Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: This Winter is Starting off Nasty!

Default This Winter is Starting off Nasty!

And no, I'm not talking about the weather. I'm talking about this forum.

Usually, around this time of year, activity ratchets up around here, as people are going outside less, and staying closer to home. Summer is quiet, for obvious reasons, but so far this year, it has stayed quiet, all the way through autumn. I often look at how many members are perusing the boards, and I have been somewhat surprised lately, when I see only a dozen or so people looking at the Soapbox, at times when I would expect a lot more activity.

And further to that, there seems to be an air of added tension around here these days. I realize a lot of people get grumpy and crotchety as the cold weather sets in, and we all have to scramble for our shovels and mittens, but this year seems more noticeable to me.

So what is it? The condition of the city in general? The state of affairs in the world? Lots of people dealing with serious personal issues? Why are things around here turning so ugly, for no real apparent reason?

I think everyone, including myself, should take a good look, and try to figure out what's eating people these days. People just looking to shoot the breeze, or get into elaborate discussions about important issues, are getting shwacked by grouches, from out of the blue. Good discussions are getting derailed by persistent negativity, and people who barely ever post are getting sniped.

I don't see how any of this is good for the health, or sustainability, of this forum.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

IMHO

Default Re: This Winter is Starting off Nasty!

Are you a moderator in waiting? Why would anyone care about stuff like this? Life is too short.

Why would anyone care about anything?

Some folks collect stamps. Spend their whole day making sure nobody tries to lick them. To them, it's really important.

I like to engage in discussion. I'd like to see places where discussion takes place, grow and thrive, rather than shrink and wither, and end up a watering hole for a few miserable souls to rant and rave at each other.

Call me crazy, but that's how I see it.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

We are down to 228 'active members' here. What does that mean? People who have posted in the last month, the last three months?

6,300 members, and only 228 are 'active'. That's less than 4% of the total membership!

Nothing lasts forever.

And I suspect that a forum alive for 14 years in this day and age is quite remarkable.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

A lot of members have been bullied away.
    You leave me no choice, I swish my cape at you. - El Chupacabra

Getting older and as such not as prepared to simply dismiss things as they once were? Tired of the same circular arguments. I post until people start to simply reword the things they say and try passing it off as a fresh new thought. I try to make concessions, hoping the others will reciprocate and nothing. Try it three, maybe four times then write it off as a foolish gesture and move on. Then there are the ever present bullies and having to sit back and watch or get yourself in trouble going to someone else' aid when the powers that be are proving just how uber tolerant they can be. Add to this some picking simply for the sake of picking and there you have it, a vicious circle or cycle, depending on how you look at it. Just tiring of the same old, same old I guess.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Social media can be blamed for the decline of message boards such as this. It's not a board that caters to a common interest so naturally people don't have any real reason to come here. As for the nastiness, it's the same as it's always been.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

The nastiness comes and goes depending on the posters involved and what has been said. I have a couple of personal "haters" who respond to my posts in an atagonizing way. I give it back, as I can dish it out just as well. Long time and active members seem to know their boundaries and who they ae dealing with, .... those people are rarely problems. It is the sporatic posters who chime in once a month or after a thread has be tossed about for a week ot so that really make the place suffer. Posters like Barry, Left Foot, Stupified, IMHO, Lynys, Bluesky, Aristotle, Hans, Anapeg, Official SooNet Cat, and myself (I feel humbled to include myself with such SooNet veterans); know how to take each other. Although they seem to fight constantly, they have an underlying respect I am sure few will admit to having. SooNet will survive, 14 years is a long time to just up and die. Sorry if I missed someone that deservies to be on the list, ... I think I got most of them.
    Why are you hiding behind a username?

I'm offended that I'm not on the list.
    I guess because people don't check SooNet daily, their opinions don't matter.
    What defines a veteran SooNet'er?

Some of those listed do have an underlying respect...

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    I'm offended that I'm not on the list.
    I guess because people don't check SooNet daily, their opinions don't matter.
    What defines a veteran SooNet'er?

Some of those listed do have an underlying respect...
    Then make up your own list, ... then I could be offended too, ... if I cared.

I'm not really offended...
    You didn't answer my question, though... not that you need to, would just be nice.

As far as 'the list' goes I would add DQ. If anyone can get me to question my ideas/beliefs he can.

There's always been nastiness though I think some perceive nastiness where it isn't.

In the words of Jerry Maguire "You think we’re fighting, and I think we’re finally talking."

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    As far as 'the list' goes I would add DQ. If anyone can get me to question my ideas/beliefs he can.

There's always been nastiness though I think some perceive nastiness where it isn't.

In the words of Jerry Maguire "You think we’re fighting, and I think we’re finally talking."
    *Like*

Since growing up and having a family, my time on here is less frequent... I still lurk though, cause I love me some Soonet drama.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

"I cannot live on bread alone...the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - RWGR, 2008

"I did not eat today. I do not need to eat any day, because the presence of my dearest Lynys sustains me" - Aristotle, 2014

"There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people; Religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin." - Linus Van Pelt

"If there is a god, why did he make me an atheist?" - Ricky Gervais

I'm not really offended...
    You didn't answer my question, though... not that you need to, would just be nice.
    I guess I see a "veteran" SooNetter as someone who has consistantly posted for many many years. You made a gazillion posts early in your SooNet career, but just come back to us recently, ... thus, your high post number. I guess maybe if we (you and me) can bury the hatchet, you would make the "list", ....

Quote Originally Posted by lynys View Post
    Since growing up and having a family, my time on here is less frequent... I still lurk though, cause I love me some Soonet drama.
    That is only because there is squat to do in Dryden, ....

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if most people don't feel comfortable enough to post (for whatever reason), and the few regulars around here can't seem to find a way to explore topics for the sake of a discussion, and this place isn't really growing, and we aren't likely to have a crop of new members anytime soon....

I suppose I am just about done with the whole thing. I don't see any point, trying to make things interesting, trying to delve into topics in a meaningful way, or putting my sincere thoughts out there, taking the time to really think about things, and then pose them in a way that will cause people to engage.

Starting to look like a big waste of time. Might just decide to skip it, altogether. Find something else to keep my mind stimulated.

Going to have to ponder that a bit, and make up my mind.

IMHO

This particular thread has turned out to actually be quite informative. People are not sniping at one another and I sense real dialogue. I like that.

A lot of members have been bullied away.
    That's for sure! I know several individuals who posted a few times but were new to the public discussion thing, and when they were attacked they left, never to show up again. Sad commentary on who we are when hiding behind anonymity
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information