Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everything we thought we knew..

Default Everything we thought we knew..

Interesting read on psychedelics:
    http://www.iflscience.com/brain/new-...ealth-problems

Consider new research about addiction and we may see an interesting new world unfold before us.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Default Re: Everything we thought we knew..

So zoomers are good they say. Where was this info 30 years ago!

Not the best article on it unless you only want to highlight the potential pluses. Interesting though.

The observational nature of the study cannot definitively show that psychedelics caused these effects, Johnson says, because those who chose to use psychedelics may have been psychologically healthier before using these drugs. However, the results probably reflect a benefit from psychedelics -- the study controlled for many relevant variables and found that, as the researchers expected, other drugs assessed in the study were linked to increased harms, he says. The use of nonaddictive psychedelic drugs may exacerbate schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders and can sometimes elicit feelings of anxiety, fear, panic and paranoia, which can lead to dangerous behavior, Johnson says.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0309174507.htm
    The researchers said that the findings could also be due to the characteristics of psychedelic drug users, rather than the characteristics of psychedelic drugs themselves. A previous study found that psychedelic users “reported less materialistic values and greater mysticism, spirituality, and concern for others” – all characteristics that could reduce their risk of suicide.

“The picture is undoubtedly complex,” the researchers said. “Nevertheless, future research should attempt to delineate longitudinal predictors of classic psychedelic use that also relate to mental health and suicidal behavior.”
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/s...idal-behavior/

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    So zoomers are good they say. Where was this info 30 years ago!
    Can you show me where they said this?
    - Mark Twain

I always said psychedelic drugs were good for people and they all said I was why is Judge Judy scolding a unicorn right now?
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Can you show me where they said this?
    A history of psychedelic drug use is associated with less psychological distress and fewer suicidal thoughts, planning and attempts
    Sounds like a good thing doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    Sounds like a good thing doesn't it?
    It sounds like a theory that would merit more research.
    put that one line into context, and one can see that they are not saying anything is good for people, the entire article is just showing that there was a failure in showing links. The rest is just describing what the data showed.
    - Mark Twain

It really is interesting how many people claim to "Love science" yet have such little understanding for how it is done, nor the principals behind it.
    I believe I heard a comedian say once (I can't recall who)
    "You don't love science, you have sex with it, then sneak out the window before it wakes up"
    - Mark Twain

Scientific method and analysis should be taught in school and as important as other basic fundamentals of education. From approx grade 5 and up (although the statistics portion of it is a real pain in the arse). It would teach people to be a little more objective of things and not eat up and all tripe spewed out by some loudmouth with an agenda.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

It really is interesting how many people claim to "Love science" yet have such little understanding for how it is done, nor the principals behind it.
    I believe I heard a comedian say once (I can't recall who)
    "You don't love science, you have sex with it, then sneak out the window before it wakes up"
    Know what else is interesting? How many people can't seem to interpret tone when in print when it is painfully obvious.

"So zoomers are good they say. Where was this info 30 years ago!

Not the best article on it unless you only want to highlight the potential pluses. Interesting though."
    How can you not see the sarcasm in the '30 years ago' line. Note the exclamation point as he was not really asking a question. He even says right after that that it is only highlighting the pluses. Yes this article does show pluses which he hysterically played on when referencing his younger days. Wake up man. The first thing you do is quote it and ask where does it say that?. Seriously???
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    Know what else is interesting? How many people can't seem to interpret tone when in print when it is painfully obvious.

How can you not see the sarcasm in the '30 years ago' line. Note the exclamation point as he was not really asking a question. He even says right after that that it is only highlighting the pluses. Yes this article does show pluses which he hysterically played on when referencing his younger days. Wake up man. The first thing you do is quote it and ask where does it say that?. Seriously???
    You sure are asking me to "read" a lot of things that can't be read.
    - Mark Twain

Don't you use that tone with me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    Proof that our 4 legged friends are more perceptive than many humans.

You sure are asking me to "read" a lot of things that can't be read.
    Show me where I asked you to read a lot of things that can't be read.

Basically it amounts to not so much what is taken rather the dose that is imbibed? Once one surpasses a medicinal dosage anything is toxic? Simply asking for clarification purposes.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information