Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Going Too Far

Default Going Too Far

If you take religious beliefs literally and then take them too far, is it mental illness, or just a really strong belief?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/kaling-wal...133951543.html

Apparently, this woman had friends over, helping her pray for the man to rise from the dead. So, if she was nuts, she wasn't the only nut in the tree.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Default Re: Going Too Far

This type of behaviour is nothing new.

One might say that faith in anything is nuts.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Well, the moral of the story is, it becomes virtually impossible to reason with someone who deliberately chooses mythological nonsense over reality.

And this story is glaring proof of what happens when you take it too far.

But it doesn't have to get that extreme, to pose problems. There are lesser examples of the same thing, right here on these boards.
    Currently being ignored: The Voice, The Official Cat of Soonet, Barry Morris, and Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Left Sock View Post
    Well, the moral of the story is, it becomes virtually impossible to reason with someone who deliberately chooses mythological nonsense over reality.

But it doesn't have to get that extreme, to pose problems. There are lesser examples of the same thing, right here on these boards.
    It was obvious from the start that your purpose in posting this even was to be insulting.

Doesn't do much for either your credibility or your willingness to engage in reasonable discussion.

Especially when you ignore the extreme ends of those who hold the same beliefs as yourself.

I would say, that we are far more likely dealing with mental illness here than anything else.
    When you have no knowledge you have no argument.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    I would say, that we are far more likely dealing with mental illness here than anything else.
    Entirely possible.

Also, in my experience, people with such radical beliefs are loners, with no one to advise them of their folly.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    It was obvious from the start that your purpose in posting this even was to be insulting.

Doesn't do much for either your credibility or your willingness to engage in reasonable discussion.

Especially when you ignore the extreme ends of those who hold the same beliefs as yourself.
    Until people become aware that they have been operating with blinders on for a really long time, re-introducing reality is the only antidote.

The problem with a lot of religious folks is that they isolate themselves together, feed off of their collective mythology, and when they get out into the world, they see demons everywhere.

Isolation, mythology, and a false sense of superiority are the things that turn normal people into the type that keep dead bodies lying around for weeks.

I doubt a false sense of superiority had anything to do with it.

Well, thinking your beliefs are the only right ones in existence, and that everyone who believes differently is afflicted with some sort of evil, is indeed a recipe for a false sense of superiority. Moral superiority, to be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    I doubt a false sense of superiority had anything to do with it.
    It never does, but that doesn't stop the accusations of it.

But hey, getting as much mileage as one can out of a solitary event is pretty common.

Well, thinking your beliefs are the only right ones in existence, and that everyone who believes differently is afflicted with some sort of evil, is indeed a recipe for a false sense of superiority. Moral superiority, to be more specific.
    Odd, I don't remember those statements on this board.

Anyone??

Play coy all you want, it makes no difference to me.

Anyone who is not a Christian, is considered 'Godless'. Godlessness is synonymous with evil. Because if you don't have God, what's left?

I hear that rhetoric all the time.

You honestly think you born-again types are invisible in what you actually believe?

Barry just to cross your thought with the socks thought.

I had 3 members of a Church in Marathon that worked for me 25 years ago. I am pretty sure that you probably know at least 1 of the Families. Those kids worked as hard as almost every kid that ever worked for me.

Point is that they all went to school in the Basement of the Church they were good kids but they were socially inept to a point.

I have a pretty good grasp of what went on in their lives and their Church and there was none of this Crazy Crap this is the stuff of cults. They are such a small percentage of the equation that it is almost immeasurable.

The problem with a lot of religious folks is that they isolate themselves together, feed off of their collective mythology, and when they get out into the world, they see demons everywhere.
    Or drones over the St. Mary's River?

Oh, care to provide examples?

See, here is the funny part, you are doing to Christianity right now the very thing that would make you howl with indignation should anyone do the same thing to something you hold near and dear:taking the example of a radical few and trying to paint the entire group as just like them. The people you cite in the OP are no more representative of Christianity than the Buddhist monk who sets himself on fire is representative of Buddhism.

Nowhere in any Christian dogma can you find anything telling people to keep a corpse around because God will get to it in due time to restore life to it, in fact, we are told the exact opposite: we are born once, and we die once. End of story (as far as our earthly existence is concerned). And I would assume nowhere in Buddhist teachings will one find the section on how to inflame oneself, and what fluid is the best to use.

Again, your posts here just make your "Winter" thread over in Soapbox seem, now, nothing more than a sad joke.
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

People who navigate through life placing mythology above reality are inherently dangerous to everyone else in society, and a danger to themselves.

It varies by degrees, and this case is an extreme example, but if you look around in the lives of anyone who places mythology ahead of reality, you will find evidence of a damaged life.

Anyone who is not a Christian, is considered 'Godless'. Godlessness is synonymous with evil.

Two distinct issues. A non-Christian is not seen as "Godless". Some may be, but then again some professed Christians may be. A Godless person is someone who knowingly rejects God. In order to knowingly reject something you must obviously have come to terms with its reality.

You honestly think you born-again types are invisible in what you actually believe?

Well, I am "Born Again", in the baptismal sense of my faith, but probably not the Born again you are talking about here. Nonetheless, when have Born Again Christians ever tried to hide their beliefs? If anything, it's the opposite, and admittedly at times to a fault.

But to infer Christians try to hide what they really believe is simply wrong.

It varies by degrees, and this case is an extreme example, but if you look around in the lives of anyone who places mythology ahead of reality, you will find evidence of a damaged life.
    And here we go with more logical fallacies.

If every single person who is mentally unstable in some way today is Christian, all 100% of them, then your statement may hold some validity. But as soon as that number slips to 99.999%, then your statement begins to lose validity.

Now, let's assume that for people with mental illness today we can more or less slice it right down the middle: 50% hold religious views, 50% do not.

Now your statement looks anti-intellectual and silly.

"But to infer Christians try to hide what they really believe is simply wrong."

Those who are religious zealots; the born-agains, the evangelicals, the apologists, or anyone else who places their beliefs up to a standard of higher importance than the life they are currently leading, conceal what they believe every single day, when interacting with the secular world.

It's not easy to hold a job, or shop at a store, if you go around telling people they are going to burn in hell. It makes life awkward, the alienation too intense. They would eventually cease to function in society. So instead, they think it, and keep their mouths shut. But it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    And here we go with more logical fallacies.

If every single person who is mentally unstable in some way today is Christian, all 100% of them, then your statement may hold some validity. But as soon as that number slips to 99.999%, then your statement begins to lose validity.

Now, let's assume that for people with mental illness today we can more or less slice it right down the middle: 50% hold religious views, 50% do not.

Now your statement looks anti-intellectual and silly.
    Religious zeal is an addiction, just as dangerous as heroin, or cocaine, and once it becomes acute enough, it leads to mental illness, just like other forms of addiction do.

People who navigate through life placing mythology above reality
    Could be edited To Add: "Except Buddhist's" .

Just saying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information