Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bed Bugs in an apartment

IMHO

Default Bed Bugs in an apartment

A friend of mine rented an apartment in a large local complex. Shortly after moving in, bed bugs were discovered. The landlord sent in a company to "fumigate" the place and said it was now bug free. A few days later the bugs were back in full force. Another tenant in the building stated that the previous tenant had moved out this same apartment after only 3 weeks due to the infestation. Should the landlords have been required to let tenants know that there is a bedbug problem? Should the landlords now be responsible for moving my friend to another apartment...free of bed bugs? Should the landlords be required to pick up the moving costs that will be incurred?
    It would seem that this building must have a bed bug problem throughout and spraying only knocks them down until new ones move in from other apartments.T he whole building would need to be fumigated. My friend has had to move to a hotel and of course this is very costly.
    Has anyone experienced this and if so how did you deal with it? Where do the responsibilities lie?

Default Re: Bed Bugs in an apartment

We recently had a bed bug infestation in the group home I work at. Eggs are immune to fumigation and a re-fumigation needs to happen 10 days afterwards. in the interim constant cleaning needs to happen, and that is a big problem in apartment buildings because everyone in the building has to keep the cleaning up.
    Bed bugs do not transfer diseases, and realistically pose no health problems so I'm not sure if the board of health can do anything about it, they are a pest, and annoying, but are not dangerous.
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

I do believe you have a fiduciary trust with the landlord to supply a clean move in condition apartment. Contacting past tenants would only serve to bolster your position. Documentation, pictures and signatures all the way round. The furniture now requires some time in a decontamination container just to be fit to carry on life and what do you sit on, sleep on, eat on until everything receives a green light. More to the point, who is going to pay?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Banned

IMHO, why did you get everyone squirming about bedbugs and then not reply to your own thread?

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Chachinga View Post
    IMHO, why did you get everyone squirming about bedbugs and then not reply to your own thread?
    I am simply looking for others that may have encountered the same problem. I would like to know what they did about the situation in terms of liability. I appreciate the comments so far... any insights are appreciated...suggestions etc. Thanks.

Banned

Surely they have approached the owners about this?

What did they say or do?

It would also be nice to know where this building is so it can be avoided by prospective renters and also get further input from others who may have rented there or know someone who did.

Tenant moved in, unit free and clear of bed bugs, therefore no recourse.

Landlord is, by the sounds of things treating the unit, therefore making an effort to remediate the problem. (Big bucks by the way).

Tenant should educate themselves to prevent further infestations, eg. Mattress covers, washing clothing in hot water. You may be able to seek compensation but it isn't a guarantee.

You could try to take landlord to the board for interfering with the reasonable enjoyment of the unit, but like I mentioned since the landlord is treating the unit I'd doubt you'd be successful.

Bed bugs are a large issue in the west end in particular. It isn't due to hygiene, they are known as travellers. Read up on prevention and the infestations should stop.

All the landlord has to do is treat the building and make sure it is pest free. So instead of moving out just allow that to happen. If you don't then move on your own dime.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

IMHO

The landlord is now "fumigating" the unit and a couple units nearby. They are making a reasonable attempt to rectify the situation so...for now....the situation is under control. Thanks for all the positive input....esp regarding the tenancy act..

Banned

Not going to tell us where this is to possibly save some people future grief?

IMHO

Not going to tell us where this is to possibly save some people future grief?
    Not as long as the landlords are willing to co-operate and do what is necessary. There is a warning on this site about business bashing for a reason.

Banned

Stating the location of a complex that was previously infested with bedbugs and is again now has nothing to do with business bashing!!

EVERYONE should know.
    Is this place listed in the bed bug registry??
    Your friend should be doing their duty by reporting it to make sure that it is.

IMHO

I have no idea if it is in the bed bug registry.... we are quite happy that the landlord involved is taking steps to correct the situation. If successful...there is no need to warn anyone...the problem would be solved. If remediation does not work this time...then...further action will have to be taken. We have been assured that what they are doing today and tomorrow will work. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by IMHO; 03-24-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Banned

It had them before, it has them now, that makes it a candidate for the registry.

http://registry.bedbugs.net/country/canada

Type in the address and see if it's listed, if not it should be, immediately.
    There is a need to warn EVERYONE.

How gross!

Stating the location of a complex that was previously infested with bedbugs and is again now has nothing to do with business bashing!!

EVERYONE should know.
    Is this place listed in the bed bug registry??
    Your friend should be doing their duty by reporting it to make sure that it is.
    Chachi I think you are going a bit overboard with this whole thing.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    Chachi I think you are going a bit overboard with this whole thing.
    I don't think anyone looking for an apartment now or in the future would agree!!
    This place should be in the registry as should any others that have had or still have bugs.

I don't think anyone looking for an apartment now or in the future would agree!!
    I don't think they care.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    I don't think they care.
    That isn't even logical, cat!!

Sure it is. People who live in apartments have no right to complain. They could buy a house if they don't want to deal with these things.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information