy.

And if one rejected God all his life, where would he go??

Once again, you want the free will without the consequences.

If He's all-powerful, and benevolent; why doesn't he just absolve us of our sin when we die, and allow us to be with Him?

Seems to me like anything less than that would either be:

A.) Not all-powerful
    or
    B.) Not benevolent
    He did absolve everyone of their sin. But people have to accept the absolution. It's called forgiveness.

Here is how that works. (I know you won;t believe it, but I will explain it nonetheless.)

You speak of absolution as if it doesn't cost anyone anything. That God can just snap his fingers and be done with it.

When someone owes you $1000, but they come to you and ask you to forgive them, you can either grant them forgiveness or not.
    If you grant them forgiveness, you are the one who pays the debt. You swallowed the $1000. It is your loss, but your debtor is now free of the debt.

If you choose not to forgive, the debtor needs to keep working to pay off the debt.

Jesus Christ died to pay your moral debt to God.
    He offers you forgiveness, but of course you need to accept the fact that you have rebelled against God and are a sinner.
    If you choose not to accept what Jesus Christ, the Son of God has done for you, you have chosen to pay the debt nonetheless. And of course you do not have the resources to pay that debt.
    So you must suffer the consequences of your actions and your choices.
    It's the way all of life works. If it wasn't, justice as an absolute standard would not exist.
    If you choose not to be forgiven, you choose to pay the price yourself. And that is tragic.

Thus He is both all powerful and benevolent. And He leaves you with a choice to boot.
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

I believe God loves, and that He is holy.

Trying to drag down God to man's level is a common practice.

"Note to self: Creating inferior beings using my omnipotent image tends to confuse the crap out of my creations. Will have to rethink that strategy, in my next project."

- The Almighty.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information